Jump to content

G3X / G5 / GFC 500 Panel Pix


Recommended Posts

I finally got a reasonably good shot of the new panel. It's all done except for the Smart Glide button which is back ordered. But no problem because I understand that the G3X Touch Smart Glide software has slipped from late this year to Q1 or Q2 next year.

A few comments on choices that might not be obvious. The iPad mini is powered by a USB charger mounted behind the panel. I moved the alternate static source valve/knob to the left because I find the most convenient place to stow the headset is on control shaft behind the yoke and the old knob placement was in the way. I added the AV-20-S as a tie breaker in the event of a G3X/G5 miscompare. I mounted it high in case the AoA indication proves to be useful (I don't have high hopes for it -- I never could get the Aspen AoA to be very accurate). I already had the GTX 345. I decided to replace the KX 165 (which worked fine) with a GNC 255 just for increased reliability/maintainability over the next ten years. The EDM 700 was in the center console next to the trim/flap indicators so removing it left a hole which I plugged with a Guardian CO detector. I only have a few hours on it -- mostly checking stuff out. It's all working fine and the autopilot seems rock solid. I really like the EIS and especially the position of the engine gauges next to the attitude display.

Skip

IMG_4255.thumb.JPG.add8743f81a0da5fdd36311dfd6711ee.JPG

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s a really nice panel layout!  I really like how you went with the 650 versus a 750 which others do fine, but it ends up needing remote this and remote that to not look like an overcrowded panel.  Great Job!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eman1200 said:

nice panel!  is the gi275 compatible with the g3x or do u have to use the g5?

Garmin allows the GI 275 as a backup to the G3X, but it is not as well integrated as the G5 because the G3X and G5 use CAN bus architecture whereas the GI 275 uses ARINC 429 and HSDB (Ethernet). 

Skip

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 9:10 PM, PT20J said:

I finally got a reasonably good shot of the new panel. It's all done except for the Smart Glide button which is back ordered. But no problem because I understand that the G3X Touch Smart Glide software has slipped from late this year to Q1 or Q2 next year.

A few comments on choices that might not be obvious. The iPad mini is powered by a USB charger mounted behind the panel. I moved the alternate static source valve/knob to the left because I find the most convenient place to stow the headset is on control shaft behind the yoke and the old knob placement was in the way. I added the AV-20-S as a tie breaker in the event of a G3X/G5 miscompare. I mounted it high in case the AoA indication proves to be useful (I don't have high hopes for it -- I never could get the Aspen AoA to be very accurate). I already had the GTX 345. I decided to replace the KX 165 (which worked fine) with a GNC 255 just for increased reliability/maintainability over the next ten years. The EDM 700 was in the center console next to the trim/flap indicators so removing it left a hole which I plugged with a Guardian CO detector. I only have a few hours on it -- mostly checking stuff out. It's all working fine and the autopilot seems rock solid. I really like the EIS and especially the position of the engine gauges next to the attitude display.

Skip

IMG_4255.thumb.JPG.add8743f81a0da5fdd36311dfd6711ee.JPG

Skip, 

question for you on the smart glide.  If you have an XI, and a GFC500, the smart glide will still work, correct?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, bmcconnaha said:

Skip, 

question for you on the smart glide.  If you have an XI, and a GFC500, the smart glide will still work, correct?   

As I understand it, Smart Glide requires the GFC 500 software in the G3X to support it and that is not yet available. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2021 at 10:05 PM, PT20J said:

As I understand it, Smart Glide requires the GFC 500 software in the G3X to support it and that is not yet available. 

Bryan and Skip, see below from Garmin:

 

Smart Glide support with a variety of Garmin systems
In certified aircraft, Smart Glide will become available with a GTN Xi series navigator paired with a compatible Garmin flight display including the G500 TXi/G600 TXi, GI 275 electronic flight instrument, the G3X Touch, or G5 electronic flight instrument, with others to be added later4. Compatible Garmin autopilots such as GFC 500 or GFC 600 can be automatically engaged when Smart Glide is activated5. For aircraft without a compatible Garmin autopilot, Smart Glide will still provide critical information and features to help manage engine emergencies and help to reduce pilot workload. Further, experimental aircraft with G3X Touch and a G3X autopilot can also enable Smart Glide technology when appropriately equipped.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.