Mooney Type Certificate for Sale?

Kevin Harberg

I recently discovered the passing of a great aviation AND Mooney enthusast, Fred Quarles. Fred Quarles purchased the M-18 type certificate and made the plane available to the public in the form of a homebuilt in the 1970's (Mooney Mite M-18X). It appears that the type certificate is available for sale by daughter Ellen Michelle Quarles via a post in the Mooney Mite Owners Forum of MooneySpace.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kevin Harberg said:

I recently discovered the passing of a great aviation AND Mooney enthusast, Fred Quarles. Fred Quarles purchased the M-18 type certificate and made the plane available to the public in the form of a homebuilt in the 1970's (Mooney Mite M-18X). It appears that the type certificate is available for sale by daughter Ellen Michelle Quarles via a post in the Mooney Mite Owners Forum of MooneySpace.

Looks like the kind of thing @M20Doc would be interested in. 

1 hour ago, Kevin Harberg said:

I was thinking that manufacturing and production rights followed the type certificate holder. Type certification is a costly venture.

The problem with owning a TC is that without a Production Certificate what you can do with it is limited, you may have the rights, but lack the capability.

• Like 2

What is the deal with a type certificate? Does it belong to an entity or does it just exist. 

It seems like it is kind of worthless unless you have the drawings for all the parts in the airplane. You would need to get PMA for all the parts and a production certificate for the plane if you wanted to make more. A lot less work than starting from scratch, but still a lot of work.

personally, I would give it to a company like Univar in Colorado. They are most likely to do something constructive with it.

I believe that if you have the type Certificate you can build new aircraft that meet the requirements set out in it.  If you do not have the production Certificate then you have to get each aircraft bought off by the FAA.   This is the route most manufacturers take as they develop their production line.  Once they get a line setup and get the qa in place along with supplier qualifications and oversight then you can apply for the production Certificate.   The production Certificate simply allows you to certify your aircraft on your own with occasional inspections by the FAA.   If you are only building a few aircraft then there is no requirement to ever get a production Certificate. 

Please correct me if I am wrong. 

Mark 

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

What is the deal with a type certificate? Does it belong to an entity or does it just exist. 

It seems like it is kind of worthless unless you have the drawings for all the parts in the airplane. You would need to get PMA for all the parts and a production certificate for the plane if you wanted to make more. A lot less work than starting from scratch, but still a lot of work.

personally, I would give it to a company like Univar in Colorado. They are most likely to do something constructive with it.

Fred Quarles had purchased the type certificate along with 1600 sq ft of Mooney factory type certificated drawings and provided 324 pages of prints complete with a list of approximately 4000 parts. Fred provided an assembly manual c/w drawings to assist homebuilders in completing his M-18X aircraft. Of interest was his intent to produce a certified Mite utilizing updated tooling techniques and the installation of a 100hp 0-200 powerplant. Now, some 40+ years later, the turbo charged powerplants produced by Rotax would be an ideal fit for the 25,000ft wing.

Although thoroughly enjoying ownership of an M-18X, I'm still dreaming of the potential of this incredible design.

Kevin  

Edited by Kevin Harberg
Spelling "thoroughly"
  • Like 1