201 canopy cover on a C model?

Hey friends, 

I’m always checking the classifieds when I travel and at my next layover city, there’s a Bruce’s canopy cover for a 201 for sale. 

I’ve got a C model with the 201 windshield. Would the thing fit, or is the mid-body fuselage stretch significant enough to kill the deal? 

Considering it’s about 1/3 the cost of a new one I’m tempted to give it a shot regardless, and if it doesn’t work, I know a guy with an F who could probably use it. 

It will stretch out longer onto the tailcone but that is a good thing.  It would fit better if you had a 201 windshield.  It should work in any case.  You can always tailor it to fit if you need to take in some loose cloth.  You should likely pay no more than about $150 used.  As an occasional membor of the CB club, I have purchased all of my covers online used.  But they all are in like new condition.   You can even take off the N number and have Bruce make a new one for about $35.  Then, sew it on yourself (I have a pot motor Singer that is great for straight sewing canvas and leather).  Apparently Rolls Royce used these machines to sew their upholstery.  They too can be found used.

John Breda

3 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

It will stretch out longer onto the tailcone but that is a good thing.  It would fit better if you had a 201 windshield.  It should work in any case.  You can always tailor it to fit if you need to take in some loose cloth.  You should likely pay no more than about $150 used.  As an occasional membor of the CB club, I have purchased all of my covers online used.  But they all are in like new condition.   You can even take off the N number and have Bruce make a new one for about $35.  Then, sew it on yourself (I have a pot motor Singer that is great for straight sewing canvas and leather).  Apparently Rolls Royce used these machines to sew their upholstery.  They too can be found used.

John Breda

Yep, I’ve got the 201 windshield so the front should fit nicely. this one is pretty much new, the previous owner only used it when he traveled, which is my plan as well. 

thanks! 

55 minutes ago, Pasturepilot said:

Yep, I’ve got the 201 windshield so the front should fit nicely. this one is pretty much new, the previous owner only used it when he traveled, which is my plan as well. 

thanks! 

Just make sure it fits pretty tight and doesn’t move in a breeze.  You don’t want it rubbing.

On 10/30/2021 at 4:25 AM, Pasturepilot said:

Hey friends, 

I’m always checking the classifieds when I travel and at my next layover city, there’s a Bruce’s canopy cover for a 201 for sale. 

I’ve got a C model with the 201 windshield. Would the thing fit, or is the mid-body fuselage stretch significant enough to kill the deal? 

Considering it’s about 1/3 the cost of a new one I’m tempted to give it a shot regardless, and if it doesn’t work, I know a guy with an F who could probably use it. 

I'm as CB as the next guy, but I'd skip it unless you can get the measurements for the antenna pockets off of the cover for sale and confirm they match your plane exactly.  When you order a new cover, it is custom made based on your measurements of antenna locations. The hassle of altering a cover from another plane to move these pockets probably isn't worth the savings.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DXB said:

I'm as CB as the next guy, but I'd skip it unless you can get the measurements for the antenna pockets off of the cover for sale and confirm they match your plane exactly.  When you order a new cover, it is custom made based on your measurements of antenna locations. The hassle of altering a cover from another plane to move these pockets probably isn't worth the savings.

That’s a great point.  The only antennae I have in the area, I believe, are two low-profile GPS ones. There’s a comm antenna behind the baggage door that may require a slit cut, but shouldn’t be a big deal. 

Already met the guy and bought the cover. Turns out it was his dad’s, who died in a mooney crash earlier this summer. It was the last thing they were trying to sell from his hangar collection. Even if it winds up a dud, at least I helped a Mooney family move past that hurdle. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Pasturepilot said:

That’s a great point.  The only antennae I have in the area, I believe, are two low-profile GPS ones. There’s a comm antenna behind the baggage door that may require a slit cut, but shouldn’t be a big deal. 

Already met the guy and bought the cover. Turns out it was his dad’s, who died in a mooney crash earlier this summer. It was the last thing they were trying to sell from his hangar collection. Even if it winds up a dud, at least I helped a Mooney family move past that hurdle. 

The Bravo with folded wings has a long thread to go with it… around here somewhere…

Bruces covers are the best…

Bruce is still running the company… for the last 40years…

He sent me a mailer this week…. I read through it looking at pics of prop covers and cowl insulated covers… and that cover for the tail where birds like to hide houses in…

My favorite cover shop on the east coast retired…

expect things at the back of the cover to be in the wrong place… like the handle cover for the baggage door…

You can probably mark it, and get a new one made, or move the one that is there… call the shop or find one locally…

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Bruces covers are the best…

After looking around different fields, I found that the Kennon cover was the most custom fit.  It WAS a better choice. But Bruce bought that part of the business.  So no more new Kennon covers. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, looping back, in case anyone encounters this issue: the 201 cover on a C model with a 201 windshield works fine. 

And, it turns out, it’s a Kennon cover, not a Bruce’s. 

My only antennae on the cabin roof are low profile GPS ones, so the mast antenna sock didn’t have to line up at all.

Tried it out for the first time yesterday in Carlsbad NM as we continue our quest to fly to the national parks.  Only thing that doesn’t line up is the cutout for the handle. I can live with that as rarely as I’ll be using it. 

But yeah, it works. 

56B38F7A-38B0-40CB-80B1-51B852E3DC23.thumb.jpeg.68691e1fd3ec4258d062156be70a9159.jpeg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

Good find.  I have two Kennon covers bought used. You can get a shop to sew you a new N number badge.

What did it cost you?

John Breda

I had negotiated down to about $150 I think it was… then I heard the story and realized this was the son of the owner who’d died in an accident, and he drove it from Long Beach over to Redondo where I was on a layover. 

I paid his full asking price plus a delivery fee. 

1 hour ago, Pasturepilot said:

So, looping back, in case anyone encounters this issue: the 201 cover on a C model with a 201 windshield works fine. 

And, it turns out, it’s a Kennon cover, not a Bruce’s. 

My only antennae on the cabin roof are low profile GPS ones, so the mast antenna sock didn’t have to line up at all.

Tried it out for the first time yesterday in Carlsbad NM as we continue our quest to fly to the national parks.  Only thing that doesn’t line up is the cutout for the handle. I can live with that as rarely as I’ll be using it. 

But yeah, it works. 

56B38F7A-38B0-40CB-80B1-51B852E3DC23.thumb.jpeg.68691e1fd3ec4258d062156be70a9159.jpeg

That cover should work well for you, but tighten the straps so it doesn't shift or flap in the wind. This is my C.

20211127_101738.thumb.jpg.9eee0cdfddc061dc8ac617bc8522f537.jpg