The Supply Chain Issues Have Hit Our Industry!!!!

5 minutes ago, Baker Avionics said:

Well I don't believe I posted anything political.  Just stated facts about the supply chain issues and how it is effecting this industry.  

I don’t think you did either.  This sucks all the way around, for everyone.

Hello all, I feel responsible for starting this little poo poo storm I may have caused. My comment was made in jest as light humor. Apparently I misjudged my audience and it was not well received by all. One of my coworkers bought a bunch of those stickers recently and he leaves them on gas pumps around town pointing at the price. I thought it was humorous and made the error of believing others might find it humorous as well. I sincerely apologize if I caused anyone grief or offended anyone’s sensibilities here. I will try to refrain from doing so in the future. If I offended anyone I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I hope everyone has a happy thanksgiving 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

Hello all, I feel responsible for starting this little poo poo storm I may have caused. My comment was made in jest as light humor. Apparently I misjudged my audience and it was not well received by all. One of my coworkers bought a bunch of those stickers recently and he leaves them on gas pumps around town pointing at the price. I thought it was humorous and made the error of believing others might find it humorous as well. I sincerely apologize if I caused anyone grief or offended anyone’s sensibilities here. I will try to refrain from doing so in the future. If I offended anyone I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I hope everyone has a happy thanksgiving 

How could vandalizing a bunch of gas stations with politically-charged content possibly be taken the wrong way?

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

My statement wasn't trying to ridicule anyone. The way these things start is usually through a humorous joke. People like or dislike the joke and  someone takes it that given joke the  wrong way, and then theres a possibile shitstorm that starts. Its been seen on other threads and threads have been removed because of it. I definetely can see the humor behind the picture, but some people sadly take it personally and then its just fuel on the fire im not trying to call anyone out specifically.

Causing trouble again huh? Good thing you cleared this up. Big Kate was going to hop on an 18 wheeler and come visit you. No issue for her since she and my long haul trucker brother are good friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

How could vandalizing a bunch of gas stations with politically-charged content possibly be taken the wrong way?

I didn’t say I condone it but I do find it humorous. And calling is vandalism might be a stretch. Especially out here in Lala land were our DA won’t file charges on a whole list of crimes now based on his directives. But I think vandalism has to be destruction and/or damage of property. Again, I don’t condone it but it does make me chuckle. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Up until very recently I worked for a European technology firm that made everything from transponders for gliders to vending machine computers. Starting in the first quarter of this year, our CPU lead times from NXP Semiconductors went from the standard 12 weeks to an astounding 54+ weeks. I in particular worked in the industrial motors division, and what used to be my standard lead time of 4-6 weeks followed that trend and went up to 25+ weeks this last quarter. That said, it is only a matter of time until the supply chain crisis hits everything aviation.

As Baker Avionics said, Garmin issued the lead time dealer memo last Thursday. I would not be surprised if this extends soon to other products, particularly those with color touchscreen displays and advanced RF components such as the 2in. slimline units and the GI-275's. The one saving grace for Garmin is that a lot of their equipment is manufactured in Taiwan - where TSMC is located - so this fact may contribute to Garmin being slightly more resilient than other electronics manufacturers. On the BendixKing side of things, Honeywell has been delaying multiple shipments to their dealers a great deal multiple times; I am currently waiting on a KX155A display replacement and the shipment for that has been delayed twice.

