Inexpensive aircraft upgrades / hacks

goalstop

Having just bought a 'new' 1964 M20E, I'm looking for the little hacks I can invest in to upgrade the plane without having to shell out for massive expenses -- things I can do myself or with very light supervision to upgrade the look, feel, and flying experience.  What are all of your favorite hacks / minor upgrades?  I'll start with a list I'm considering:

1) Leather yoke upgrade with bike handlebar wraps ($150 per yoke - real leather, non-adhesive)

2) Airtex carpets (~$400 for new carpets)

3) Simple plug-and-play LED lighting ($120 per bulb)

What else?

What you posted can be done for far less.

In my opinion unless you bought a very unusual airplane but buying a good buffer and learning how to use it and buffing and polishing is your best return on your money, largely due to sweat equity.

‘My advice is do nothing beyond cosmetic things, fly it for a year and I bet lunch you’ll find out that most of the “must have” upgrades you will read about you can do without and really won’t miss them.

Take that money and start building a fund to cover unexpected expenses, these airplanes are old and often require more attention than say a three yr old car 

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 8

@A64Pilot has given you some very good advice, but in the spirit of answering your question, I'll throw out a couple.

First, get a good CO monitor.  It may be the difference between life and death.  I would recommend the basic sensorcon unit linked below.  Use discount code: Aircraft2021 and get 20% off.  No need to get anything higher than the basic model (I got the top end and the only features I use are the ones included with the basic model).
https://www.sensorcon.com/products/av8-inspector-co-av8-co-01-carbon-monoxide-monitor-for-aviation?variant=39342748237894

As for your grips, just get regular bicycle grips.  I have yet to touch any yoke that is more comfortable at any price.  The black ones show less dirt over the years.  Use Amazon smile and forward your donation to Mooney Summit Inc (or a charity of your choice).
https://smile.amazon.com/BV-Handlebar-Bicycle-Cycling-Handle/dp/B06XCFGXHV/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=bike+handlebar+tape&qid=1634222518&sr=8-2

I know it's super cheap and seems silly, but you want a pen or pencil handy when flying.  I found one of these works perfectly.
https://smile.amazon.com/Pen-Pal-Holders-Adhesive-Removeable/dp/B01M046PID/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rubber+pen+holder&qid=1634222749&sr=8-3

I also added cup holders which come in handy.  But I just don't use them nearly as often as I thought I would.  I typically only fly with drinks in plastic bottles with lids. YMMV.
https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-44044-Adjustable-Drink-Holder/dp/B000EDQR4G/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=foldable+cup+holder&qid=1634223039&sr=8-3

Finally, just a note on the LED lights.  They may not be as "plug and play" as you'd like.  LED's are polarity sensitive and I found a few of my original lights were wired in with reverse polarity, so LED lights don't function in those.  The good news is, after replacing the ones I could, I have plenty of spare incandescent bulbs to replace those as they burn out.  Also, the overhead torpedo lights don't function well at all with LED lights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

@A64Pilot has given you some very good advice, but in the spirit of answering your question, I'll throw out a couple.

First, get a good CO monitor.  It may be the difference between life and death.  I would recommend the basic sensorcon unit linked below.  Use discount code: Aircraft2021 and get 20% off.  No need to get anything higher than the basic model (I got the top end and the only features I use are the ones included with the basic model).
https://www.sensorcon.com/products/av8-inspector-co-av8-co-01-carbon-monoxide-monitor-for-aviation?variant=39342748237894

As for your grips, just get regular bicycle grips.  I have yet to touch any yoke that is more comfortable at any price.  The black ones show less dirt over the years.  Use Amazon smile and forward your donation to Mooney Summit Inc (or a charity of your choice).
https://smile.amazon.com/BV-Handlebar-Bicycle-Cycling-Handle/dp/B06XCFGXHV/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=bike+handlebar+tape&qid=1634222518&sr=8-2

I know it's super cheap and seems silly, but you want a pen or pencil handy when flying.  I found one of these works perfectly.
https://smile.amazon.com/Pen-Pal-Holders-Adhesive-Removeable/dp/B01M046PID/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rubber+pen+holder&qid=1634222749&sr=8-3

I also added cup holders which come in handy.  But I just don't use them nearly as often as I thought I would.  I typically only fly with drinks in plastic bottles with lids. YMMV.
https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-44044-Adjustable-Drink-Holder/dp/B000EDQR4G/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=foldable+cup+holder&qid=1634223039&sr=8-3

Finally, just a note on the LED lights.  They may not be as "plug and play" as you'd like.  LED's are polarity sensitive and I found a few of my original lights were wired in with reverse polarity, so LED lights don't function in those.  The good news is, after replacing the ones I could, I have plenty of spare incandescent bulbs to replace those as they burn out.  Also, the overhead torpedo lights don't function well at all with LED lights.

