Let's Go Brandon, SHUT UP!

201er

This was addressed recently on the Opposing Bases Podcast (recommended if you haven't listened before. It's two controllers who are also pilots talking about ATC topics.) They said that they, like most facilities, hear everything broadcast on 121.5 and have no way to turn it off. No matter how busy they are or how important it is for them to understand transmissions on their normal frequencies, they'll also hear all the nonsense on guard, and it can be very distracting.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 201er said:

Really? It’s regional? For those of you who are hearing a lot of nonsense on 121.5, can you mention where you’re hearing it?

I was flying back from Michigan to NJ and heard it pretty much anywhere in that range: Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey.

A Southwest pilot is being fired or investigated for saying Let’s Go Brandon over the PA and as silly as it is, it doesn’t cause anywhere near as much harm as doing it on the radio distracting other pilots or blocking the frequency for real emergencies.

This summer I’ve flown to Texas, New Orleans, Memphis, Gulfport and Detroit among other places.

All had distractions on 121.5, I also had to turn off the station. Listening to XM can’t be done with all the chatter going on. Was so bad Fran wanted me to cancel XM.

There should be some type of oversight to ensure the channel is clear for it’s intended purpose.

1 hour ago, 201er said:

If any MSers are engaging in childish play on an EMERGENCY frequency, they deserve to be told to shut up and I would say it to their face if I met them and knew they are doing  this. I disagree with calling it out on 121.5 (at least by pilots, maybe ATC can be more involved) because it makes the verbal orgy continue for longer and ties up the frequency even more. So, I say to anyone hiding behind anonymity that partakes in these forums that engages in this stuff, shame on you. Go do dangerous stuff solo in your plane all you want, but stop putting other's at risk.

You are not the gatekeeper or the moral police, call the FCC. You have no suggestions just complaints. Don't tell me or anybody else to SHUT UP.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 201er said:

If any MSers are engaging in childish play on an EMERGENCY frequency, they deserve to be told to shut up and I would say it to their face if I met them and knew they are doing  this. I disagree with calling it out on 121.5 (at least by pilots, maybe ATC can be more involved) because it makes the verbal orgy continue for longer and ties up the frequency even more. So, I say to anyone hiding behind anonymity that partakes in these forums that engages in this stuff, shame on you. Go do dangerous stuff solo in your plane all you want, but stop putting other's at risk.

You are not the gatekeeper or the moral police, call the FCC. You have no suggestions just complaints. Don't tell me or anybody else to SHUT UP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 201er said:

1. You are not the gatekeeper or the moral police, call the FCC. You have no suggestions just complaints. Don't tell me or anybody else to SHUT UP.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

It is very regional.  When I was living and flying around the Southeast, the BS on guard was ridiculous. The constant "meow" and "GUARD" drug out in a gravely voice was awful. 

Now that I am in the Northwest guard is nearly silent other then the occasional first officer calling dispatch on the wrong frequency.  

That might have to do with the fact that the distances are geographically larger and we have big pointy mountains, but I have to admit, my last trip down the coast to southern california I didn't hear a peep on 121.5 and was able to hear a an ELT going off for about 30 miles

This thread sounds like it is headed to a Big Kate finale. You guys remember Big Kate, right? And her sister Big Anne? The two responsible for me needing a new tail gate shocks and leaf springs. It won’t be long before they show up and flatten this conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

And BTW, I agree with Immelman and others who said it is regional. Being sandwiched between Philly and the SFRA, I hear it a lot.

I will say it has become more interesting to listen to a controller who now say “N12345, you are about to enter a restricted airspace. Turn immediately.” Now I get to look up who the superstar is and with TIS-B what happens to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

In the southwest most of the sparse clutter on 121.5 is trying to reach airliners for missed handoffs and the occasional accidental transmission.    I few weeks ago I heard somebody make their entire pre-landing cabin announcement on guard, followed immediately by the usual, "You're on guard" reflex.  ;)

A few months ago somebody put a Cessna in the dirt short of the runway to an uncontrolled airport and there was a fair amount of traffic on guard leading up to that with people trying to help relay info, etc., with Tucson ATC.   Cluttering it with meows (does that come from Super Troopers?) or other crap does interfere with potential legit use when it is needed, so I agree that it is pretty deplorable practice.

4 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Is the meow thing political speech?   Seriously.  I don’t know it’s origins.  

meow hear me out......as far as I know, the origin is from Super Troopers.........

there might be something before that, but as of right meow, that's what I'm going with....  we've meow'd before on conference calls at work with upper management, but I've never spoken a word on guard.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Is the meow thing political speech?   Seriously.  I don’t know it’s origins.  

I only know “meow” as a call out to the start of good cat fight “   

the gypsy girl fight in “From Russia with love” is some of the best 12 mins ever filmed

Edited by Air pirate

My first 121 job... a flying frat house, turboprops getting paid peanuts.... did some interesting and juvenile things ON COMPANY FREQ, never on guard....A good fun culture.

Here is my suggestion to any of us in how to minimize it: Do not respond, ever. The "yer on guard" police only egg these people on. Its like responding to a troll on the internet. Respond on guard only if someone needs help and you can render aid that ATC cannot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mhrivnak said:

This was addressed recently on the Opposing Bases Podcast (recommended if you haven't listened before. It's two controllers who are also pilots talking about ATC topics.) They said that they, like most facilities, hear everything broadcast on 121.5 and have no way to turn it off. No matter how busy they are or how important it is for them to understand transmissions on their normal frequencies, they'll also hear all the nonsense on guard, and it can be very distracting.

Depends on the facility type but enroute can deselect the freq and not hear it or just turn the speaker down.

23 hours ago, PilotX said:
  1. You are not the gatekeeper or the moral police, call the FCC. You have no suggestions just complaints. Don't tell me or anybody else to SHUT UP.

Don’t tell me or anybody else not to tell you or anybody else to SHUT UP. :D I puffed my chest up a little when I said that. Felt pretty good. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2021 at 8:18 AM, 201er said:

Really? It’s regional? For those of you who are hearing a lot of nonsense on 121.5, can you mention where you’re hearing it?

I was flying back from Michigan to NJ and heard it pretty much anywhere in that range: Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey.

A Southwest pilot is being fired or investigated for saying Let’s Go Brandon over the PA and as silly as it is, it doesn’t cause anywhere near as much harm as doing it on the radio distracting other pilots or blocking the frequency for real emergencies.

Most of the children on guard seem to consistently be heard over ohio.  

On 11/10/2021 at 11:46 AM, PilotX said:

You sound like one of the perpetrators. Here’s the thing, I’ve had I don’t know how many radio calls blocked by somebody saying let’s go Brandon on guard, including communication  during critical phases of flight. I hope they catch all of them And suspend their certificates. There’s no excuse for this crap.   
I know you feel emboldened because you’re hiding behind a fake screen name and an LLC in Broomfield Colorado registered to a lawyer, but you know what you can still be found.  

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 4

On 11/10/2021 at 9:45 AM, PilotX said:

No the LGB thing is political speech, I inferred that it only came up because it is political speech. Telling MSers to SHUT UP because somebody is irked by political speech on guard is not the appropriate forum, maybe contact the FCC. I suppose I could go to APF or PPW and tell everybody over there to shut up if I didn't like what I heard on the radio.  

I only found one reference to meow's on guard in my exhaustive search. 

If it’s not an emergency transmission it’s improper use. I know you think it’s funny and I know you admitted in earlier post that you’re sort of responsible for this, but that’s not a place for your political speech.