I do have my own political inclinations, but having witnessed what I saw in my previous work, I am convinced the supply chain crisis isn't going away anytime soon even if whoever the right people make the right moves. As for me I've been stocking up on supplies, inventory, and tooling to lower the chances of me running into a situation where I can't get what I need on short notice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Avidyne:

“Valued Customers:
Like all manufacturers of electronic products, Avidyne has been subjected to unprecedented supply chain challenges in recent months. Despite our best efforts to maintain our costs and availability of components, including ordering our electronic components more than 52 weeks in advance of our production need dates, we have been subject to frequent supplier decommit to our orders. This situation is very dynamic, with new component shortages and price increases occurring daily.
To give you an example of the challenges we face, we have a long-term purchase agreement for a particular component used on Avidyne’s IFD and Skytrax products. The supplier of that component recently informed us that despite our long-term supply agreement, they would be unable to commit to suppling any more until at least 2024. We were fortunate to locate an alternative source for a limited number of this particular component that allows us to cover our expected production of the affected products through 2022, but for an increase in price of over 500% of what we were previously paying. This increase in the cost of an already-expensive component, with no advance notice, is unfortunately not unlike the increases that we have seen for many of the components in our products in recent months.
To address these challenges, and to make our best efforts to continue predictable price and availability of all of our products, Avidyne is taking the following actions with immediate effect:
• We will honor all purchase orders received and accepted prior
to today for shipment in 2021.
• All promotions are suspended.
• All new purchase orders going forward and orders scheduled in 2022 will be subject to a temporary Component Cost Increase Surcharge. We will establish these surcharges at the beginning of each month. When we accept a purchase order, we will confirm the price and delivery of that order, or we will provide our best estimate of our timeframe for delivery. Please confirm this surcharge amount with your dealer.
As of the date of this post, all Avidyne products as well as the NGT9000 are in stock and available to order. However, despite our best efforts, we may be subject to unexpected interruptions in the availability of our products in coming months. To avoid being impacted by shortages, we very strongly recommend ordering equipment for your planned installations as soon as possible.
We understand and regret the inconvenience of these changes. During this period of supply chain challenges, it will continue to be Avidyne’s objective to supply each order that we accept at the quoted price and on the quoted delivery date. Be assured we are working as hard as possible to mitigate future surcharges and potential supply interruptions. We will communicate future surcharge changes and any product supply interruption information as soon as possible.
Feel free to reach out to marketing@avidyne.com with any questions.
Sincerely,
Kelly Myers”
  • Sad 1

Up until very recently I worked for a European technology firm that made everything from transponders for gliders to vending machine computers. Starting in the first quarter of this year, our CPU lead times from NXP Semiconductors went from the standard 12 weeks to an astounding 54+ weeks. I in particular worked in the industrial motors division, and what used to be my standard lead time of 4-6 weeks followed that trend and went up to 25+ weeks this last quarter. That said, it is only a matter of time until the supply chain crisis hits everything aviation.
As Baker Avionics said, Garmin issued the lead time dealer memo last Thursday. I would not be surprised if this extends soon to other products, particularly those with color touchscreen displays and advanced RF components such as the 2in. slimline units and the GI-275's. The one saving grace for Garmin is that a lot of their equipment is manufactured in Taiwan - where TSMC is located - so this fact may contribute to Garmin being slightly more resilient than other electronics manufacturers. On the BendixKing side of things, Honeywell has been delaying multiple shipments to their dealers a great deal multiple times; I am currently waiting on a KX155A display replacement and the shipment for that has been delayed twice.
I do have my own political inclinations, but having witnessed what I saw in my previous work, I am convinced the supply chain crisis isn't going away anytime soon even if whoever the right people make the right moves. As for me I've been stocking up on supplies, inventory, and tooling to lower the chances of me running into a situation where I can't get what I need on short notice.

Nice summary. COVID has certainly affected the supply chain. Even a short duration manufacturing shutdown has a ripple effect. Just ask any kid wanting a PS5 for Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone know if this has been extended to other avionics sources like JPI or EI? Fortunately my Garmin avionics are mostly already taken care of (aside from a wish-list item to replace the 2nd Nav/Comm with a 255, but that can wait), but I do hope to do a JPI 900 in 2022.

4 minutes ago, jacenbourne said:

Does anyone know if this has been extended to other avionics sources like JPI or EI? Fortunately my Garmin avionics are mostly already taken care of (aside from a wish-list item to replace the 2nd Nav/Comm with a 255, but that can wait), but I do hope to do a JPI 900 in 2022.

