Mite at KERV

Mcstealth

Walked into the far hangar at KERV. Spotted this new to me Mite. 

Not sure if the owner is on MS but it is cool to see one in the wild nevertheless. 

Big placard saying "No Spins" easily seen through the canopy. 

20211117_152257.jpg

Edited by Mcstealth
  • Like 4

Thats the beautiful 1955 model M-18C55. The 1953 and 1954 models seem to have the same bubble canopy for more head room but retain the flat turtledeck fuselage. The 1955 model took it another step by angling the fuselage up a few more degrees at the aft fuel tank station (tail end of canopy rail). The result is even greater head room, and surprisingly more leg room (The seat cushion was much deeper raising the occupants torso). Al Mooney also rearranged the gear retraction handle to be much easier to operate. This was closer to the design of the one off model "M-19". Same 65HP Contiental as the other "C" models and same Gross weight of 850lbs.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Kevin Harberg said:

Thats the beautiful 1955 model M-18C55. The 1953 and 1954 models seem to have the same bubble canopy for more head room but retain the flat turtledeck fuselage. The 1955 model took it another step by angling the fuselage up a few more degrees at the aft fuel tank station (tail end of canopy rail). The result is even greater head room, and surprisingly more leg room (The seat cushion was much deeper raising the occupants torso). Al Mooney also rearranged the gear retraction handle to be much easier to operate. This was closer to the design of the one off model "M-19". Same 65HP Contiental as the other "C" models and same Gross weight of 850lbs.

Thank you. Too cool. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 8:23 AM, Shiny moose said:

I would really like to own one of these, but all that wood being 65 years old and nobody making aluminuim ones 

The wood is likely a lot older than 65 years.

Clarence

• 10 months later...
7 hours ago, James Frank said:

N4180 was my old Mite back when I was in high school in the late 70's.  I put over 200 hours on that Mite flying it all over the Midwest.  Ultimately delivered it to its new owner in Liberal, KS.  Many great memories of it

Great first post! Welcome to MooneySpace.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 6:57 AM, Pinecone said:

Hmm, I NEED that airplane.  The color scheme is similar to my 252, so they would match. :D

The ultimate 2nd airplane. Will squeeze into almost any hangar space and is a blast to fly. Same feel in the controls (roll rate, pitch, glide, landing characteristics, etc) but with a stick. You know when the 4 place is in the shop for its annual and you miss having acces to fly, pull out the Mite and have at it. Low purchase price, low operating cost, and it turns heads just like its big brother.