Window Sealant?

Let me take a poll? what would you use? 1/2 b sealant or Mortite. It looks as thought the manufacturer used Mortite (strip caulk). I not sure if I should use that or use 1/2 b sealant....I think the B sealant (or fuel tank sealant) would be a bear to remove if I have to replace in the future....

Just my thoughts MK

After consulting with my mechanic we decided to go with a more modern sealant.  We used Dow Corning 795 that others have used on MooneySpace.  That was about seven years ago and has been good so far.  This is not officially called out in the repair manuals, so work with your mechanic.  The 795 comes in different colors so you can match it to your paint or window tint.  It is single stage, so much easier to use.

Don’t use fuel tank sealant, yes it will work very well and last forever, but it will take destructive means to remove the window when it comes replacement time.
I’ve had to remove OH-58 front windshields that were installed with it.

I thought there’s 2 grades: the more permanent and the version for inspection plates that’s less permanent.

8 hours ago, M20Doc said:

PRC1425 windshield sealant is not the same as PRC fuel tank sealant.

Clarence

My co-pilot and I replaced all the side windows in our C ourselves.  I found the  PRC1425 easy to use.   Mix using a kitchen scale, trowel onto the edges of the airframe, and carefully position the windows to avoid smearing.  There is a Potassium Hydroxide based cleaner that works really well to get the old stuff off, and clean up any messes after the install.   Knots2U sells it, and it has a fresh lemony smell.  That KOH cleaner also takes off door sealant real easily.

10 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I thought there’s 2 grades: the more permanent and the version for inspection plates that’s less permanent.

If there are, I’m unaware of it. All I’m aware of is A which is thin and B which is thick, and of course the numbers represent pot life. A lot of my experience is Military, and Army helicopters are almost held together with B2, we used it everywhere it seemed, applied externally as a sealant for gearboxes for example.

Personally I don’t use the 1/2 ever, I’m convinced it’s just like epoxy, you give up something for the faster cure, but that’s just an opinion.

As there are all sorts of special adhesives, I’d use a product specifically made to install windows myself, but can’t recommend a specific product as I don’t have the recent experience.

One thing fuel tank sealant is good for with windows is if you want or need to add a small bead on the outside as that can be removed, and fuel tank sealer takes paint very well too, which not all sealants do. I’ve seen it used with excellent results to fix a leak by applying that tiny exterior bead and then painted to match with a detail brush.

Its not, but I have always seen fuel tank sealant as a structural adhesive, many things applied with it are destroyed in removal, I’ve found that a heat gun and .020 safety wire between two screwdrivers to cut the B2 is a good way to remove something sealed by it.

We used it all over the Thrush as well. for instance every seam on the wings and flight controls, rudder, horizontal etc is sealed with a external bead of fuel tank sealer, it kept chemicals from wicking in between the seams.

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

Personally I don’t use the 1/2 ever, I’m convinced it’s just like epoxy, you give up something for the faster cure, but that’s just an opinion.

A friend of mine who works for the parts warehouse at the airline gave me a bunch of expired sealant. There was some B1/6! I asked him what they used it for, he said it was for fixing leaks at the gate. I tried it, it is supposed to be usable for 10 minutes, more like 5.