KOCF New Restaurant PIREP

BKlott

Michelle and I flew up to Ocala today to try out the newly opened Elevation 89 restaurant. The restaurant is located in the south wing of the new terminal building, which is an absolutely beautiful facility. 

We were greeted and seated immediately at a table with a runway view. Our server was friendly, efficient and got our order exactly right. Our food arrived within 15 minutes and it was served hot, just like it should be. Michelle had the chicken tacos with fresh seasonal vegetables. She liked her tacos and said that the vegetables were so good that she would have been happy to order a large bowl of just them. I asked for the Philly Sandwich without the mushrooms, peppers and onions. It came that way with just the meat and the melted cheese, just like I wanted it. I ate every bite of it, it was that good. The fries were good too but I just couldn’t finish them. I was full.

The place was busy and most, but not all, of the tables were occupied. They clearly are pulling in people from the community and are not just serving the fly-in traffic. They are open seven days a week serving breakfast, lunch and dinner on Monday thru Saturday, then closing early at 2:00 pm on Sunday.

The Manager stopped by to ask how we liked it? Michelle said “we’ll be back” and I just said “excellent”. Now he has the tough task of making sure that he doesn’t do anything to screw it up. It is nice to finally have an airport restaurant that is good enough that you would go to even if it wasn’t at the airport.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

Plus, the FBO has a couple of Mooneys they instruct in. Sounds like a win-win.

R2

One is a 1964 C model with a vintage paint scheme that was similar to my Dad’s 1864 C. I had actually called and spoken with the owner when it was up for sale. I think it was hangared in Wisconsin at the time. It needed quite a bit of expensive fix ups to make it the way I wanted it, things I had already done to my airplane. In the end I just couldn’t justify it.

I did think long and hard about it and even considered using it to physically re-enact my family’s 1970 cross country Mooney flight on it’s 50th Anniversary in 2020. 

21 minutes ago, BKlott said:

One is a 1964 C model with a vintage paint scheme that was similar to my Dad’s 1864 C. I had actually called and spoken with the owner when it was up for sale. I think it was hangared in Wisconsin at the time. It needed quite a bit of expensive fix ups to make it the way I wanted it, things I had already done to my airplane. In the end I just couldn’t justify it.

I did think long and hard about it and even considered using it to physically re-enact my family’s 1970 cross country Mooney flight on it’s 50th Anniversary in 2020. 

I’m sure that would have been some great reminiscing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I flew there about two weeks ago....it was so busy but they sat us.  We chose to order off of the menu vs the buffet.  We had to flag down a waitress and then had to flag another one down after we waited a long time to find out when the food was coming.  

They have some bugs to work out.  I will be back but will give it a little while.  

FBO fuel I remember as pricy but there is a self serve north of the FBO.  I remember the price as not being that desirable for me to go do another start on the airplane.  

• 1 month later...