Show us your engine compartment!

Steve Dawson

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I did what lotsofgadgets did, double adel clamps to keep it off the cowl linkage.

It’s not visible in my picture, but both Scat ducts are Adel clamped to the intake tubes.

Clarence

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Where do you mount that?    The outfit that installed my engine monitor made a similer thing, but much larger, and was attaching it to the engine mount above the oil filter such that I wouldn't be able to change the oil filter without removing the whole assembly every time.   I nixed that idea when they were already about half done with it, and instead they mounted the transducers independently on the firewall.   It's reasonably clean the way they wound up doing it, but this looks interesting.

It’s bolted to the firewall, above the copilots foot well.  It requires a few longer hoses to reach the manifold.

Clarence

Mine is waiting on its new engine too.   I cleaned up the firewall and discontinued my effort to buff and polish..  it just wasn’t worth the effort for the relatively small difference…. Planning copper orange alodine push rod tubes and intake risers, some continental colors on the case and cylinders, brushed exhaust.. I’m going to go ahead and replace all the silicone on the baffle and thinking about doing a circular brushed pattern on the aluminum.  It’s pretty old and tired and that’s about the only way to make it presentable.  I can’t seem to find where you can buy an all new baffle kit for a 67F

15B0AF44-7F14-4A29-A46C-9E3E5364592C.jpeg

Edited by Browncbr1

• 1 month later...
For all the folks with their engines out and planes sitting at the same spot for maybe 3-4 months - do you replace your tires when things are ready to fly again due to a flat spot on the tires?

No, with the engine and prop removed, and in my case fuel tanks half empty, the plane is about as light as it will every be. There was no flat spotting, probably not a concern with modern tires anymore.
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, GEE-BEE AEROPRODUCTS said:

Poor seal design, metal not bad , overnighted the baffles will cause cracks.

Airforms did the metal and the silicone baffles as a complete set.  What does “overnighted the baffles will cause cracks mean”? 
These seal up ok under the cowl, but I’ll probably change them out down the road

On 11/18/2021 at 1:55 PM, lotsofgadgets said:

Here is my newly overhauled IO-360A3B6D.  

IMG_8206.JPG

IMG_8193.JPG

It looks like a significant oil leak across the top of your engine at the spine. Plus all so you have some spark plug wires sitting on the fuel injector lines.

2 hours ago, DXB said:

A little envious here.   I'll save my pix until someone starts a "show us your butt-ugly engine compartment" thread :lol:.  My 53 year old doghouse is not an aesthetic masterpiece.

Bit what’s under it and behind it is solid gold. 

4 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Send a picture, although I prefer to keep cables together with zip ties I like to run them through double Adel  clamps forward of the firewall it takes time but a very neat appearance

Yeah Adel clamps are a good idea. There's some stock wires like the battery cable to the alternator that are held on by adel clamps against the firewall. Everything else is zip tied on to those few anchoring cables that came from the factory, more or less, piled on as the years have gone by.  Some also zip tied to the engine mount frame on the pilot side.  :wacko: Thanks - will have to see what's possible on mine.

18 hours ago, shawnd said:

Since we are on this topic, what are some  ways folks organize the cables that are hanging on the firewall? Are zip ties the only option? 

I tied (with wing lacing cord https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/11-02012.php?gclid=CjwKCAiAz--OBhBIEiwAG1rIOjiFjCXN6J41kDhbcnXuj874FZKg4jGvI81EYhKfkOTBOW747OPhQhoCl_gQAvD_BwE)   It's more traditional and looks factory

Then I got lazy and did some with tiewraps.

• Like 2