Prop Overhaul

Newbie question here.

I have a 62 M20c, original A hub. 2 blade Hartzel.

it was suggested during my recent oil change that it might be time to look at a prop overhaul.

There has been some oil/grease seepage along the back side of the base of the propeller since i bought it 2 years ago.  Not a lot but enough to be observable in the right lighting conditions.  I've generally just wiped it off once a month or so.  It's not really ever seemed to affect the operation of the propeller.

My question is, what is usually involved with a prop overall?  does it just look at the prop or do they get into all the workings in the spinner?

Also, about how many AMU's does one usually go for?

Thanks,

1 hour ago, Nstarbf said:

Newbie question here.

I have a 62 M20c, original A hub. 2 blade Hartzel.

it was suggested during my recent oil change that it might be time to look at a prop overhaul.

There has been some oil/grease seepage along the back side of the base of the propeller since i bought it 2 years ago.  Not a lot but enough to be observable in the right lighting conditions.  I've generally just wiped it off once a month or so.  It's not really ever seemed to affect the operation of the propeller.

My question is, what is usually involved with a prop overall?  does it just look at the prop or do they get into all the workings in the spinner?

Also, about how many AMU's does one usually go for?

Thanks,

For part 91, just IRAN it via a good shop, not overhaul.  Cheaper, fixes everything you need and nothing you don’t.  Overhaul means grinding the blades and if they end up thinner than spec (real risk,  particularly if overhauled before) then you pay $$ only to trash the prop in the end.

BTW a small amount of grease seepage past the seals is not a big deal. Usually its Aeroshell #6 grease, which likes to break down and liquify.  If it’s minor, you can just keep an eye on it in this state for a very long time, top it off periodically with a couple squirts of #5 into the hub. If you get it IRAN’d the seals will get addressed. If the prop was IRAN’d or overhauled shortly before going on your plane 2 years ago, it’s probably best just to watch it. 

But with the AD hub, I’d be inclined to get rid of that painful AD if the prop is gonna come off the plane for service.  In that case a different prop altogether may prove the most economical path.

• Like 2

I've should have added that the last time (like 3 months ago) I did the eddy inspection and the technician at the prop shop indicated that there was nothing wrong with the prop so based on that quip i don't believe that any grinding of the prop will be needed. 

If I do get an overhaul done, upgrading to the B hub is on top of the list.  I actually had a B hub in my hand at the prop shop i referenced above.  The technician told me i could probably get it for like .6 AMU.  When I actually talked to a manager type a little bit later, the same hub was a bit over 2 AMU's...  even though it was used...

Inflation was creeping in even before the election...  :mellow:   

Prop re-seal is a common practice…

Prop OH only when required…

Corrosion found… while resealing may require the next steps…

Post pics, see if Cody can have a look…

The B-hub makes life a bit easier…  the annual inspection, for a one in a thousand problem…. Slowly eats a comparable amount of money…

PP thoughts only, not a prop guy…

-a-

• Like 1

• 1 month later...