New owner (2 months in) needs wisdom of the group on pitot tube and interior parts

Proud new to me owner of speedy "65" E Model (pictured below) seeks your advice. Should I replace "old school" unheated pitot (pictured) that works fine with a modern heated pitot? If so, is the cost and availability of the parts and installation reasonable (approximate AMU's)? I like the safety aspect of a heated pitot. Second question, anyone know where I can find a replacement footwell plastic moulding (pictured). I discovered how brittle and frail mine was while replacing the carpet. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Mooneydrmr

Pitot tube.PNG

plane profile pic.PNG

Footwell plastics.PNG

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

https://vantageassoc.com/airplane.html for the footwell and most other ABS interior parts you might need.  I have never seen a Mooney with an unheated pitot tube before.  I guess replacing it would depend on how you use your Mooney. 

Jim

Suggestion on Vantage Plane Plastics.  If you don't see the part you're looking for under your model year, look around at other years and models.  Their web site and drawings are a scrambled mess and very hard to use.  Or call them and tell them what you are looking for if you can't find it.  They do have that footwell though; I bought them a few years ago.  

On 10/30/2021 at 10:57 AM, Mooneydreamr said:

Proud new to me owner of speedy "65" E Model (pictured below) seeks your advice. Should I replace "old school" unheated pitot (pictured) that works fine with a modern heated pitot? If so, is the cost and availability of the parts and installation reasonable (approximate AMU's)? I like the safety aspect of a heated pitot. Second question, anyone know where I can find a replacement footwell plastic moulding (pictured). I discovered how brittle and frail mine was while replacing the carpet. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Mooneydrmr

Pitot tube.PNG

plane profile pic.PNG

Footwell plastics.PNG

You may not like the price of a new heated pitot heat.  The mounting mast should be available for a number of scrap yards.

Clarence

2EDD42FA-BBAF-4B79-B74E-A776D472AEA2.jpeg

Wow, Mooneydreamr, you're only two months in?  Welcome to the club!

Yes, definitely upgrade the pitot tube with a heated one.  It shouldn't be too difficult to find a used one for a modest price; fortunately there are no moving parts so it's not like shopping for a used gyro instrument. Also since it's not an airworthiness item so you can find the part at your leisure and then upgrade it at the next annual.  Installing the switch and wiring shouldn't be a big deal.

If you plan on keeping the aircraft for a while, it's definitely a good idea to keep its cosmetics in good shape.

This is off-topic regarding the pitot tube, but since you're a new Mooney owner allow me to give you some tips on what to pay close attention to -- based on my 33+ years of owning a '65 C:

• Cabin entry door:  Always keep a small vice-grip in the cabin. The cabin door latch handle is mounted to a spline and held in place with a cotter pin or bar through the spline. That pin/bar can and will break at some point, trapping you in the cabin. The vice-grip is your backup door latch handle.
  • Tow limits:  If towing with a tug is unavoidable, make absolutely certain the person towing the aircraft knows about the nose gear steering limits! If they don't pay attention, you'll have to buy a new nose gear assembly and you might not discover it until later when you can't prove who did the damage.
  • The gascolator and its gaskets need to be in good working order, now and always. It's quite reliable and is easy to forget about. Don't.
  • Fuel cap seals (large and small) no cracks, no leaks.
  • Fuel strainers:  no leakage, no rust.
  • Fuel tanks:  well-sealed, no seepage.
  • Birds:  If the aircraft isn't in an enclosed hangar, birds love to nest not only in the tailcone, but also in the empty space between the bottom sheet metal and the passenger seat deck. They enter at the openings on the underside of each wing root.
  • To make sure the mains aren't spinning when you retract the gear, press the brakes - assuming you have manual gear, just brace your feet a bit on the brakes when you're moving the Johnson bar.
  • The Mooney is a very stable aircraft and performs well when it comes to crosswind landings, slips to lose altitude, and no-flap landings. But pay VERY close attention to weight and balance if you have more than two people in the aircraft. Keep a loading diagram in your EFB and consult it.  Don't operate the gear or fly with gear down above the green arc, and don't fly with flaps in excess of flap speed; otherwise at some point you'll damage the equipment.
  • Invest in good ANR headsets. Mooney cabins are loud and ANR headsets make flying much more pleasant (and probably safer too)

Feel free to direct-message me if you ever have any questions!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Mooneydreamr said:

Wow! Thanks guys. You have given me a wealth of information and some logical directions to pursue. Thanks a million! By the way, is it possible to love an inanimate object?

Hi Kevin! Absolutely!

-Matt

3 hours ago, Mooneydreamr said:

Wow! Thanks guys. You have given me a wealth of information and some logical directions to pursue. Thanks a million! By the way, is it possible to love an inanimate object?

Once you name it… it is hard to hide your love….

Find references to A particular Gypsy Rose around here…. Her owner has passed, but she lives in another MSer’s hangar…. The love goes on…

Some owners have been known to pat the plane before leaving… giving words of thanks…

:)

-a-

On 11/1/2021 at 6:19 AM, Alan Fox said:

That plane came with a heated pitot tube , I have never seen a Mooney with a pitot tube like the one pictured , I dont believe it is legal... I think I have the Mount kit for the correct installation

I’ve never seen one like it either, but from the IPC.

CBF2DA93-EA08-46C4-89DC-3BE005BFDA01.jpeg

20 hours ago, carusoam said:

Once you name it… it is hard to hide your love….

Find references to A particular Gypsy Rose around here…. Her owner has passed, but she lives in another MSer’s hangar…. The love goes on…

Some owners have been known to pat the plane before leaving… giving words of thanks…

:)

-a-

Hate to say but mine gets a kiss on the nose and told some Luvy mush along with thanks for taking good care of me whenever I leave her. 

• Like 1