Avionics Panel Upgrade S/FL

WAFI

Starting to put together a plan for a new panel & new electronics... I have now quoted multi shops and was wondering what everyone would consider a fair price?

**and I mean the first number that comes to your head-- 

Don't blast me with all the variables. 

Note: The Garmin 430W, Stratus, A/P, ELT, AI are all from my old panel. 

Yes, I'm keep the AI and vacuum system for now because of my Century II Autopilot.

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 1.40.39 PM.png

It’s been 10hours and a different day….

Nobody blasted any details…

Looks like asking a question that requires a ton of details to get to a viable answer…  then ignoring the details…

Is a set up for a really empty conversation…. :)

Basic fancy panels can easily get to the 50amu mark…

Super fancy panels fully integrated with mostly Big G boxes can easily get to 80amu…

If you have a budget… like 30amu…. You might get people to fill in some details you may be interested in…

Wording the question carefully seams to be a requirement…

To get people to discuss how much dough they spent on color screens in an open air environment… is a tough sell…

Are you going to share your quotes as they come in?

What is the cost of each box you have listed?

PP thoughts only…

Best regards,

-a-

I agree totally with what you're saying. I knew I might lose some people when I said, "Don't blast me with all the variables." LOL!! I should have worded it something like-    

1. What does this panel look like in terms of dollar bills? 

A. 30K

B. 50K

C. 75K

D. 100K

Yes, I am going to fully resort this plane from the ground up. Paint, Interior, Engine, Avionics, Etc... I will post, document and share throughout the progression and not just photos. Cost break down and why I chose certain things as well. I will post quotes as soon as I sign contract with whom I going with. 

Thanks for the reply "carusoam"

• Like 1

There is no practical way to put a figure on this without great detail. What does the panel look like now? How much old wiring needs to come out? Will it include weighing the plane after? Is there any trade value for removed components? 

I don't quote anything without having seen it in person. Otherwise, the quote will be from $25K, with additional charges as each day concludes. Up to a maximum of $50K.

The "variables" are exactly what you need a tight grip on to estimate the final costs within $1k.

Edited by philiplane

On 10/20/2021 at 7:28 AM, PilotX said:

A more important question is why would you keep a Century II and will it work with the panel you are trying to build? The AMUs are the limit.

Well I want to upgrade the Autopilot eventually but just not at the moment. The Century II works just fine right now. 

On 10/19/2021 at 9:45 AM, philiplane said:

There is no practical way to put a figure on this without great detail. What does the panel look like now? How much old wiring needs to come out? Will it include weighing the plane after? Is there any trade value for removed components? 

I don't quote anything without having seen it in person. Otherwise, the quote will be from $25K, with additional charges as each day concludes. Up to a maximum of $50K.

The "variables" are exactly what you need a tight grip on to estimate the final costs within $1k.

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 11.43.26 AM.pdf

On 10/17/2021 at 9:17 AM, BumpyAcorn said:

I agree totally with what you're saying. I knew I might lose some people when I said, "Don't blast me with all the variables." LOL!! I should have worded it something like-    

1. What does this panel look like in terms of dollar bills? 

A. 30K

B. 50K

C. 75K

D. 100K

Based on what I can pick out (g3x, g5, JPI, USBs, new panel cut, re-installing and making all the old stuff work...B. 50k...probably easily depending on what I'm missing/

edit...just saw the audio panel, garmin comm...yeah, I'd say 50k easily...plus whatever they uncover that can't be estimated

18 hours ago, Kris_Adams said:

Based on what I can pick out (g3x, g5, JPI, USBs, new panel cut, re-installing and making all the old stuff work...B. 50k...probably easily depending on what I'm missing/

edit...just saw the audio panel, garmin comm...yeah, I'd say 50k easily...plus whatever they uncover that can't be estimated

Thats the kind of answer my looking for, so far the quote is at 40K installed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Suggestion.....you may want the JPI where you have the G5.  The JPI will be much easier to read at eye level.  The fonts on the face are small and you will be looking at that screen a heck of a lot more than the G5.  Just reverse the two.  I have the JPI 900 myself.  It is a great product....however I did it years ago and being that you are spending all that money on the panel I would just do the Garmin engine monitor system as well.  It may not be that much difference...

Good luck