Alternator issue

BravoWhiskey

So I'm on month 11 of being a Bravo owner and getting a bit frustrated.  I have now replaced the alternator which was all chewed up and caused 2 in flight belt failures.  An issue i had prior and that is still occuring is this.  The alternator will kick offline when the landing or taxi lights are turned on, and would need a subsequent reset by turning ALT switch off then back on. Don't suppose anyone else has experienced this one before?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BravoWhiskey said:

Alternator had siexed up twice causing one belt to break and the next one to flip over.  Finally realized the alternator was bad so that was replaced.  

Any other symptoms?  Electrical noise in headsets?  What is the amp meter indicating, normally and when you add loads?  Would look at things like the integrity of grounds, from regulator to ground, engine to airframe ground, battery connections. Also, alignment of the alternator pulley….but that doesn’t quite explain the drop outs…

On 11/20/2021 at 8:25 PM, BravoWhiskey said:

So I'm on month 11 of being a Bravo owner and getting a bit frustrated.  I have now replaced the alternator which was all chewed up and caused 2 in flight belt failures.  An issue i had prior and that is still occuring is this.  The alternator will kick offline when the landing or taxi lights are turned on, and would need a subsequent reset by turning ALT switch off then back on. Don't suppose anyone else has experienced this one before?

It's too early to get frustrated, keep the faith and consider yourself lucky you are only chasing down alternator / regulator issues...It took me two years to square away all of the missed squawks on my Bravo.  When I fantasize about another airplane, I remind myself what it took to get here and I throw money at the panel upgrades instead.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2021 at 11:05 AM, BravoWhiskey said:

I'll do another run and check the different voltage drops and resets after i turn alt switch off then back on.  Somthing somewhere is tripping which is common with inrush current, right? But then the current seems to be stable after i turn the alt switch off then back on.

Some older posts to look over in the Bravo section: