Positive Control - proper usage in the pattern

2 hours ago, eman1200 said:

It does not look like that. Plane’s in for annual otherwise I’d snap a pic.

Most certainly is. It’s the correct Brittian part number. This one mounts in the panel. Was found in later model Mooneys, pre-J. There as also an electric solenoid dump valves but not sure which models they existed on.

Just now, Bob R said:

Most certainly is. It’s the correct Brittian part number. This one mounts in the panel. Was found in later model Mooneys, pre-J. There as also an electric solenoid dump valves but not sure which models they existed on.

Misread your post. There is also the control wheel button to release the vacuum.

2 minutes ago, Bob R said:

nope, most certainly isn't.  this is mine:

image.png.f4b493343a61f6294b41bcd6ca3fa26c.png

don't know what N/C means, neither did the former owner but that's how I turn on/off my wing leveler.

7 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I have no idea if it’s the original switch or a replacement.  I haven’t owned the plane since new.  When I bought it, Paul Maxwell thought that I could pull it out to disable, but we never were able to accomplish it.  I will be happy to post a picture if I can just remember your request when I’m at the hangar.

If it is the one I pictured, it is supposed to pull out to open the vacuum. Maybe the vacuum lines are not correctly routed? I have the diagrams Brittian sent me if you need them. Have one for the panel mounted release and the electric dum valve. PM me if you want them.

2 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

don't know what N/C means, neither did the former owner but that's how I turn on/off my wing leveler.

Must be the electric style. Someone is supposed to send one to me. Going to try to fix it but I don’t need it now that I found the manual style.

On 11/27/2021 at 2:57 PM, DCarlton said:

Yep.  It's really nice when it's gusty on final.  Not sure how other autopilots respond in that situation; been too many years since I've flown anything different.  

I agree. I use mine on IFR approaches as wellI use mine on IFR approaches as well

On 11/27/2021 at 2:27 PM, McMooney said:

I feel, a properly working PC system is kinda like a cheat code, it just makes flying soooo easy.  

makes trivial approaches and ifr flying. 

once i upgrade to the trutrak( yeah i know ) or GFC 500, i feel i'm gonna miss it's firm handling.

I'd just fly the plane at some point you'll almost forget the system is working in the background.  

Simple and easy to fix as well.

On 11/28/2021 at 3:26 PM, Bob R said:

Does it look like this? If so, it’s just a push/pull manual valve. I got lucky and found one on eBay about three weeks ago. It was being sold with some other Britain PC parts and I got to go to break it out.

BD27F122-3E43-4620-96D0-206284152297.jpeg

I have a 67F but I'm certain this is not dump valve (item 31). This looks like a p/n 2985, Valve assy, roll trim for 1965 and 66 Mooney. See Item 29.

1967 and later have this roll valve incorporated on T/C.

image.png.8cd42a15aa19e4b5a9a817989be45686.png

16 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

I have a 67F but I'm certain this is not dump valve (item 31). This looks like a p/n 2985, Valve assy, roll trim for 1965 and 66 Mooney. See Item 29.

1967 and later have this roll valve incorporated on T/C.

image.png.8cd42a15aa19e4b5a9a817989be45686.png

The part pictured is  Brittain P/N 11516 AH 

1 hour ago, MBDiagMan said:

This is my push button switch.  It does not pull out to disable.  It only disables when I press it.  When I pull on it, it feels as if it is welded in place.

5FBDB95D-5455-4A65-AAAE-2C6FE584B064.jpeg

It pulls out. That is the same button that is in most PC equipped planes. I’ll try to shoot a quick video later this week showing how I remove it. 

Edited by Shadrach

On 11/28/2021 at 7:50 PM, eman1200 said:

Unless your yokes have been upgraded you also have a switch on the forefinger on the left side on the back of the yoke that you can push that does the same thing.   Yours has an electric dump valve behind the panel that is activated when the switch is closed and a ground path is created.

For the OP.   Never turn mine off in the pattern or otherwise.  What you do want to do is trim and trim some more.  Then there really is no fighting it.   beside it makes unusual attitude very easy if it is on.   Just pull or add power depending on nose up or down and let the PC do the rest.    I think I took my hands off the yoke to the annoyance of the instructor.

Unless your yokes have been upgraded you also have a switch on the forefinger on the left side on the back of the yoke that you can push that does the same thing….

Yep, I have that and use that regularly. And long love the mongo yoke!!

EDIT: ugh, long LIVE, not love. Stupid little iPhone keyboard.

44 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

After reading this thread I tried a trip around the pattern by just overpowering the PC.  It worked fine, but even though the manual says this is okay, it makes me wonder what I might be overstraining doing this.

Only your arms and bionic shoulder!

Screenshot_20211211-200937_Office.thumb.jpg.359961f049d5983f7c13e7d242a76329.jpg

If it is the one I pictured, it is supposed to pull out to open the vacuum. Maybe the vacuum lines are not correctly routed? I have the diagrams Brittian sent me if you need them. Have one for the panel mounted release and the electric dum valve. PM me if you want them.

Mine does look like that but it is pull out to engage (maybe connected backward?). Either way it works great. Mine is all black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm remembering from a long time ago, but I used to stick a quarter under the PC button and twist it.  That will pry the button up (it's a friction fit into the control wheel) enough to disconnect it electrically.  Fly all day with the PC disconnected, but if you want it just push the button in and release, and PC is instantly back.