Paint scheme

49 minutes ago, orionflt said:

I may be getting my plane painted and I’m looking for paint scheme ideas. 
here is one I like. 

5606DB2D-F663-4FD2-B75B-FB7064EB30AB.jpeg

I think the curves upswept toward the tail on our short bodies make them look even stubbier. Long horizontal lines elongate the appearance nicely.  I really like the design @lithium366 is using for his E model.  

image.png.f6bd84b7d2c46cfa7718074189004351.png

• Like 7

Regardless of your scheme, my suggestion is to use vinyl for the registration marks.  No one keeps their plane forever, vinyl marks future registration changes much easier.  When we import planes from the US, painted marks are always an issue.

Clarence

Find out who did the layout for N205J…

My memory is really crummy…

But that layout reminds me of an MSer’s called RMag…

If that is Rmag…. 

Then that is the definition of a memorable paint scheme….  :)

Post update:   Eeeerie….

+1 on Swoopy designs and modern planes….

+1 on swoopy designs and planes that have been updated to look modern….

+1 on classic designs and classic lines…

Now about that vinyl numbering idea….

Forever planes don’t do vinyl…those get specialized numbers that end with a pair of pilot’s initials… :)

Have a look in Bob’s pics for his M20E forever-plane…  @Bob_Belville

Inviting @EchoMax because he is the new care taker of Bob’s plane… :)

PP thoughts only… not talented with colors or lines…

Best regards,

-a-

Bob’s plane pic from his MS page… kind of a cross between swoop and classic… :)

F6D22594-2CF3-4F49-8825-E352919D9AA5.png

• Like 1

Do like Bob did above, keep the stripes straight and use the small 2" N number on the tail, unless you plan to fly international a lot. For the rare international flight, put on black or white 12" vinyl numbers, and remove them afterwards. Since the plane is 30 years old, 2" is all you need.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:55 AM, MooneyMitch said:

Oh, my opinion, I don’t think this original 1963 scheme makes my vintage Mooney look stubby......it already is stubby.... :lol:

I'm actually rather a fan of  the vintage schemes.  I was thinking of my friend, who put an ovation-like scheme on his '67 C.  Flying with him in that awesome plane in 2012 convinced me to pursue my pilot's license. His plane did look quite diminutive on the ramp though.  1.5 years later, I finished my ticket and got a '68 C with the pictured paint scheme, which is much cheaper and simpler than his I suspect.  When he first saw my plane, it looked so much longer to him that it took a while to convince him that it's the identical airframe. I think the two pictures together make the point...

2022818144_IMG_0073(002).thumb.jpg.ddd135ac5188486db118a9b2d5e3fcb8.jpg1228467247_IMG_0446(002).thumb.jpg.40a08b5098a45e2686e3925e4aedac86.jpg

Edited by DXB
  • Like 3

There have been a number of variations on my paint scheme.  I think mine makes the plane look longer and less cluttered.  The difference seems to be that the maroon red belly does not come up as high as others on the side and the combination of the red and gold striping underplay the overall picture so it does not look to heavy or overdone.  I wanted to use white for the top as in reflects more light and heat so there is less issues in the summer sun.  

John Breda

Mooneyspace pic Oshkosh 1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because I think some of the paint jobs I see on MS are elegant, and some are what-on-earth-were-they-thinking awful, I'm not going to say anything to the owner if I don't like his aircraft's paint job. It's still a Mooney!

That said, my two cents' worth:

• Paint jobs last a long time. Avoid trendy designs that might not age well, especially if you plan on keeping the aircraft.
  • Avoid clutter and conflicting geometry (i.e. straight lines that are aligned in multiple different directions, mixed curved and straight lines, etc.).  Not only is the Mooney kind of stubby, but the vertical stabilizer also has a perpendicular leading edge. The paint job should complement the Mooney design, not conflict with it. That means paint schemes that elongate the appearance of the fuselage.
  • Do extensive photoshopping to check alternative paint schemes, not merely general layouts but every detail:  For example, if you use colored paint stripes, whether they are separated by 1" or 1/2" of white can make a huge difference in appearance.
  • Few vintage GA aircraft undergo N-number changes. Forget about vinyl. Integrate the numbers into the paint scheme, and again do extensive photoshopping to consider alternative placement, italics versus straight, colors that are legal but still fit in with the rest of the design.
  • Have the paint shop neglect to dispose of all the leftover paint containers so that you can end up with exact-match touch-ups. If the paint shop can get you the supplier's formulas, so much the better. Pour the leftover paints into new, well-sealed cans and find out what the appropriate thinner is.
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 11:55 AM, MooneyMitch said:

Oh, my opinion, I don’t think this original 1963 scheme makes my vintage Mooney look stubby......it already is stubby.... :lol:

B2E84F37-77D7-4BE7-8926-5AD0B3346E34.jpeg

I think it looks GREAT, just the way it is…both the airplane and the paint scheme.

Edited by BKlott

Another simple, elegant, elongating paint scheme on a short body, also owned by someone here.  I'm now using this thread to collect paint schemes that I like in one place.  My paint is starting to get kinda beat up  :mellow:

Aviation photographs of Registration: N5746Q : ABPic

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I’ve been looking for the original paint scheme for my 1966 C.  I have the colors and an old advertisement (black & white).  Where would I go to find my factory paint job?  Painting is scheduled for July 2022, I have a little time.  I’ve resealed both tanks, completed the avionics upgrade and just finished the new interior.  Thanks

Paul

I’ve been looking for the original paint scheme for my 1966 C.  I have the colors and an old advertisement (black & white).  Where would I go to find my factory paint job?  Painting is scheduled for July 2022, I have a little time.  I’ve resealed both tanks, completed the avionics upgrade and just finished the new interior.  Thanks
Paul

Please tell me you’re not going to use original colors of 66 era…which are often browns/yellows/ugly greens.

And yes, I don’t like earth tones.
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...