I don’t believe so as of yet.  Last couple orders we have placed at each company (both in the last week or two) was 6-8 week lead time, which has been the standard for them for some time.  

Edited by bmcconnaha

2 hours ago, Airways said:

Avidyne:

“Valued Customers:
Like all manufacturers of electronic products, Avidyne has been subjected to unprecedented supply chain challenges in recent months. Despite our best efforts to maintain our costs and availability of components, including ordering our electronic components more than 52 weeks in advance of our production need dates, we have been subject to frequent supplier decommit to our orders. This situation is very dynamic, with new component shortages and price increases occurring daily.
To give you an example of the challenges we face, we have a long-term purchase agreement for a particular component used on Avidyne’s IFD and Skytrax products. The supplier of that component recently informed us that despite our long-term supply agreement, they would be unable to commit to suppling any more until at least 2024. We were fortunate to locate an alternative source for a limited number of this particular component that allows us to cover our expected production of the affected products through 2022, but for an increase in price of over 500% of what we were previously paying. This increase in the cost of an already-expensive component, with no advance notice, is unfortunately not unlike the increases that we have seen for many of the components in our products in recent months.
To address these challenges, and to make our best efforts to continue predictable price and availability of all of our products, Avidyne is taking the following actions with immediate effect:
• We will honor all purchase orders received and accepted prior
to today for shipment in 2021.
• All promotions are suspended.
• All new purchase orders going forward and orders scheduled in 2022 will be subject to a temporary Component Cost Increase Surcharge. We will establish these surcharges at the beginning of each month. When we accept a purchase order, we will confirm the price and delivery of that order, or we will provide our best estimate of our timeframe for delivery. Please confirm this surcharge amount with your dealer.
As of the date of this post, all Avidyne products as well as the NGT9000 are in stock and available to order. However, despite our best efforts, we may be subject to unexpected interruptions in the availability of our products in coming months. To avoid being impacted by shortages, we very strongly recommend ordering equipment for your planned installations as soon as possible.
We understand and regret the inconvenience of these changes. During this period of supply chain challenges, it will continue to be Avidyne’s objective to supply each order that we accept at the quoted price and on the quoted delivery date. Be assured we are working as hard as possible to mitigate future surcharges and potential supply interruptions. We will communicate future surcharge changes and any product supply interruption information as soon as possible.
Feel free to reach out to marketing@avidyne.com with any questions.
Sincerely,
Kelly Myers”

Kelly, shoot me an email when you are at your desk.  I need to bring something to light for you and Avidyne please. 

5 hours ago, Minivation said:

NXP is partly fabless, and they've had all kinds of fab supply problems even prior to and independent of the pandemic.   They're probably having the same difficulties for their fab products as everyone else and perhaps more so for their outsourced products.

I think the whole thing is interesting in that it is showing how long the time constants are for supply chain perturbations, i.e., LONG.   Perturbations that started from global lockdown due to the pandemic are still rippling through in a big way.

The vast majority of this stuff really is global supply chain perturbation related due to the pandemic and has little to do with politics of any kind in any country.   Historically that has never stopped anybody from claiming so for their own benefit or entertainment or soul salving.   

• Like 1

My next door hangar neighbor was told last week the Garmin 650xi for his RV would not be delivered until Q2 2022 even though it was ordered on April 8, 2021. It is the last piece of avionics he needs to do the rework of his panel which he, fortunately, has not started yet. But until he gets the GPS delivered, he has ~$40AMU of avionics sitting on the shelf. He is also wondering about how the delay will affect any warranty he has on the already purchased equipment.

• Sad 2

I hope you all don't mind me chiming in but I would like to say that we have our complete audio control product line in stock. That's one of the benefits of being singularly focused on a niche. We can adapt quickly to EOL (End Of Life) parts as well as the ability to stock parts YEARS ahead. Why, because if we can't ship audio panels, then we are out of business.

