GPS Outage?

exM20K

Today around 1:00PM CST, Igot a voice annunciation “terrain not available” and a “no GPS position message” on both displays.  I have two receivers.  It corrected itself in a few minutes.  Is it possible this was a GPS outage or local Interference.?

-Dan 

A6572A7B-E79F-4046-B741-3CC030A956EE.jpeg

Local interference or jamming most likely. bring up the satellite page next time - it will show zero satellites being received when it’s interference or jamming. we would have to loose several satellites before we had an “outage” and then we would see our position degrade from 3d to 2d - not going to happen. there are 32 of them up there IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@kortopates that is what the club plane shows in the video.

@N201MKTurbo nothing was in the notams; it appears this is 5G related.  Our junior Senator, who is very good on GA issues, has sponsored a senate bill to compensate for whatever damages are incurred (eg: purchase and installation of filters on GPS receivers), and I've offered to provide written or in-person testimony / data logs.  

-dan

11 minutes ago, exM20K said:

@kortopates that is what the club plane shows in the video.

@N201MKTurbo nothing was in the notams; it appears this is 5G related.  Our junior Senator, who is very good on GA issues, has sponsored a senate bill to compensate for whatever damages are incurred (eg: purchase and installation of filters on GPS receivers), and I've offered to provide written or in-person testimony / data logs.  

-dan

You are assuming it is 5G related. It may be. It may not be. There are plenty of things in this world that emit broadband RF interference that could do that. Not to mention illegal GPS jammers that are readily available on the web. Have you reported it to the FAA and the FCC?

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

You are assuming it is 5G related. It may be. It may not be. There are plenty of things in this world that emit broadband RF interference that could do that. Not to mention illegal GPS jammers that are readily available on the web. Have you reported it to the FAA and the FCC?

Yes, that is the assumption, and you are correct that it could be unrelated jamming or interference.  We have reported it to the FAA/FSDO.  My understanding is, though, that there has been a recent rollout of 5G service local to us.  I don’t know if this is true or if true, responsible for this interference.  
-dan

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

I got those messages a couple of times, momentarily prior to my GPS antenna failing completely.

Difference is that this has hit multiple GPS receivers with different antennas in the same plane on at least three occasions in the last few days.

11 minutes ago, exM20K said:

Difference is that this has hit multiple GPS receivers with different antennas in the same plane on at least three occasions in the last few days.

Ha!  There is a failure mode that blocks all GPS reception around the failed antenna.  None of my GPSs worked....handheld/tablet/nothing.  Garmin is well aware of this failure mode, but does not (for obvious reasons) publicize it.  Check the MS archives.  If you come across this failure mode, try completely un-powering the GPS attached to the offending antenna.  Miraculously, the other GPSs will lock on.

• Like 2