PIREPs requested on Dynon support

Rocket 305

I have been waiting since Dynon announced the Skyview HDX would be get the STC for Mooneys in 2017 (IIRC). They do have the basic system approved by they have been getting the autopilot approved for the last two years or so. It hasn't been critical so I've been (sort of) patiently waiting.

In the interim, I bought a Dynon D3 portable, which I thought would be nice as a short term add-on. It came, worked for a day at home and then wouldn't work day 2. A call to Dynon tech support and they agreed it had failed. They were to send a replacement "right away"; nearly two weeks later and it never arrived. I replied back to the still open ticket and they said they would get it out that day; it never arrived. A couple more emails, no-reply. Finally they said (for a third time), it would go out that day.

All of this is for a sub-$900 item. I decided to return it and move on. I gave Gulf Coast Avionics, where I bought the unit, the story and they were kind and immediately issued a return authorization, and a note something to the effect that it isn't unusual for Dynon to PIA to deal with.

I can't imagine re-doing my entire panel with a bunch of their equipment which would entire ground my plane for who knows how long if I had a need for a part and this is how they do business.

Was my experience a one-off? Are the MSers who have good experience with Dynon? Should I buy a G3X or G500 instead? It is a LOT more cash but worth it if they support their products in a timely, professional manner.

Any guidance?

There are at least 5 sky views around here…..

And many many D2s and D3….

I don’t recall any issues so no input on their service issues…

Waiting for the AP list to include Mooneys… is a patience builder…

ai think there is one AP that you can buy tomorrow for Mooneys… from Big G…

There are plenty of horror stories for small attitude indicators that haven’t lived up to their promises… around here…

Its important to have confidence in your AIs…. To follow them in IMC…

Get rid of the TC as soon as practical… or at least have a second AI….

PP thoughts only, not a CFII…

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 8:06 PM, Rocket 305 said:

I have been waiting since Dynon announced the Skyview HDX would be get the STC for Mooneys in 2017 (IIRC). They do have the basic system approved by they have been getting the autopilot approved for the last two years or so. It hasn't been critical so I've been (sort of) patiently waiting.

In the interim, I bought a Dynon D3 portable, which I thought would be nice as a short term add-on. It came, worked for a day at home and then wouldn't work day 2. A call to Dynon tech support and they agreed it had failed. They were to send a replacement "right away"; nearly two weeks later and it never arrived. I replied back to the still open ticket and they said they would get it out that day; it never arrived. A couple more emails, no-reply. Finally they said (for a third time), it would go out that day.

All of this is for a sub-$900 item. I decided to return it and move on. I gave Gulf Coast Avionics, where I bought the unit, the story and they were kind and immediately issued a return authorization, and a note something to the effect that it isn't unusual for Dynon to PIA to deal with.

I can't imagine re-doing my entire panel with a bunch of their equipment which would entire ground my plane for who knows how long if I had a need for a part and this is how they do business.

Was my experience a one-off? Are the MSers who have good experience with Dynon? Should I buy a G3X or G500 instead? It is a LOT more cash but worth it if they support their products in a timely, professional manner.

Any guidance?

I'm in the early phase of planning upgrades for the next few years and the HDX setup appears to be very appealing. However customer support is crucial. I'll follow this thread as I'm seeking similar answers yet haven't had a negative experience like you have. 

I've been flying with HDX for about a year and have found the system to be all as advertise.  None of the components have failed so can't speak to their warranty support.  They answer the phone when I call and respond to emails fairly promptly.  The delay in the AP is a bummer for sure but I'm hanging in there.  I think the reality is the AP will not be available until late 2022, despite what their website says.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 8:06 PM, Rocket 305 said:

Any guidance?

If you are going to ask about Dynon support because you’re considering Dynon vs Garmin you should also ask about Garmin support. I’ve read many of complaints how Garmin won’t even talk to you and refers you to a Garmin Service Center or Dealer when you have a problem. So there’s that. I’m not saying one is better than the other just saying do your due diligence. There are Garmin lovers and haters out there. Just as there are Dynon lovers and haters as well. Best advice is to inform yourself with as much information as you can before making your decision.

I’m having a dual Dynon Skyview 10} and 7” system put in my plane as we speak. I’ve called Dynon a few times asking about their D10A replacement as well as the autopilot STC for the Mooneys. I’ve never had an issue with getting someone on the horn. Technical support? Well, let’s hope I don’t have to make that call for a while. But you can be sure that if I have a negative experience, in the future, I’ll be certain to let you guys know about it.