The good news, business has never been better!

So if you are wanting to upgrade a PMA6000 or PMA7000 series, Bendix/King KMA28, UPS-AT SL-10/SL-15, or GARMIN's GMA340/GMA345, we have slide in replacements on hand.

Thanks Everyone

Mark

• Like 9

I guess working full time saved me from the politics of the thread, oh well.  Supply chain issues are affecting many day to day shop items like batteries and tires.  My wife does all of our parts chasing and spends a lot of time searching for mundane items.   It won’t be long before planes get parked.

Clarence

13 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I guess working full time saved me from the politics of the thread, oh well.  Supply chain issues are affecting many day to day shop items like batteries and tires.  My wife does all of our parts chasing and spends a lot of time searching for mundane items.   It won’t be long before planes get parked.

Clarence

Clarence, maybe you can help me here - the battery on my plane is 5 years old. It's still performing well, but I don't expect to get much more than another year or two out of it. As we're getting into the cold part of the year and aviation batteries are starting to get hit by supply shortages, my instinct is to buy a replacement now to have on hand until my current one dies. However, I think that might just drain the life of the new battery since it sitting there in cold weather can't be good for it... am I correct?

Just now, jacenbourne said:

Clarence, maybe you can help me here - the battery on my plane is 5 years old. It's still performing well, but I don't expect to get much more than another year or two out of it. As we're getting into the cold part of the year and aviation batteries are starting to get hit by supply shortages, my instinct is to buy a replacement now to have on hand until my current one dies. However, I think that might just drain the life of the new battery since it sitting there in cold weather can't be good for it... am I correct?

If your battery failed a capacity test replace it.  If you’re buying a new battery on spec, there’s no sense letting it sit on a shelf, just install it.

Clarence 

On 11/16/2021 at 6:46 AM, Raptor05121 said:

I've been trying to source a graphics card for my new PC for months. Looks like I'll be waiting another 6-12 months to avoid getting scalped

You probably right about having to wait, but I don’t think it’s gonna get any cheaper!

21 hours ago, Mscheuer said:

I hope you all don't mind me chiming in but I would like to say that we have our complete audio control product line in stock. That's one of the benefits of being singularly focused on a niche. We can adapt quickly to EOL (End Of Life) parts as well as the ability to stock parts YEARS ahead. Why, because if we can't ship audio panels, then we are out of business.

The good news, business has never been better!

So if you are wanting to upgrade a PMA6000 or PMA7000 series, Bendix/King KMA28, UPS-AT SL-10/SL-15, or GARMIN's GMA340/GMA345, we have slide in replacements on hand.

Thanks Everyone

Mark

Thank you Mark!  QUite simply THE best Audio Panels on the market!!!!  Keep it brother!!!!

• Like 2

Well, so much for one of manufacturing's greatest breakthroughs of the the 20th century: just in time inventory. Just by coincidence, I was watching a program on car manufacturing and it presented a GM assembly line in the early 80's and the manager was so proud of GM's latest breakthrough. "Gone are the days of storing thousands of parts for several months at a time."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Well, so much for one of manufacturing's greatest breakthroughs of the the 20th century: just in time inventory. Just by coincidence, I was watching a program on car manufacturing and it presented a GM assembly line in the early 80's and the manager was so proud of GM's latest breakthrough. "Gone are the days of storing thousands of parts for several months at a time."

@bmcconnaha are you guys feelin it?

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

I remember when JIT and six sigma were all the rage in manufacturing.   I remember thinking at the time that it added a lot of brittleness to the processes, but it seemed like most places got away with it pretty well for a long time.   The auto industry had some notable public exceptions long before the pandemic hit, but I think this is finally the nail in the coffin for JIT.   Kinda like how the business schools used to teach the advantages of leveraging debt.  ;) 

• Like 1