Seattle - looking into buying a Mooney, but I've never flown in one

Hi Mooney folks,

I'm thinking about buying a Mooney, but I've never flown in one. I'm a fairly new pilot (PPL), and have about 160 hours. I trained at Galvin Flying, at KBFI, and I rent Cessna 172SPs usually. 

Would someone in the Seattle area be willing to take me along for a ride in your Mooney? I'll pay for gas. I want to get a feel for one, before making a big decision like buying and training in one. Galvin had one until last year, and then the owner sold it. I sadly never got to fly it.

So far, I've only flown Cessna 152 and 172. I've always been interested in Mooneys, and have lurked this site quite a bit in the past. I've also spent countless hours on Controller and Trade-a-Plane, and I always come back to Mooneys. 

I've thought about starting with a Cessna 182 or R182 RG also, but most of the flying my wife and I will want to do, are cross-country trips. (For example, escaping Seattle in the winter, trips to CA, NV, AZ)

A late 70's to 90's M20J seems like a great cross country setup, and a solid platform to get my IFR. I've heard parts aren't as hard to find as people say, and there are some good Mooney shops on the west coast. 

If you are interested, DM me, or reply here. 

Thanks,

-Mark

I have a J, and was just in the Spokane/Coeur d Alene area. Plane is down in texas getting an interior at the moment.  But, when it returns I’ll be doing some flying.  If you can ever get to the Spokane area, happy to take you along.  I’ve owned a 182, and been in two clubs with a 172. Also have owned a cherokee 180 and and sr22.  Happy to help answer any questions.  

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 11:54 PM, mooney_mark_88 said:

Awesome, 
I’m in Spokane pretty often, I have family there. 
Im really torn between a 182 and M20J. 

When the weather is a bit better this next spring or summer I’ll get ahold of you. 

Thanks!

-Mark

I’ve had a 182, and now a Mooney.  Happy to discuss pros and cons if you’d like.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm thinking a R182 RG might fit my mission pretty well. I like the Lycoming and autopilot options with them, etc. I'm expecting my insurance to be pretty brutal the first couple of years with the RG, but I'm a lot more used to Cessnas up until now. 

My budget will probably be $150 - $200k or so. I do like the idea of going camping at Johnson Creek or other grass/mountain strips.

I'll also be doing a lot of flights to Montana over mountains, my parents live in Missoula. 

Hey Mark, I was in your shoes about this time last year. I had about the same number of hours at the time; most in tailwheel though, with a little in 172 & 182 aircraft. I ended up buying a J from another MSer in Feb. It was out of annual, and needed a little work, but otherwise was well loved and well cared for by it’s previous owner. Been a great plane for me so far.

I was fortunate at the time that my club also had a M20J. So I when the opportunity to buy my J came up, I was able to quickly get checked out in the club’s M20J, get familiar with the type, and the complex endorsement all while coordinating the prebuy & other stuff.

Happy to take you for a ride if you find yourself around California (KLVK).  

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 3:19 PM, mooney_mark_88 said:

Yeah, I'm thinking a R182 RG might fit my mission pretty well. I like the Lycoming and autopilot options with them, etc. I'm expecting my insurance to be pretty brutal the first couple of years with the RG, but I'm a lot more used to Cessnas up until now. 

My budget will probably be $150 - $200k or so. I do like the idea of going camping at Johnson Creek or other grass/mountain strips.

I'll also be doing a lot of flights to Montana over mountains, my parents live in Missoula. 

Only cessna I’d trade my J for would be a turbo 210… don’t really care for a carb engine, like the one in a 182 RG.  Be wary or certain years of cessna gear.  It’s kind of a night mare.  If light backcountry is in the works, I’d just buy a 182 fixed gear. 
Owned multiple Cessnas, they are fine airplanes, but I’d rather fly my mooney any day.  
what autopilot are you interested in putting in a cessna that you can’t put in a Mooney? The standard best bang for the buck by a mile is the GFC500, and it’s fully supposed in a mooney, including yaw axis.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2021 at 4:53 PM, bmcconnaha said:

Only cessna I’d trade my J for would be a turbo 210… don’t really care for a carb engine, like the one in a 182 RG.  Be wary or certain years of cessna gear.  It’s kind of a night mare.  If light backcountry is in the works, I’d just buy a 182 fixed gear. 
Owned multiple Cessnas, they are fine airplanes, but I’d rather fly my mooney any day.  
what autopilot are you interested in putting in a cessna that you can’t put in a Mooney? The standard best bang for the buck by a mile is the GFC500, and it’s fully supposed in a mooney, including yaw axis.  

Good points. My main mission will be flying to paved airports (99% of the time). I want a good IFR platform to get my instrument rating, speed, fuel efficiency, and good long-hauler. I was slightly interested in the 182RG because it goes faster than all the fixed-gear Cessnas. I always come back to Mooney though. I think an M20 C through J would be the only ones I could get insurance for, having only about 160 hours under my belt, so the turbo or other high-performance Mooneys are probably out of my reach right now. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 8:51 PM, sleeper-319 said:

Hey Mark, I was in your shoes about this time last year. I had about the same number of hours at the time; most in tailwheel though, with a little in 172 & 182 aircraft. I ended up buying a J from another MSer in Feb. It was out of annual, and needed a little work, but otherwise was well loved and well cared for by it’s previous owner. Been a great plane for me so far.

I was fortunate at the time that my club also had a M20J. So I when the opportunity to buy my J came up, I was able to quickly get checked out in the club’s M20J, get familiar with the type, and the complex endorsement all while coordinating the prebuy & other stuff.

Happy to take you for a ride if you find yourself around California (KLVK).  

Thank you! I wish my flying club still had their Mooney.

Congrats on getting a J! I think that's what I'm going for. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it has been mentioned but-

Just because one has TKS leading edges that does not make the airplane FIKI by any means. 

One can add TKS only for anti-icing but one still needs all the other stuff and a certification to be FIKI  (Flight Into Known Ice)

FIKI is a certification approval