Fuel Cap Quantity placard or wing placard

tls pilot

The hoist point decal can be misleading for some…

My placard is clearly posted on the nose of the plane, easy to see and read…

The actual hoist point is part of the engine mount behind/under the cowling… :)

Somebody must have won the Einstein in Aviation award that day…

A small dent is there as a reminder of what not to do…

Under the wing probably isn’t any safer… without the Jack point installed, and arrow pointing directly at it…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tommooney said:

Where can i buy new placards with custom gallons to replace the faded ones. And many others.....

Thanks

I bought some interior placards from LASAR. I made the ones for the fuel caps with a P-Touch label maker. 

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Yes, the FAR requirements apply regardless, and anything in the POH limitations applies to the affected model(s).

The M20J Limitations also include placards for under the wings saying, "HOIST POINT".   I wonder how many in the fleet have those.  ;)

Wait, what?  Mine does?  Is that unusual or something?

6 hours ago, PT20J said:

If a placard is listed in the Limitations section of the AFM/POH, it needs to be there. The Limitations section is the only part of the manual that the FAA approves. We rejected the new panel because the placard said THROTTLE and PROP but left off the PUSH INCREASE under each. Also, any placards required by STC need to be there. It looks from a lot of panel pictures I see that some are leaving off the required placard for the speed brakes.,

Skip

Does it need to convey the information on the placards if you get it replaced, or does it need to duplicate the graphic in the POH exactly?  For example, does the ELT placard require the Mooney insignia on it to be airworthy?

image.png.2b41507d9fee0b3fdc99ea729a8726f4.png

Does it need to convey the information on the placards if you get it replaced, or does it need to duplicate the graphic in the POH exactly?  For example, does the ELT placard require the Mooney insignia on it to be airworthy?
image.png.2b41507d9fee0b3fdc99ea729a8726f4.png

In this case, the answer is on the placard image:
“Legend varies with equipment installed”.
  • Like 1

Judging by the typical samples seen on ramps around the country, many are missing the DO NOT PUSH on the stabs and rudder, as well as the "Do not slam door", tire pressure placards on the gear doors, HOIST POINT, as well as the fuel filler placards in their entirety and others.    It's surprising how few crashes there have been!  ;) 

13 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

In this case, the answer is on the placard image:
“Legend varies with equipment installed”.

I assumed "legend" refers to the text captions for the switches, not the insignia, square or star symbols, though?  For that matter, does this

image.png.f98c2611da2755c21f86357478edd246.png

mean you can't use a different style compass card?  Mine has a rectangular layout.

While I'm being intentionally pedantic, my question is whether a homemade placard that conveys the appropriate information is adequate, or whether the placard needs to come from an "official" source to meet the airworthiness requirement?

19 hours ago, Tommooney said:

Where can i buy new placards with custom gallons to replace the faded ones. And many others.....

Thanks

Talk to @ragedracer1977 he owns a vinyl company. He just made some fantastic ones for his 310. He mentioned to me yesterday that he was going to make some for Mooneys.

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

I assumed "legend" refers to the text captions for the switches, not the insignia, square or star symbols, though?  For that matter, does this

image.png.f98c2611da2755c21f86357478edd246.png

mean you can't use a different style compass card?  Mine has a rectangular layout.

While I'm being intentionally pedantic, my question is whether a homemade placard that conveys the appropriate information is adequate, or whether the placard needs to come from an "official" source to meet the airworthiness requirement?

You would need to severely piss off an FAA inspector before he would ding you for that.

12 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

BTW, An IA can totally sign off an inspection if the plane is missing placards. He just has to mention it in log entry. An IA is not responsible for the airworthiness of an airplane, the operator is. 

Not sure I'm following this...if you mean they sign off an annual inspection with discrepancies, well ok.  But, you can't legally fly the plane that way (without a ferry permit, anyway).  Seems like a distinction without a difference, to me.

What am I missing/What's your point?

2 hours ago, MikeOH said:

Hmm, I thought they arrived at airplanes already "severely pissed off":D

Most have too much work to do to be concerned with any particular GA airplane. All I have met just want you to be in compliance with the regs. If you are trying to cheat the system and get their attention, they will slap you down just for the sport of it.

• Like 2