Updating the yokes

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

That covers the shafts, but I'm wondering about yokes?    There are several factory retrofit kits that I'm guessing get cited, but I'm still wondering whether they require a 337:

I'll find the log entry from when I replaced the shafts and the control wheels and post it tomorrow.

• Like 1

"Replaced control wheels, shafts and yoke control tube assemblies with PN LH Control Wheel Shaft - 710064-509, RH Control Wheel Shaft - 710064-510. Yoke Assembly - 710065-503, Control Tube Assembly - (2x) - 710083-501. Verified no binding or rubbing on any pieces throughout full range of motion. Wired push-to-talk switches on both control wheels and verified proper operation."

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

"Replaced control wheels, shafts and yoke control tube assemblies with PN LH Control Wheel Shaft - 710064-509, RH Control Wheel Shaft - 710064-510. Yoke Assembly - 710065-503, Control Tube Assembly - (2x) - 710083-501. Verified no binding or rubbing on any pieces throughout full range of motion. Wired push-to-talk switches on both control wheels and verified proper operation."

Anyone know the cost of the shafts from Mooney? I have a message into Dan at Lasar.

On 10/16/2021 at 1:44 PM, Bob R said:

Anyone know the cost of the shafts from Mooney? I have a message into Dan at Lasar.

Just received a price from Top Gun in Stockton, Ca. Right around $850 or so each. If not in stock, lead time is 6-12 weeks.

• 1 month later...

I have a set of newer style (201) control wheels that came with shafts that have same geometry (apart from mounting holes for the control wheel) as originals on my '67F. I believe these should fit with no other parts replaced like Yoke assy p/n 710006.

Visible P/N of the shafts are 710072-901/902 but I am not sure what the Shaft assy would be. Multiple emails to Mooney asking about next higher assy (p/n710072-5xx) were unanswered.

Does anyone have available Mooney Drawing describing the new Control wheel installation? I would love to have a scan or photos but just a title block with basic p/ns would do. I see @Skates97 posted a partial picture in one of his older posts but perhaps someone have a better copy.

I am looking to install these on a next annual and would like to get all the necessary paperwork for my IA as well as send the wheels to Hector for leather treatment.

Thank you.

IMG_5672.thumb.jpg.38fd193d6d7ed71414fea710dba5b13c.jpg

.IMG_5669.thumb.jpg.46f7c0cea4838bac0a3799598685fb72.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bringing up an old post for clarification! We are coming due for this 500 hour inspection on our 67E. 

Our intention is to do the inspection and reassemble, barring any cracks! Best case scenario. However, if the inspection turns up cracks or wear I am reading in the SB that a 1967 year is not eligible for a repair. Therefore, a new direct replacement is necessary. I seen above that Top Gun Aviation is a potential source, are there any others? Laser? Assuming that we don't upgrade to a different part number from a newer model. 

From reading the AD I understand that replacing the old shaft with new will permit a new inspection time of 1000 hours, recurring.

Does anyone have anymore input on this? 

Edited by ArrowBerry

19 minutes ago, ArrowBerry said:

Bringing up an old post for clarification! We are coming due for this 500 hour inspection on our 67E. 

Our intention is to do the inspection and reassemble, barring any cracks! Best case scenario. However, if the inspection turns up cracks or wear I am reading in the SB that a 1967 year is not eligible for a repair. Therefore, a new direct replacement is necessary. I seen above that Top Gun Aviation is a potential source, are there any others? Laser? Assuming that we don't upgrade to a different part number from a newer model. 

From reading the AD I understand that replacing the old shaft with new will permit a new inspection time of 1000 hours, recurring.

Does anyone have anymore input on this? 

Replacing the old yokes with the newer version will permanently comply with the AD. I did mine about a year ago. Lasar had one and ordered the other which took about 4 months as it had to be manufactured by Mooney. I hear they are currently not available to be ordered. BTW, Top Gun did not have them as well.

47 minutes ago, Bob R said:

Replacing the old yokes with the newer version will permanently comply with the AD. I did mine about a year ago. Lasar had one and ordered the other which took about 4 months as it had to be manufactured by Mooney. I hear they are currently not available to be ordered. BTW, Top Gun did not have them as well.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully ours are not cracked then, but if we run into trouble I will get in touch with Lasar.