My New Mooney

201er

one of Norm's aftermarket kits. First time I have seen one mounted on the right however. I had one on my F when I owned it, and would have removed it when it was repainted as the AP made this moot, but that would have been major skin surgery and rebalance, so most likely, Mikey took the same ole cheap way out i did and left the tab there while gutting the electronics.

• Like 1

Actually, the Aero-Trim is installed on the left aileron per Norm Smith’s STC (but yes, it can be installed as rudder trim).  I’m not sure what Mike has on his right aileron, but it looks like a riveted on ground adjustable trim tab.

D5328DD3-22B6-474C-AC47-C9C944709BF5.jpeg

Edited by Andy95W
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Actually, the Aero-Trim is installed on the left aileron per Norm Smith’s STC (but yes, it can be installed as rudder trim).  I’m not sure what Mike has on his right aileron, but it looks like a riveted on ground adjustable trim tab.

D5328DD3-22B6-474C-AC47-C9C944709BF5.jpeg

Interesting - I never heard of this - is there a trim wheel in the cockpit that goes with this setup?  Why would someone want it on their aileron instead of their rudder?

7 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Interesting - I never heard of this - is there a trim wheel in the cockpit that goes with this setup?  Why would someone want it on their aileron instead of their rudder?

It’s all electric.  Not a bad kit, I installed it on my first M20C.

http://www.aerotriminc.com/id2.html

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

one of Norm's aftermarket kits. First time I have seen one mounted on the right however. I had one on my F when I owned it, and would have removed it when it was repainted as the AP made this moot, but that would have been major skin surgery and rebalance, so most likely, Mikey took the same ole cheap way out i did and left the tab there while gutting the electronics.

It doesn’t have a hinge, you’ll see if you zoom in on the screen shot.

Clarence

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

It doesn’t have a hinge, you’ll see if you zoom in on the screen shot.

Clarence

It’s just a piece of .032 riveted into the trailing edge of the aileron. I suppose the person who did that didn’t know you can adjust the flap up stop and the aileron trailing edge to get the same effect.  

10 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

.....humm...

MIke, any log entries to demystify this "attachment"?

Not that I’m aware of. That was definitely there when I got it ten years ago. I figured it came that way. I do believe there may have been some work on flaps or ailerons due to gear up in the past.