Checkride with no right seat brakes

D.Munios

On 11/10/2021 at 11:55 AM, D.Munios said:

Hello,

new to mooneyspace and just purchased 64’ M20C with a partner who is a student pilot.  I was looking for advice whether it’s worth installing right seat brakes for checkride purposes or if he should just take his private in a rental aircraft.  An old friend of mine used to be a DPE and he said he wouldn’t do a checkride without right seat brakes and I was wondering if that’s a FAA thing or just personal. From what I been reading seems like a few of you have done checkrides in mooneys without right seat brakes. 

Hi, I did my IFR and my Commercial without right side brakes. I used two different DPE's and neither of them were concerned with right side brakes. In fact, to my knowledge, there is no requirement for right side brakes. I would consider either talking to the FAA or FSDO and get their opinion. However, the easiest might be to find another DPE. When thinking about this, you have no right side brakes when you solo? If you are in Commyfornia, I have some names for you.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:14 PM, WaynePierce said:

The Cherokee I got my PPL in 11 years ago did not have passenger side brakes. I guess it depends on the DPE and perhaps the relationship the DPE has with the CFI?

That is certainly a good point on the relationship; I am sure it does make a difference. However, the DPE I used for my commercial did not have a relationship with my CFII and I do not even believe they spoke before my checkride.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 7:11 PM, Bob R said:

I would consider either talking to the FAA or FSDO and get their opinion.

That opinion has already been given, don't poke the bear.

AOPA has the FAA document here: https://www.aopa.org/-/media/Files/AOPA/Home/Supporting-General-Aviation/Advocacy/Regulatory-and-Certification-Policy/Regulatory-Brief-FAA-issues-new-interpretation-of-dual-controls-(2)/hgba.pdf

• Like 2