Inexpensive aircraft upgrades / hacks

goalstop

Alpha Aviation for seatbelts/shoulder harnesses.  Give them a call, it’s a family business and they actually answer the phone themselves.

If you have Johnson Bar landing gear, you’ll definitely want the inertial reel and push button release.  If you have electric gear, anything will do well.

https://alphaaviation.com/mooney-m20-front-fixed-strap-replacement-lift-lever/

• Like 1

+1 on the shoulder harness and CO detector (I have a portable Sensorcon I just velcro to the center console).

Consider a Stratux ADS-B receiver if you don't have one already.  cheap and massive improvement in SA.  

Also, consider a window air scoop.  Does wonders on warm days on the ground.

On the off chance you have an old EDM-700 engine monitor, you can often catch sales from JPI for the EDM-730 upgrade (about $1300 with trivial installation).  The bigger and better display is great, assuming you don't want to spend the extra money on a EDM-900

5 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

+1 on the shoulder harness and CO detector (I have a portable Sensorcon I just velcro to the center console).

Consider a Stratux ADS-B receiver if you don't have one already.  cheap and massive improvement in SA.  

Also, consider a window air scoop.  Does wonders on warm days on the ground.

On the off chance you have an old EDM-700 engine monitor, you can often catch sales from JPI for the EDM-730 upgrade (about $1300 with trivial installation).  The bigger and better display is great, assuming you don't want to spend the extra money on a EDM-900

Stratux was ordered yesterday! Good callout.  Adding backup AI/HSI, weather, and traffic for just $300. Amazing

The JPI900 is actually getting put in right now, so that's a check off the list!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Alpha Aviation for seatbelts/shoulder harnesses.  Give them a call, it’s a family business and they actually answer the phone themselves.

If you have Johnson Bar landing gear, you’ll definitely want the inertial reel and push button release.  If you have electric gear, anything will do well.

Or call Hooker Harness and get essentially the same thing for less.  Instead of $455 for each seat, mine were $417 for both seats after shipping.  Full disclosure, they did have a price increase this year, so I have no idea how much they are now, but they will be significantly less than the Alpha belts.   None of the Mooney stuff is listed on their website, but they make it.  You just have to call.

https://www.hookerharness.com/contact.html

A couple other things for when you call them:  If you want the inertia reel, ask for it.  I didn't know that was on option but they have them (was $175 adder).  On the passenger side I think it would be a pain in the butt getting people in and out of the back, but it makes sense on the pilot side so you can reach your fuel selector without loosening your shoulder strap.  If you go with the manual ones that you pull tight, ask for pull tabs.  Their only $5 more and make adjusting much easier.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

Did you just replace the old torpedo bulbs with those?  None of the one's I tried would push the light out sideways, but these look like just the right solution.

These worked just fine.  My only complaint is that there isn't much difference between bright and dim.  These are more like "very bright" and "very slightly less very bright"  Mine is a 1984 M20J so your mileage may vary.

8 minutes ago, MisfitSELF said:

I see a lot of folks recommending CO detectors but what do you gain versus the $5 "black spot" one you replace every year?

The digital readout on the CO detector will tell you when something begins to change, and can be used to track down a leak.

Have you heard @DanM20C's story about CO? He had inflight problems, diagnosed in the hospital after his crash. I heard him live, he later made an AOPA Safety Foundation video. It will be worth your time to find and watch it.

He also arranged a discount for the Sensorcon CO detector, which is better than their Periodic sales. Every year they renew the discount.

Hey Dan, how many Sensorcons have been sold with your discount code? Last I heard was several thousand. Including mine.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Spend the extra money for the inertial reel belts. It is a one time purchase and over the life of the plane a drop in the bucket. I put them in my plane and never really thought much about the benefit of the inertial reels until I flew a plane without them where you have to adjust the tightness of the shoulder belt.

