Paint before a major avionics install?

bmcconnaha

I was originally planning to paint my airplane late spring, but ran into some delay on stuff from Garmin.  Feb 16th ship date.  The paint shop called and said they could get to me in December.  Normally I'd pass, and just do the avionics first, but the plane will be down for a while for a significant Avionics install (8 weeks is the estimate). G3x with engine monitor and CIES senders, GFC500, GTN750xi, audio panel, new backup com, removal of old inop stormscope, primary vac,standby vac etc... So, I would most likely put paint off again until next winter to avoid completely not flying all summer.  Would you paint the plane before such a major project? or, is the better bet to delay it until next winter? 

Paint is often last…

Especially if new windows or tank sealing are in the plan…

Start planning the antenna farm…

It is probably good to know all the antenna hole locations prior to painting…

Often there is some cleaning of antenna ground planes and taking care of corrosion involved…

Looking forward to seeing the progress….  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Paint is often last…

Especially if new windows or tank sealing are in the plan…

Start planning the antenna farm…

It is probably good to know all the antenna hole locations prior to painting…

Often there is some cleaning of antenna ground planes and taking care of corrosion involved…

Looking forward to seeing the progress….  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Good news is I am not really adding any antennas.  I was a waas GPS antenna already, another antenna that I'm thinking the shop will swap for the XM antenna.  I might move the transponder antenna towards the tail, otherwise most will stay.  Painshop plans to replace the windshield.  I'm more concerned with lots of trips in and out of the interior, and access into the back for the AP install.  

• Like 1

Think of it this way…

If you have it all painted nice…

Then install the AP…

You are going to cringe every time they open a panel….   :)

There is a recent set of videos of an MSer using ArtCraft to paint his bird…

You might review that to see if any ideas come up…. I think Ilya did the videos…

In the end… the order of completion probably doesn’t matter too much… good paint jobs can be fixed if something gets scratched….

Windshield first… because the trim gets replaced and painted….

Changing out side windows are pretty low cost compared to the windshield….

The plane is going to look brand new with fancy paint and windows…. (Initial impression)

Super new with fancy color screens inside…. (Final impression)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Yes, I'm in the same dilemma. Paint, Avionics, Interior, etc... My order of operation is not lining up with the multiple shops scheduling as well. Not to mention my work is getting done in three different states. Uhh

12 hours ago, bmcconnaha said:

Good news is I am not really adding any antennas.  I was a waas GPS antenna already, another antenna that I'm thinking the shop will swap for the XM antenna.  I might move the transponder antenna towards the tail, otherwise most will stay.  Painshop plans to replace the windshield.  I'm more concerned with lots of trips in and out of the interior, and access into the back for the AP install.  

I have done several avionics upgrades over the years and every one returned the plane with some battle scars. Whether it was scratches on the paint where the avionics tech was obviously hanging their feet outside of the plane, scratches on the windscreen, scuffs from stuff they rested on the plane's wings or even the minor scratch they left on the avionics bay door as they let the screwdriver slip off of the screw as they were accessing the bay. I'd wait.

Just now, Marauder said:

I have done several avionics upgrades over the years and every one returned the plane with some battle scars. Whether it was scratches on the paint where the avionics tech was obviously hanging their feet outside of the plane, scratches on the windscreen, scuffs from stuff they rested on the plane's wings or even the minor scratch they left on the avionics bay door as they let the screwdriver slip off of the screw as they were accessing the bay. I'd wait.

yeah, thats good to know... probably best to wait.  im pretty picky. 

• Like 1