Cowl flap circuit breaker

Mac80

After oil change and plane wash today I noticed that my flaps were not closing. I opened them so the FBO could access the snap connectors attached to the flaps to lower bottom cowl.

I want it closed to preheat the next time I fly and tried a couple times final got it closed but 2 amp breaker kept popping. I can fly this time of year without opening the cowl flaps as it unlikely to get warm again till spring here in Missouri.

Could putting push spring snap connection off 180 degrees backward cause excessive friction. I can fly with closed now as it is cool and am not really wanting to open it till I let the shop see the problem.

I cannot imagine that having an oil service would mess with the cowl flat electric motor other than the flap mechanical connectors that need to come off to drop the bottom cowl.

A short in cowl motor or connector may cause the breaker to pop out but why would that happen with just changing oil?

They also cleaned the engine. I believe they use some type of kerosene, and they also washed the plane and may have used a type spray wax.

Has anyone had problems with cowl flap breaker popping off and how was it resolved. Suggestions appreciated.

On 11/24/2021 at 6:20 PM, Mac80 said:

After oil change and plane wash today I noticed that my flaps were not closing. I opened them so the FBO could access the snap connectors attached to the flaps to lower bottom cowl.

I want it closed to preheat the next time I fly and tried a couple times final got it closed but 2 amp breaker kept popping. I can fly this time of year without opening the cowl flaps as it unlikely to get warm again till spring here in Missouri.

Could putting push spring snap connection off 180 degrees backward cause excessive friction. I can fly with closed now as it is cool and am not really wanting to open it till I let the shop see the problem.

I cannot imagine that having an oil service would mess with the cowl flat electric motor other than the flap mechanical connectors that need to come off to drop the bottom cowl.

A short in cowl motor or connector may cause the breaker to pop out but why would that happen with just changing oil?

They also cleaned the engine. I believe they use some type of kerosene, and they also washed the plane and may have used a type spray wax.

Has anyone had problems with cowl flap breaker popping off and how was it resolved. Suggestions appreciated.

A friend with a 252 burned out a cowl flap motor twice after a recent oil change. Turns out the flap was catching on the new oil filter, which happened to be slightly larger than the recommended oil filter. Seems the correct oil filter is in short supply in some areas.

The electric motor is not hermetic, during oil change, or even worse cleaning the engine, must be careful protecting this small electric motor.

If the breaker pops out there is certainly a short circuit in the electric motor that drives the cowl flap.

i suggest you bring back the plane to the shop, disassemble the electric motor 

, check, and clean it. It may be enough to fix it. If not let us know you will have to overhaul it.

Philip

16 hours ago, Tom 4536 said:

A friend with a 252 burned out a cowl flap motor twice after a recent oil change. Turns out the flap was catching on the new oil filter, which happened to be slightly larger than the recommended oil filter. Seems the correct oil filter is in short supply in some areas.

The correct oil filter is a 48108, short filter, the 48109 is too long and will contact the cowl flap torque tube.

Clarence

• 3 weeks later...

Pilot Report

Cowl flap motor IM-15 Planetary gear motor removed 11-30-21, repaired by Allied Motion, 3887 Napier Field Rd., Dothan, Al. 36303; 334-983-3542 on 12-08-21 replacement Installed on 12-16-21.

Defect stated worn by usage.  

All parts where replaced

Works excellent. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1