Here is Dan's video, it is worth the full 42 minutes of your time.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, McMooney said:

Cricut Maker Machine, Champagne - Walmart.com get this, all the stickers and overlays you could ever want.

give it to your wife as a gift, she'll be so happy she'll make the stickers for you

^^^^ This

I got one for my wife to use in her quilting hobby but the only things "we" have made so far are these. The last one was my attempt to make a new annunciator legend overlay but the result was not usable. I think it would work with larger fonts for other panel legends but haven't got around to experimenting.

Cheers,
Rick

IMG_2528.thumb.jpeg.f6c0f7810da85993628c5643c159879b.jpeg63839799589__DE751F2E-5066-450D-94E4-BA44A16777D2.thumb.jpeg.a259cf141a9634140a0fc3459c579d28.jpegIMG_2997.thumb.jpeg.d9acaaecde7176a9cacce97923f6d76c.jpegIMG_2843.thumb.jpeg.3f57522282bd6ca84f31181908c18e32.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

Or call Hooker Harness and get essentially the same thing for less.  Instead of $455 for each seat, mine were $417 for both seats after shipping.  Full disclosure, they did have a price increase this year, so I have no idea how much they are now, but they will be significantly less than the Alpha belts.   None of the Mooney stuff is listed on their website, but they make it.  You just have to call.

https://www.hookerharness.com/contact.html

A couple other things for when you call them:  If you want the inertia reel, ask for it.  I didn't know that was on option but they have them (was $175 adder).  On the passenger side I think it would be a pain in the butt getting people in and out of the back, but it makes sense on the pilot side so you can reach your fuel selector without loosening your shoulder strap.  If you go with the manual ones that you pull tight, ask for pull tabs.  Their only $5 more and make adjusting much easier.

GEEZ!  Whose bright idea was it to come up with THAT name for a business??? :unsure:

20 hours ago, Junkman said:

The last one was my attempt to make a new annunciator legend overlay but the result was not usable.

My previous mechanic removed my annunciator fascia and delivered it to a local engraver who produced a beautiful result. I assume he cut a measured rectangular piece of black aluminium that he gave to the engraver who used the old fascia as a template. Two obsolete (Hi & Lo Vac) and another that I can't remember were not duplicated and substituted by Stby Alt and Speed Brk. It still looks new. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Junkman said:

^^^^ This

I got one for my wife to use in her quilting hobby but the only things "we" have made so far are these. The last one was my attempt to make a new annunciator legend overlay but the result was not usable. I think it would work with larger fonts for other panel legends but haven't got around to experimenting.

Cheers,
Rick

How is that CH2000, I've never flown on of those?

On 10/15/2021 at 10:38 AM, MisfitSELF said:

I see a lot of folks recommending CO detectors but what do you gain versus the $5 "black spot" one you replace every year?

One works, and the other looks like you tried to keep somebody happy…

Chemical spot detectors….

1) Get stale without telling anyone…

2) Turn colors in flight without notifying the pilot…

3) by the time you are getting killed by CO, logic has gone out the window… last thing you won’t bother to do is try to remember the CO dot that saved you a few bux…

4) CO is dangerous… but, with a decent sensor and alarm… you can get a heads up before you are head down…

Its been a few years since Dan has been caught sleeping while flying… 

Since then… MSers have been adopting CO monitors, and many have found warnings of exhaust system failures, or missing cockpit seals…

Nothing like finding an exhaust system failure before it turns into a cutting torch under the cowling…

Exhaust failures are quirky… they can start off mild… and turn deadly as an exhaust crack opens in minutes…

PP 101 training on this topic is highly glossed over… it gets mentioned, but not taken seriously enough…

There are two types of exhaust system failures…

1) Land now because you have a fire up front…

2) Land when you run out of fuel at whatever speed you are trimmed for… due to lack of consciousness…

Also keep in mind…  it takes hours to get rid of the accumulated CO…  it sticks to the red blood cells occupying the space needed to carry O2….  Opening the vents and window and shutting off the heat doesn’t fix things very quickly…

Briefly…. Please select a decent CO monitor… and spread the word… :)

PP thoughts only, running out of O2 is a drag…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 6:13 PM, McMooney said:

Cricut Maker Machine, Champagne - Walmart.com get this, all the stickers and overlays you could ever want.

give it to your wife as a gift, she'll be so happy she'll make the stickers for you

I used my wife's cricket to make a mask for a reverse mirror project.  I think it came out pretty damn good.  

