Going to brag a bit - Just bought property on an airport

Decided time to start building a compound and preparing for the revolution.......  The only picture that shows my property is Afton3, the rest are just views.  This is located in Afton Wyoming, KAFO, which is about 2 hours south of Jackson Hole.  Now for the fun times of house design, approvals and contractors.  Expect a lot more questions on hangar design, etc. in the near future.  

afton1.jpg

afton2.jpg

afton3.jpg

afton4.jpg

• Like 18

I love it! We bought a place in Pagosa Springs, CO back in June. It isn't on the airport but is a mile from the airport. Sitting on the back porch looking at the trees and golf course with the planes coming and going is wonderful. I would have loved to have a place on an airport in the mountains somewhere but everywhere we looked  within a reasonable flying time I couldn't make it work.

• Like 1

Congratulations.  I will have to stop in someday ;).  I fly over that way on most flights from Logan in gliders.  Was last up there about two weeks ago.  Afton was a little too far north for me to retire at, so I bought on Grassy Meadows Sky Ranch in Southern Utah (https://www.grassymeadows.org/default.php)

5 hours ago, Stetson20 said:

What size lots and how much they going for? Just curious...

They are all about 1.2 acres, so not huge.  I bought the last one that was actively listed, they had 4 available several weeks ago and I bought the last one being actively listed.  They sold 3 in one week, I decided I better act fast.  They were asking $175K, I negotiated long and hard and got a .6% discount (notice the decimal point), it is definitely a sellers market.  The one "in front" with unobstructed view of runway is asking $500K so stupid money.  Not listed, I declined.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teddsgotwings said:

Congrats! Are you talking a 2 hour drive from jackson hole or a 2 hour flight? Im thinking of moving to Wyoming within the next year or two and proximity to Jackson hole is a key factor as to where I end up there. 

It is a 2 hour drive.  Pleasant drive.  

Will definitely have an open door for any Mooney owner who wants to stop in.  Thinking I will only live there in the summer time, till the 8' of snow start.......

Right now just land, the more I think about it the more I dread the planning and making building decisions.  First world problems.  Guess will just have to do it, money is cheap these days.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

Will definitely have an open door for any Mooney owner who wants to stop in.  Thinking I will only live there in the summer time, till the 8' of snow start.......

Right now just land, the more I think about it the more I dread the planning and making building decisions.  First world problems.  Guess will just have to do it, money is cheap these days.  

Look up barndominium. Lots of hangar space!

Yeah, somewhat lacking in street appeal, but you don't have road or runway frontage, so don't sweat it.

• Like 1

Mooney owner dream… hangar, walking distance to the house…. :)

Mooney owner dream #2… summer hangar and winter hangar….  

Good luck with the next steps… post lots of pics… ask lots of questions…

There are a few hangar homes around here…on MS.

Listening to TT’s Variometer playing in the background… like adding a jazz soundtrack to MS…  

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 3:33 PM, Mark89114 said:

Where is this?  If near Jackson Hole, I can’t afford it either.

It is between the Salt River Range and the Wyoming Range, 20 miles NE of Afton.  It is about 4 years old and not on the sectionals.  Definitely out of my price range.

https://www.renegadewyoming.com/

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 11:27 AM, TTaylor said:

It is between the Salt River Range and the Wyoming Range, 20 miles NE of Afton.  It is about 4 years old and not on the sectionals.  Definitely out of my price range.

https://www.renegadewyoming.com/

way out of my price range as well, looks like entry level starting lot is $725, leaving zeros off the end.  It does include a share of a Kodiak SE turboprop, so that would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the purchase. I live at XS09 & couldn’t be happier living in an active aviation community. I also own a property at SilverWest Estates Custer County in Westcliffe , CO . I always thought I might build a hangar in CO but I am getting less ambitious as time passes.