Stadia Lidar Altimeter

MMsuper21

In this months EAA Sport aviation issue I came across the Stadia. I was looking into the https://LandingHeight.com (MicroKit) but 2 AMU (with install) vs the Stratus version (.5 AMU), this might be interesting. Anyone have any experience with the Stadia? 

https://skeeterenterprises.com/stadia-1

Doesn’t sound familiar…

But they have heard of us….  “Available for most aircraft with tie down rings! (Cherokees, Mooneys, Bonanzas etc.)”

:)

-a-

Battery powered, connected to phone… rechargeable…

Expect that it is a challenge to keep operating and be useable… (?)

See if you can start a conversation with them…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MMsuper21 said:

In this months EAA Sport aviation issue I came across the Stadia. I was looking into the https://LandingHeight.com (MicroKit) but 2 AMU (with install) vs the Stratus version (.5 AMU), this might be interesting. Anyone have any experience with the Stadia? 

https://skeeterenterprises.com/stadia-1

I had the wiring for the Microkit done during an avionics install, so the wiring was around $200. I plugged it in and set it up and cut the hole on the inspection panel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, unless you're shooting CATII approaches I've never seen the need to know AGL.  And CATII needs a certified radar altimeter.

This thing only works below 130 feet.  Other than landing, I'm not real keen on flying below 130 feet, and if I did, I'd damn sure be looking OUTSIDE the airplane, not at this thing:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeOH said:

Honestly, unless you're shooting CATII approaches I've never seen the need to know AGL.  And CATII needs a certified radar altimeter.

This thing only works below 130 feet.  Other than landing, I'm not real keen on flying below 130 feet, and if I did, I'd damn sure be looking OUTSIDE the airplane, not at this thing:D

Agree, my thought process is this would be good for transition training or beginner pilots. Yes I am a noob pilot. Aka keep her 1 foot off the ground till she settles.

Having a temporary gadget till it’s engrained and then pass it on. I will hold off and see how much better I will get after the MAPA PPP in January. Many Thanks

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MMsuper21 said:

Agree, my thought process is this would be good for transition training or beginner pilots. Yes I am a noob pilot. Aka keep her 1 foot off the ground till she settles.

Having a temporary gadget till it’s engrained and then pass it on. I will hold off and see how much better I will get after the MAPA PPP in January. Many Thanks

My $0.02:  I think you are doing yourself a disservice by trying to use this device to improve your landings.  You need to focus on the outside view to learn proper landing perspective; dividing your attention with this thing is only going to prolong learning and possibly become a crutch.  IMHO, a lot of learning to land well is judging closure rate as well as height.  Trying to judge closure rate by looking at an AGL altimeter isn't going to work.

I think the MAPA PPP is the best solution!

Good luck!

• Like 2

I stayed and watched my very experienced avionics guru do the install of the LHS System.  Without any wasted time it took 7 hours.  3 hours day 1 to cut the inspection plate, install the unit, and run the wires to the panel, and 3 hours day 2 to run the wires behind the panel, install an on/off switch, and wire up a circuit breaker.  

As a person who has probably done more landings than anyone on the list over the past 29 years, including thousands and thousands of landings in my 6,500+ hours teaching and transitioning students, and doing a landing video, the LHS system is worth having.  The safety of having the gear callout alone make it worth the price, and for an airplane, a small price it is.  Even I find the 1 foot callout helps make every single landing work out well.  For those new to their airplane it's just one more assist in learning to land properly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 10 months later...

I am writing just to second Don's recommendation. I have had the LHS-B in my plane for about a year. Where it really helps me is in two things, the last two feet and night landings. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I land the plane seems to like to get into the last 1 or 2 feet and just sit there for awhile. It is important to just hold attitude steady and let it drop that last foot when it wants to. But I get twitchy sometimes and worry that I am dropping too fast so I raise the nose a little, and then airspeed drops of course, and then I drop with a klunk. Not anymore. Now I know I am at one foot and am content to just wait and let the plane do its thing.

Night landings are much easier. I will confess my eyes are old and don't see at night as brilliantly as they once did, nor is my landing light the best in the world, so I generally have to feel my way down, hold an attitude, trust that everything is working out and let the plane fall. Now I know exactly where I am.

When Microkit first came out with this some of us suggested they ought to have a way of checking whether the gear has been deployed on final. I just got a notice that they have an upgrade (Mod. 200-C) that wires either to the gear light, or can use an isolated optical sensor on the gear switch to determine if the gear is down, and if it is not, it annunciates "Check Gear" repeatedly until you do something about it. Having that installed just on general principle and I will report back. It also wires to the GPS for GPS altitude and ground speed and now can annuciate altitude starting at 3,000 if you want. Altitude from 200 on down is by lasar, not GPS. In addition it can annunciate ground speed if you find that useful. I am not sure about that one. Lastly, the GPS hookup will eliminate the annoying tendency to alert on clouds while in IMC.

Edited by jlunseth

On 11/6/2021 at 1:10 AM, donkaye said:

The safety of having the gear callout alone make it worth the price, and for an airplane, a small price it is. 

This was the main driver for my to get one (being installed now).

The help with landings will be gravy.