precise flight speedbrake switch

bmcconnaha

we installed precise flight electric speedbrakes.  the installer used the push button switch on the panel with built in annunciator.  I dont like the switch all that much, and we are cutting a new panel for an avionics upgrade... has anyone used another switch, and where did you locate it? If the g3x can do an annunciator, i can put the annunciator there.

My speedbrake button is on left yoke handle. It is convenient to not have to take hand off yoke to deploy / retract. It is left of AP disconnect buttons. Sorry , I dont have better view. 

My speed brakes ware installed shortly after I bought it new in 2003, by Chandler AZ MSC. I bought the base Ovation to save money ( base was $299K vs loaded was $399K ) , when I picked it up test pilot Mike Miles looked at me and smiled " your gonna miss the speed brakes " and he was right. At first they MSC were not sure of where to put button but I asked them to look at the location on new factory installed and they found and ordered the " band " that is under the trim / AP buttons. 

0?ui=2&ik=b6dd014840&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1714429436806740752&th=17cae07d4556bb10&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-avqoFS04O7sV4OZWcavYvq3-Rype7Fwl3ebBKhW97jG8Fq2oI50YQulAz59a66rug-zY3--IzbmjGoPoN-e7xD7efckqjeBWVG_izeWyfjTCN_TsuX6Ygsss&disp=emb

Tom

14 minutes ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Bought mine at Oshkosh in 2012. Installed by a MSC with the operating switch added to the left yoke. 

In hindsight site, that may have been a better location.  Installer didn’t think he could fit it there.  Avionics guy will be there anyways installing the GFC500 and associated parts, so now might be the time to relook at a yoke button 

I kept mine on the yoke when I upgraded from the vacuum to 100 series electric.

If you have the 2000 series you can have just a single light since the logic in the brake controller prevents a partial deploy. The 100 series has to show each brake individually since you have to retract it manually if you get a partial deployment.

All this to say, you can have a yoke switch if you prefer so long as you meet the annunciation requirements. You should be able to use the lighted switch as your annunciation and the yoke switch for deployment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smwash02 said:

I kept mine on the yoke when I upgraded from the vacuum to 100 series electric.

If you have the 2000 series you can have just a single light since the logic in the brake controller prevents a partial deploy. The 100 series has to show each brake individually since you have to retract it manually if you get a partial deployment.

All this to say, you can have a yoke switch if you prefer so long as you meet the annunciation requirements. You should be able to use the lighted switch as your annunciation and the yoke switch for deployment.

pretty sure these are the 2000s.  the are only about three months old, and have a single button for both brakes, that also acts as an annunciator.

43 minutes ago, bmcconnaha said:

pretty sure these are the 2000s.  the are only about three months old, and have a single button for both brakes, that also acts as an annunciator.

Most likely, they told me I got the last of the 100 series because I needed to convert from vacuum and was told I'd have to re-skin to get the 2000s. If you didn't have brakes prior, you almost certainly have the 2000s.

It's within the STC to have a yoke button, so you can go that route if you wish. See my attachment.

2000_stc.png

Edited by smwash02

I have 100 series in my 1994 M20J installed at the factory before delivery. I have a single SPEED BRAKE annunciator light in the annunciator panel and a push button switch on the left horn of the pilot’s yoke under the autopilot switch cluster.

This button is handy, but I found that it is easy to brush the switch without noticing it when reaching around the left side of the yoke to reach the left PFD knob. I once did this while extricating myself from icing and one speed brake did not fully retract after being momentarily deployed. After that, I put a red band on the breaker and pull it anytime I turn on pitot heat.

Skip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1