TSIO360 Turbo check valve leaking.

Just had an oil change and turbo inspection. The day prior, I had noticed more oil on the nose gear than usual, so we did a thorough cleaning and leak check. More oil on the nose gear. Uh-oh!
There are two check valves for the turbo (feed and return) that are clamped under the oil sump with P clamps that have a rubber grommet around them. The grommet  on the feed line had worn through on the inside and it was not possible to detect this visually without removing the clamps. I am guessing this has been wearing for a long time and finally chafed a hole in the check valve. Lucky for me it just started leaking noticeably shortly before I booked the turbo inspection for a separate issue.

Anyone have one of these sitting around? Mooney Part number 642211. Dukes part number 1240-00-1.

023BB43D-D266-434B-86B6-28E859A53045.jpeg

I had to have one replaced on my M20K earlier this year. The mechanic ordered it from a parts place down in Alabama. I do not remember what the name of the dealer was, but I do remember the part was ~$1,300.

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I believe @tomgo2 may have spare parts for turbos like that…  (Mooney turbo check valve leaking)

Best regards,

-a-

That’s where I got mine. They aren’t cheap, but not $1300, more like $450. The one I have will get him to TBO if he is looking for a quick fix.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, squeaky.stow said:

I would never have imagined a valve could be worn down like that by a clamp.

Mark

Check the materials of construction…

If that is an aluminum part…

And you used a steel or chromed clamp….. in contact with the part… that surely explains the damage…

If the clamp had a nice rubber contact surface… looks like the rubber got away…

Mooneys have many aluminum lines that are at risk when something harder rubs against them… including nylon wire tires…

Pp thoughts only, not mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you Rich.
I would never have imagined a valve could be worn down like that by a clamp.
I will definitely be clamping to the hose when it goes back in. 

Mark

For TCM installations, TCM requires their own TCM clamps and i recall reading somewhere that standard clamp’s weren’t permitted for this reason - such as a service letter or bulletin or maybe it’s in M-0 now. But the TCM clamps can be ordered via Spruce and i recall yellow in color so as not be mistaken for the common black ones which have been know to cause that kind of damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, kortopates said:

For TCM installations, TCM requires their own TCM clamps and i recall reading somewhere that standard clamp’s weren’t permitted for this reason - such as a service letter or bulletin or maybe it’s in M-0 now. But the TCM clamps can be ordered via Spruce and i recall yellow in color so as not be mistaken for the common black ones which have been know to cause that kind of damage.

Good to know, the M20Turbos STC has no mention of that, even though they are the same valves.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kortopates said:

But the TCM clamps can be ordered via Spruce and i recall yellow in color so as not be mistaken for the common black ones which have been know to cause that kind of damage.

Good to know. Mine were yellow and I presume they have been there since the engine was overhauled. On close inspection it appears they were poorly installed, forcing some of the rubber off the clamp in a critical area. I will have my maintenance guy order the right ones from Spruce.

8 hours ago, kortopates said:

interesting since i didn’t know the M2OTurbos STC used the same check valves - but certainly makes sense. thanks

The turbo system on the M20Turbos is straight off of the 231. The turbo, check valves and scavenger pump are the same along with the fixed wastegate. It is weird putting Continental parts on a Lycoming.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, squeaky.stow said:

Just had an oil change and turbo inspection. The day prior, I had noticed more oil on the nose gear than usual, so we did a thorough cleaning and leak check. More oil on the nose gear. Uh-oh!
There are two check valves for the turbo (feed and return) that are clamped under the oil sump with P clamps that have a rubber grommet around them. The grommet  on the feed line had worn through on the inside and it was not possible to detect this visually without removing the clamps. I am guessing this has been wearing for a long time and finally chafed a hole in the check valve. Lucky for me it just started leaking noticeably shortly before I booked the turbo inspection for a separate issue.

Anyone have one of these sitting around? Mooney Part number 642211. Dukes part number 1240-00-1.

023BB43D-D266-434B-86B6-28E859A53045.jpeg

This is the oil feed side check valve I have. It looks a bit different than yours. Even though it will probably work. This is its worst side.

image.jpg

RAJAY has check valves if needed. There are two different types in stock; the "flapper door" style and the "spring loaded" type. Neither are PMA'd so we can provide specs of each to make your own determination and application. Search for RJ5315 and/or RJ5316.

Tom

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 10:53 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

This is the oil feed side check valve I have. It looks a bit different than yours. Even though it will probably work. This is its worst side.

image.jpg

I am guessing there is no part number visible on it? It certainly looks similar. 

On 10/17/2021 at 1:25 PM, tomgo2 said:

RAJAY has check valves if needed. There are two different types in stock; the "flapper door" style and the "spring loaded" type. Neither are PMA'd so we can provide specs of each to make your own determination and application. Search for RJ5315 and/or RJ5316.

Tom

Thanks Tom, 

I will pass this info on to my maintenance provider. 

• 11 months later...
On 10/16/2021 at 4:47 PM, hubcap said:

I had to have one replaced on my M20K earlier this year. The mechanic ordered it from a parts place down in Alabama. I do not remember what the name of the dealer was, but I do remember the part was ~$1,300.

Might have been directly from Continental.  Was this CSB the reason for the replacement?

http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/CSB95-1A.pdf

On 10/16/2021 at 1:03 PM, squeaky.stow said:

That's a TCM part number not Mooney.

https://www.airpowerinc.com/642211

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/continentalnewvalves_07-06967.php

At those prices I would definitely be buying from @tomgo2

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2021 at 7:37 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I have one that’s in better shape than that one. I replaced both when I rebuilt my engine.

Ill be at the hangar tomorrow and will send you a pic.

Do you still have your check valves?

John Breda