PXL_20210924_212918936.jpg

PXL_20210925_140647446.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/14/2021 at 10:57 AM, skydvrboy said:

@A64Pilot has given you some very good advice, but in the spirit of answering your question, I'll throw out a couple.

First, get a good CO monitor.  It may be the difference between life and death.  I would recommend the basic sensorcon unit linked below.  Use discount code: Aircraft2021 and get 20% off.  No need to get anything higher than the basic model (I got the top end and the only features I use are the ones included with the basic model).
https://www.sensorcon.com/products/av8-inspector-co-av8-co-01-carbon-monoxide-monitor-for-aviation?variant=39342748237894

As for your grips, just get regular bicycle grips.  I have yet to touch any yoke that is more comfortable at any price.  The black ones show less dirt over the years.  Use Amazon smile and forward your donation to Mooney Summit Inc (or a charity of your choice).
https://smile.amazon.com/BV-Handlebar-Bicycle-Cycling-Handle/dp/B06XCFGXHV/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=bike+handlebar+tape&qid=1634222518&sr=8-2

I know it's super cheap and seems silly, but you want a pen or pencil handy when flying.  I found one of these works perfectly.
https://smile.amazon.com/Pen-Pal-Holders-Adhesive-Removeable/dp/B01M046PID/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rubber+pen+holder&qid=1634222749&sr=8-3

I also added cup holders which come in handy.  But I just don't use them nearly as often as I thought I would.  I typically only fly with drinks in plastic bottles with lids. YMMV.
https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-44044-Adjustable-Drink-Holder/dp/B000EDQR4G/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=foldable+cup+holder&qid=1634223039&sr=8-3

Finally, just a note on the LED lights.  They may not be as "plug and play" as you'd like.  LED's are polarity sensitive and I found a few of my original lights were wired in with reverse polarity, so LED lights don't function in those.  The good news is, after replacing the ones I could, I have plenty of spare incandescent bulbs to replace those as they burn out.  Also, the overhead torpedo lights don't function well at all with LED lights.

Thanks new 66 M20E owner just ordered the C02 detector!

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 1:30 AM, Andy95W said:

FWIW, I have the fixed shoulder harness without the inertial reel and have never noticed an issue with working the J-bar - I don't need to lean forward to use it, and the harness keeping my upper body fixed actually provides nice stability while yanking the thing back.

It does need to be unclipped for me to change tanks and to reach across to close the door prior to takeoff on a hot day, so the intertial reel might provide a bit of benefit there.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 2:52 PM, Mooney Dog said:

New labels for switches

Clear the interior. I used a green machine for mine and it made it smell a whole lot nicer.

Bose A20 headsets for bluetooth.

Keeping a roll of shop towels and glass cleaner in the back.

AND 2 ropes/cords for tie downs at airports. Many airports dont have ropes. 

But not “glass” cleaner, right? ;) And microfiber too.  Don’t want your own cleaning to be the reason you can’t see!

Novus 1 plexi is cheap on Amazon, works well.  You’ll need a spray bottle.  Or get plexus.

Edited by Ragsf15e

On 10/16/2021 at 5:59 AM, Mooney in Oz said:

My previous mechanic removed my annunciator fascia and delivered it to a local engraver who produced a beautiful result. I assume he cut a measured rectangular piece of black aluminium that he gave to the engraver who used the old fascia as a template. Two obsolete (Hi & Lo Vac) and another that I can't remember were not duplicated and substituted by Stby Alt and Speed Brk. It still looks new. 

Those kind of craftsmen are getting harder and harder to find…