Avionics Upgrade, Day 1

KLRDMD

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

Pictures like this give me the heebie-jeebies!! :blink: Why are ALL of the wires WHITE?????

Factory wires are usually stamped with the signal name every 18" on each wire, and I think most repair stations do that, too.    The repair station that did my panel even showed me their wire printing machine, but it appears that they did not use it on all harnesses that they installed.   :(

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Factory wires are usually stamped with the signal name every 18" on each wire, and I think most repair stations do that, too.    The repair station that did my panel even showed me their wire printing machine, but it appears that they did not use it on all harnesses that they installed.   :(

Everything we have at work (I'm at my 6th manufacturing location) uses multicolored wires. The stuff we do ourselves, and just about everything we buy, from allover the world. Thermocouple wire colors are used to determine the type of TC.

So why are airplane wires all white???

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 3:43 PM, Hank said:

So why are airplane wires all white???

There are not enough colors in the rainbow, nor stripes on a zebra.  Some avionics connectors have upwards of 50 wires.   Simpler to use one color wire, and print a number/code along its length.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

There are not enough colors in the rainbow, nor stripes on a zebra.  Some avionics connectors have upwards of 50 wires.   Simpler to use one color wire, and print a number/code along its length.

That's what stripes are for. Red wire/white stripe, red wire/blue stripe, etc.

47 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Why do we have both CAN bus and ARINC? Is it safety redundancy? 

ARINC 429 is an industry standard and used by a lot of manufacturers. Garmin started using CAN bus in it's experimental avionics and migrated it to some of the certified products (G5, G3X, GFC 500 systems). Garmin also uses a proprietary Ethernet interface (they call it HSDB) and a plethora of proprietary RS-232 protocols. Basically, Garmin uses whatever interfaces it needs to get the functionality and compatibility they want. 

Skip

2 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

You should be done by February, or is Troy’s boys doing it?

He said two months. I dropped it off on November 1. No, Troy is a die-hard Garmin guy and I'm installing Aspen, Avidyne, and PSE.

• Like 1