West Mooney fly in OXR?

Tommooney

Oxnard OXR reopened today after a complete rebuild of 5900' x 100' runway and 3 month closure. Its smooth as glass when I returned today. ILS out for another week but 2 RNAV and Vor approaches good. Very nice tower controllers. Usually very little traffic for a towered ap.

The two FBOs have crew cars. The terminal building has car rental companies.

There are two harbors ( Channel Is and Ventura ) a 15 min drive away with harbor view restaurants. Reagan Library and Air Force 1 ( B707 ) are half hour drive.

I am have a hanger here. Any interest in a fly in ? I'd be glad to use my hanger that faces runway. Usually the fall and winter are the best VFR wx here. ( vs June gloom fog )

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This Saturday Nov 13 OXR is forecast 81 degrees and sunny. 

I'll be there 9-3:00.

Channel Islands harbor is 10 minutes away. FBOs have crew cars or Uber is here. Sea Fresh restaurant is good seafood on harbor w view and out door dining. There is live music on week ends at the food court. 

I'll invite some airport friends.

Anyone is welcome. I'm next to the OXR jet center @  T hanger 14. The jet center fuel guys will know, just park there and ask. 

Tom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kortopates said:

Thank for the invite and for being a host!

I'd love to come sometime but as a CFI I never have a Saturday free unless I plan for it several weeks out and this Sunday I am replacing my cranksahft seal.

Not a CFI but this is my situation too.  If we could do this again sometime with a little more notice I'd definitely want to come!

Sure we can plan farther out. I realized this is ridiculously short notice but with OXR being a mile from the beach I couldn't resist offering this Sat, with the wx forecast 70-80 degrees, it is hard to predict good VFR farther out. I'll be here anyway if anyone wants to come this Sat.

How about suggestions on a future date?

Tom

• Like 1

We had fantastic wx yesterday: CAVU and 80 degrees at OXR. The Channel Islands looked so close from the air and beach. Oxnard Jet Center provided crew cars for trips to the harbor restaurants. Turn out was small but it was short notice to take advantage of wx and new runway. The new runway is really smooth.

If anyone wants to suggest future dates I'll be glad to repeat anytime.

Tom

• Like 2