Prop frustration. Help / Advise needed.

Irmin

Hello, I am Irmin Kerck from Austria/Europe. I am an aerial cinematographer (www.kerck.com). Flying was always part of me since learning to fly gliders when I was very young. During a filming job in Italy I found a MSE sitting outside on the airfield with no prop and no engine. I found out it has had a prop strike 6 years ago and since then it didn't fly, so I bought it. It is a 1990 M20J MSE being never used again after a prop strike. It has been moved out of the hangar this April, so it needs rescuing. Now, I hoped to get everything ready to fly the Mooney from Italy home to Germany, but so far there is one hurdle. I can not find a used or new prop to fly it out. I would be happy to find a used one or a new one and frankly, at the moment I do not even have priorities for either 2-blade or 3-blade design. I got feedback from Hartzell, McCauley and MT, they all have very long delivery times, up to 5 month. I would be glad to go through all the shipping and customs challenges if I could get my hands on a prop. I also reached out in Europe but so far no success. Needless to say, the blades alone wouldn't do it, as all the hub and associated stuff has to be replaced. The only thing I could keep is the spinner for the old McCauley. Aircraft serial: 24-3205, Engine:IO-360-A3B6D, old Prop was B2D34C214. 

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Irmin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irmin said:

Hello, I am Irmin Kerck from Austria/Europe. I am an aerial cinematographer (www.kerck.com). Flying was always part of me since learning to fly gliders when I was very young. During a filming job in Italy I found a MSE sitting outside on the airfield with no prop and no engine. I found out it has had a prop strike 6 years ago and since then it didn't fly, so I bought it. It is a 1990 M20J MSE being never used again after a prop strike. It has been moved out of the hangar this April, so it needs rescuing. Now, I hoped to get everything ready to fly the Mooney from Italy home to Germany, but so far there is one hurdle. I can not find a used or new prop to fly it out. I would be happy to find a used one or a new one and frankly, at the moment I do not even have priorities for either 2-blade or 3-blade design. I got feedback from Hartzell, McCauley and MT, they all have very long delivery times, up to 5 month. I would be glad to go through all the shipping and customs challenges if I could get my hands on a prop. I also reached out in Europe but so far no success. Needless to say, the blades alone wouldn't do it, as all the hub and associated stuff has to be replaced. The only thing I could keep is the spinner for the old McCauley. Aircraft serial: 24-3205, Engine:IO-360-A3B6D, old Prop was B2D34C214. 

Irmin

PM sent to you.

Clarence

Welcome aboard Irmin!

Don’t be surprised if you find there is a lot more involved than just swapping the prop…

In the US… we have procedures to follow to make sure the damage is limited to the prop, and doesn’t go into the engine….

There is a discussion around here with all the details….

Sounds like you may have that covered as well…. :)

A Mooney makes a great traveling machine…

Cody is a great Prop Guy… he has a propellor shop used by many MSers…. @Cody Stallings

For pre-flown props…  see if these people have what you are looking for….

@Alan Fox

@Jerry Pressley

@SheryLoewen

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

33 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Irmin!

Don’t be surprised if you find there is a lot more involved than just swapping the prop…

In the US… we have procedures to follow to make sure the damage is limited to the prop, and doesn’t go into the engine….

There is a discussion around here with all the details….

Sounds like you may have that covered as well…. :)

A Mooney makes a great traveling machine…

Cody is a great Prop Guy… he has a propellor shop used by many MSers…. @Cody Stallings

For pre-flown props…  see if these people have what you are looking for….

@Alan Fox

@Jerry Pressley

@SheryLoewen

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you very much indeed. Here in Europe the laws are about the same. The engine was disassembled, shock loading repairs all done. All bearings etc and also the camshaft. 

best,

Irmin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2021 at 4:49 AM, Irmin said:

Irmin

If you are still looking for a prop I have what you need:

B2D34C214 / 90DHB-16E From M20J asking $4600. Prop was overhauled 3-22-20, 83.6 TSOH I have all log books, no damage history.

You can contact me at 847.705.0607

I have no idea what shipping would be to you, would have to add that to the price.