Amazing insights! On the grips - I just love the feel of leather.  I may do a bison leather one though so it's a bit thinner - and do a cork backing behind it

Love the pen holder idea - ordered!

Cup holder - where do you put it?

LED lights -- ooh good point.  Although the overhead lights are already really nice red LEDs so clearly they must work :) 

10 minutes ago, Culver LFA said:

Avidyne

For the money spent it was the best value of anything I’ve purchased for the Mooney.  And in airplane economics, compared to that thing out front that eats lifters, makes noise and burns gas, I’d say it’s a pretty reasonable upgrade

GPS or PFD?

I stuck this dimmable USB LED under my glare shield. Trim length of light to fit glareshield. Mount the switch on top of glare shield with sticky foam. Run USB connector end under back of glare shield, connect to the USB splitter on your 12V outlet.  It's perfect!

$11.99 plus cost of a USB extender cable to plug it in and 15min of effort.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08X1G8VSZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61hq8RGqkaS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by DXB
  • Like 2

I put these in my overhead lights.  Worked great.

Amazon.com: Shuyee Super Bright BA9S LED Car Bulbs, BA9 53 57 1895 64111 LED Lamp for Instrument Cluster Door Courtesy Map License Plate Light on RV Camper Trailer, Pack of 10 : Automotive

Here's a couple of others that cost a bit more and require some paperwork + log book enteries.  But are still pretty cheap by aircraft standards.

For ~$800 (parts and labor) I got a USB Clock installed:
MID-CONTINENT CHRONOS DIGITAL CLOCK / HIGH POWER DUAL USB-A CHARGER 30W/6A OUT 6420093-2 | Aircraft Spruce

For ~$300 (my labor, supervised - of course) I installed a push to start button:
ELECTROAIR EA-15000 IGNITION SWITCH PANELS - STC | Aircraft Spruce

Oh, and get a label maker.  It will pay for itself when ever you need to refresh or make placards.
Amazon.com : Brother P-touch Label Maker, PC-Connectable Labeler, PTD600, Color Display, High-Resolution PC Printing, Black, Black/gray : Office Products

All good ideas listed above, especially the CO2 detector. With winter on the way, if you live where it drops below 40 deg you will want a way to warm the oil.  If you don't have installed pre-heater, one of these and a couple of blankets work for me. https://www.amazon.com/Twin-Hornet-22-Airplane-Engine-Pre-Heater/dp/B00F8MCWDI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

• Like 1

New labels for switches

Clear the interior. I used a green machine for mine and it made it smell a whole lot nicer.

Bose A20 headsets for bluetooth.

Keeping a roll of shop towels and glass cleaner in the back.

AND 2 ropes/cords for tie downs at airports. Many airports dont have ropes. 

7 hours ago, goalstop said:

Cup holder - where do you put it?

I put it against the center console on the passenger side.  It's easy to reach and out of the way.  I only use it on solo flights, and I'm the oddball around here who has passengers on almost all my flights that aren't training in nature.

I also did the window tint and seat belts and would highly recommend both.

Edited by skydvrboy

Rosen sun visors

CO detector

Cigarette lighter plug with voltage and USB ports

Scan all of your log books

How old are your gear pucks? Start buying one or two at a time.

Ratcheting screwdriver

Cordless air pump

Lightweight chocks

Booster cushion for vertically challenged loved ones and friends

Powered tug (sidewinder, you’ll love it)

Battery powered fan

Portable O2 system

Good microfiber towels for washing the plane.

Fuel handle stick, I’d you are not limber or skinny.

Learn how do change the oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The best cheap upgrade I had done so far was paying an avionics shop 100 bucks to add an aux input to my old king audio panel.  Garmin usb charger was pretty affordable as well maybe 375 all in.  The absolute cheapest upgrade was some cleaning products that I used to scrub the interior down after I bought it.  Also I have a spot shampooer I used to clean the carpets.  The plane looked a lot better after a good cleaning.  

• Like 2