New Mooney owners here

eyes_skyward

Greetings, Mooniacs!

As of today we are the proud owners of a very-well-taken-care-of J, and we even have the Mooney baseball hats for the whole family to prove it. I wanted to thank many of you for all of the indirect help you've supplied to me over the last several weeks. You haven't seen my username before, because although I've certainly had plenty of questions, I really didn't feel the need to make any new posts because of that little search box on the upper right part of my screen. That and some in-person help from a few key people made the acquisition process pretty darn painless. I've already made a donation to help keep the site running.

Are plugs allowed? I'll try one and see what happens. One of the guys who made everything easy for this first-time aircraft owner is @Kyle Koukol of KBK aircraft sales. He also owns a 201, I believe, and was able to spot a good one for me and knew what it was worth. He also didn't mind answering a million questions even before I formally retained his services. Think about contacting him if you are looking to acquire a Mooney or list one for sale.

I've got a bunch of plans for this bird, some of which my wife even knows about and supports! So maybe at some point I'll have a unique question I'll need to ask. But for now, I'll continue to mostly lurk until I feel I have enough Mooney experience to comment on such important topics as in-flight urine collection devices and how many 5-knot multiples are acceptable to add to our claimed cruise speeds.

Now can I please get my big first-post welcome from a certain somebody who is rather fond of ellipsis...?

IMG_2632.jpeg

• Like 15

Very funny, @201Mooniac. 

Somewhat interestingly, this plane has an Avidyne IFD540. Since I've almost exclusively used Garmin in rental aircraft, I was at first thinking, "Oh, that's simply going to have to go and I'll put a 750 in there instead." But the seller was so enthusiastic about it, I had to check it out, and sure enough it's quite a decent box. I'm probably going to keep it and may not end up doing too much else with the panel as far as upgrades. At least for a while ;)

1 hour ago, eyes_skyward said:

Greetings, Mooniacs!

As of today we are the proud owners of a very-well-taken-care-of J, and we even have the Mooney baseball hats for the whole family to prove it. . . .

Now can I please get my big first-post welcome from a certain somebody who is rather fond of ellipsis...?

Welcome aboard, eyes!! Nice looking J.

Your next step is transition training, and I also recommend attending a MAPA PPP.

I'm sure Anthony will be along soon . . . . :P

• Like 2

Thanks @Hank! I did sign up for MAPA but hadn't been aware of the PPP. Looks like I'm going to just miss the last 2021 session in Wichita.

That's another thing this site helped me with -- I found and made contact with a couple of good instructors in downstate Illinois, both of whom were extremely helpful and flexible in their offers to help me train. In the end, though, I found a CFI 2 miles away from me with lots of Mooney time.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Eyes_!

Great pirep for Kyle K.

Have no fear…. Everyone has some valid input to share…. Some of it may be based more on their life experience, than how to shoot an approach to minimums…

Congrats on the Mooney Acquisition!

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, eyes_skyward said:

Greetings, Mooniacs!

As of today we are the proud owners of a very-well-taken-care-of J, and we even have the Mooney baseball hats for the whole family to prove it. I wanted to thank many of you for all of the indirect help you've supplied to me over the last several weeks. You haven't seen my username before, because although I've certainly had plenty of questions, I really didn't feel the need to make any new posts because of that little search box on the upper right part of my screen. That and some in-person help from a few key people made the acquisition process pretty darn painless. I've already made a donation to help keep the site running.

Are plugs allowed? I'll try one and see what happens. One of the guys who made everything easy for this first-time aircraft owner is @Kyle Koukol of KBK aircraft sales. He also owns a 201, I believe, and was able to spot a good one for me and knew what it was worth. He also didn't mind answering a million questions even before I formally retained his services. Think about contacting him if you are looking to acquire a Mooney or list one for sale.

I've got a bunch of plans for this bird, some of which my wife even knows about and supports! So maybe at some point I'll have a unique question I'll need to ask. But for now, I'll continue to mostly lurk until I feel I have enough Mooney experience to comment on such important topics as in-flight urine collection devices and how many 5-knot multiples are acceptable to add to our claimed cruise speeds.

IMG_2632.jpeg

Nice looking plane.  Somebody must have been pretty proud of it to put enclosed wingtips on a '78!  I wouldn't be surprised to see similar attention through the rest of the plane.  

What happened with Kyle and Latitude, didn't he just announce he was brokering there this year?  That was fast.

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, Eyes_!

Great pirep for Kyle K.

Have no fear…. Everyone has some valid input to share…. Some of it may be based more on their life experience, than how to shoot an approach to minimums…

Congrats on the Mooney Acquisition!

Best regards,

-a-

There's what I was waiting for! Thanks, -a-, now I feel like one of the family. I've already appreciated the interesting viewpoints you bring to a given conversation, by the way.

1 hour ago, ZuluZulu said:

Nice looking plane.  Somebody must have been pretty proud of it to put enclosed wingtips on a '78!  I wouldn't be surprised to see similar attention through the rest of the plane.  

What happened with Kyle and Latitude, didn't he just announce he was brokering there this year?  That was fast.

Yes, I think the plane's been well-loved by a couple of different owners. Not sure exactly what happened with Kyle and Latitude, but I know they are on good terms.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2021 at 2:10 PM, eyes_skyward said:

Greetings, Mooniacs!

IMG_2632.jpeg

Congratulations Bob! So excited for you and your new J. Thank you again for the opportunity to work with you in this acquisition, I look forward to following your adventures with your new machine!

On 10/12/2021 at 7:19 PM, ZuluZulu said:

Hi @ZuluZulu, good question! Neal (of Latitude) and I are still working together. He is an amazing mentor that took me under his wing to allow him the opportunity to build his business as well as help me start my own. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kyle Koukol said:

Hi @ZuluZulu, good question! Neal (of Latitude) and I are still working together. He is an amazing mentor that took me under his wing to allow him the opportunity to build his business as well as help me start my own. 

I have firsthand experience dealing with Neal, and I’m not surprised to hear that!