9 minutes ago, John328 said:

If you are still looking for a prop I have what you need:

B2D34C214 / 90DHB-16E From M20J asking $4600. Prop was overhauled 3-22-20, 83.6 TSOH I have all log books, no damage history.

You can contact me at 847.705.0607

I have no idea what shipping would be to you, would have to add that to the price.

Hello John,  I appreciate you contacting me but I’ve found a prop in Canada a while ago. 
thanks, Irmin

On 11/3/2021 at 10:49 AM, Irmin said:

Irmin

PROBLEM SOLVED / BOUGHT A PROPELLER

Thank you all very much

• Like 3

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Great follow-up Irmin!

What’s next?

-a-

Well,

mid January we are hoping to marry the engine to the airframe again to get it ready to be flown away from Elba to Germany. Then everything needed will be done including avionics. 91D4D6A4-0D77-4248-ABAA-86214ED9BD41.thumb.jpeg.e0391075416884bc3944aeb7feb6b03b.jpegE9CFFA38-C3E9-4842-94F2-69BF9C9E6A3D.thumb.jpeg.7490870bd204c35ca21760e1f09550d1.jpeg0F9DF13A-2437-4485-8102-667696C93DDC.thumb.jpeg.1571ba9fa86b3a42fc30516b912650a1.jpeg9968B1E5-9382-49C8-BD2C-21E6B8761CFC.thumb.jpeg.9dec1500ae4562bec493eb2c1efc83ee.jpeg9968B1E5-9382-49C8-BD2C-21E6B8761CFC.thumb.jpeg.9dec1500ae4562bec493eb2c1efc83ee.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for fixing that .jpg of my panel!

Regarding the panel upgrade I am still in doubt how much money to invest. Clearly, there is no limit on what one could spend…. It needs to be IFR, and as the plane has only 1200h on the clock and was well maintained until the prop strike I think about keeping the original sixpack plus a new mid-sized GPS interfacing to the original KFC-150. Also, as I intend to fly lop I want a nice engine monitor I can read with my 55 year old eyes.
Also I have already acquired the following preowned items:

KX 165A com (8.33)
KY 196B com (8.33)
KMA 30 switch panel
Trig TT31 Transponder (8.33)
Orolia SAS ELT

I bought them as a bundle from a crashed aircraft so I might not necessarily use all of them. They are a good starting point though, and as I don’t want to spend more for the panel as I had to pay for the whole airplane with engine (new bearings, new camshaft, 1000h left) I payed 25.000 Euros for the MSE with engine, so I hope to get the panel IFR ready for 22.000 Euros as I have already spent 3.000,- for the above mentioned items.

The majority of people I speak to are leaning towards Garmin and the main reason seems to be not only the quality of the electronics and screens but also the long term support. Well, I simply don’t know about that as this is my first own plane. I hated the Garmin 1000 in the DA42 I flew for a while, though. Too many functions under one screen and also not very intuitive. And obviously no touch screen… I caught myself looking more onto the screen than out of the window. Having said that I am sure that if I have had more time with the system I would have mastered it better.

Anyhow: I would be glad if you gave me your opinion now that you know about my prerequisite!

Best,
Irmin

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I think you are on the right track of starting with the basics. The general advice on this forum, and a good one, has always been to fly the plane for a year or two and determine what you really need vs going on a shopping spree after buying a plane :-) I am not sure if you are already instrument rated or not. If not, your desires may change after the training. And don't assume a full glass cockpit is the natural choice. Plenty of pilots here prefer the six pack with AI & HSI replaced with non-vacuum counterparts. The six pack instruments can still give you more information at a glance than when you have the read the digits and interpret them to get the same information. You will find what you like, but it takes time, especially if this is your first plane. Remember - there are plenty of other important things to save up for than flashy instrument panels.

For brands, almost all manufacturers had issues with them in flight so I can't say there's a spotless example that could be recommended. Some could say Garmin for the integrated cockpit that you can have with AP, NAV, PFD/MFD, XPDR, etc. But there's Dynon as well. Garmin does have a touch screen counterpart, the G3X touch. It's user interface is similar to but different from the G1000. I would say offer someone a $10 burger for a $100 flight :D and play around with their instruments and see what you like.

• Like 1