Do you know what the fuel requirements are for IFR?

7 hours ago, EricJ said:

That's a little bit disjoint since the relevant reg applies "in IFR conditions", in which case you can't cancel IFR.

Is "IFR conditions" a meteorological condition only? If so why do we differentiate "IMC" from "IFR"? What does the "R" abbreviate?

For instance, you are not IFR current, but it is clear, blue day. Can you file IFR and fly on an IFR flight plan?

5 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Is "IFR conditions" a meteorological condition only? If so why do we differentiate "IMC" from "IFR"? What does the "R" abbreviate?

Which "IFR conditions" allow you to cancel IFR?     IMC does not.   Being in Class A does not. 

Returning on my last trip to Santa Barbara, I filed to get above the marine layer. I filed direct Palm Springs. 5 min after departure they gave me  reroute to Palmdale. “Canceling IFR, proceeding direct PSP, climbing 15500”,. Their response was “would you like flight following?”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

Which "IFR conditions" allow you to cancel IFR?     IMC does not.   Being in Class A does not. 

Well if you are on top in VMC conditions you can cancel IFR. You can later do a pop up at a selected airport for the approach.

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

FAR 61.57(c) seems pretty clear.  "A person may act as PIC under IFR or weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR only if .."

That implies conducting an IFR flight (which requires accepting an IFR clearance, in turn) requires currency, even in VMC

Edit: oops, quoted the wrong post!  Meant to quote @GeeBee!

Edited by jaylw314

26 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

FAR 61.57(c) seems pretty clear.  "A person may act as PIC under IFR or weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR only if .."

That implies conducting an IFR flight (which requires accepting an IFR clearance, in turn) requires currency, even in VMC

Edit: oops, quoted the wrong post!  Meant to quote @GeeBee!

When I had my IFR check-ride a couple weeks ago that was the answer I gave the DPE when he asked a similar question and he was clear in his response. He said if you are going to file and accept an IFR clearance you must be IFR current. The only exception was if there was a CFII on board like during training. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 5:47 PM, GeeBee said:

That is correct. "IFR conditions" means more than weather, and that was my point. You don't have to be in IMC to be in "IFR Conditions".

According to the Pilot/Controller Glossary, “IFR Conditions” is the same as “IMC.”

658087172_Screenshot2021-11-08at9_43_03PM.thumb.png.aa7ae151a360fef945dc758228272e4f.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

"IFR Conditions". One is a meteorological term (notice it says "see IMC"), the other is a regulatory state under which the flight is operated.

I think you are referring to the regulatory phrase, "under IFR," which means operating under "instrument flight rules." The regulatory phrase  "IFR conditions" refers to in-flight cloud and visibility requirements. @PT20J referred to the PCG so you can discount it, but FAR 1.1 gives the same regulatory definition, which is used through the FAR.

IFR conditions means weather conditions below the minimum for flight under visual flight rules.

18 hours ago, GeeBee said:

So if you are in VMC conditions and you bust an altitude, it does not count?

IFR is a LEGAL condition.  You must comply with all the rules and regulations related to operating under IFR.

IMC/VMC is a physical condition.  You can be IMC or VMC while IFR but must still comply with IFR rules.

You can only legally be VMC while operating VFR.

9 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

IFR is a LEGAL condition.  You must comply with all the rules and regulations related to operating under IFR.

IMC/VMC is a physical condition.  You can be IMC or VMC while IFR but must still comply with IFR rules.

You can only legally be VMC while operating VFR.

I think I said that earlier.

• Like 1