Need your input on a good mechanic in/near Florida- Who do you like?

Mark Lary

Hello Florida Mooniacs,

I recently bought my first airplane- an 87 J model.  I'm Kissimmee based and was planning to go to PJ Jimenez for maintenance as he is close by and extremely well thought of.  I Just called PJ to schedule my first annual and learned he has closed his shop to any new business and will only be supporting a few existing customers per month as of January first.  So PJ is retiring! 

My J is due for annual in January and I'd like to get it scheduled somewhere.  Can I get your thoughts on who would be a good choice to work with for maintenance? Any local shops with a reputation as stellar as PJ's?  I'm looking for a long term relationship.

Thank You

I've been using Phil for years and am lucky enough to be selected for continued service beyond December (at least that's what he told me).

There have always been good write ups here about Daytona Beach Aircraft, which specializes in Mooney's. Premier at KFXE is also a service center, but is not cheap.

Very well. He has been maintaining mine since 2016, pulled and replaced my engine after overhaul last year. He also maintains about a dozen other mooneys on and off the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! Good to know. I had used Phil on occasion but was not a regular so I guess I’m out. This next annual I need to replace both the uplock and downlock blocks (manual gear) and the aileron control rod (last rod that attaches to the aileron itself). The manual gear blocks look easy enough but the aileron rod looks challenging due to access. I was going to take the plane to Phil for annual so he could take care of this but sounds like that is not an option. X35 is close tome to I’ll give him a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 9/29/2021 at 1:13 PM, flyboy0681 said:

I've been using Phil for years and am lucky enough to be selected for continued service beyond December (at least that's what he told me).

There have always been good write ups here about Daytona Beach Aircraft, which specializes in Mooney's. Premier at KFXE is also a service center, but is not cheap.

I fix lots of things that Premier goofs up. They're a quarter mile from me, and always a great source of complaints from people who've been over charged and under-serviced.

10 hours ago, philiplane said:

I fix lots of things that Premier goofs up. They're a quarter mile from me, and always a great source of complaints from people who've been over charged and under-serviced.

I contacted you a couple of years ago to see if you were taking on new clients and you said you were swamped. My partners and I can sure use a guy with your experience, has your status changed any?

11 hours ago, philiplane said:

sounds like a shop in my backyard...looking for someone to do an annual next March or April on my C.....

• 2 weeks later...

I work with Alan out of KLAN. AP/IA great guy so far. Only had to do some minor things so I can’t testify about his major work. But he seems very thorough, fairly priced and was recommended by another mechanic that does not work on Mooneys from the same field. He is always busy but not swamped. 

On 10/21/2021 at 2:57 PM, MMsuper21 said:

I work with Alan out of KLAN. AP/IA great guy so far. Only had to do some minor things so I can’t testify about his major work. But he seems very thorough, fairly priced and was recommended by another mechanic that does not work on Mooneys from the same field. He is always busy but not swamped. 

KLNA and KLAN….

Your avatar says one thing and you are writing about the other…

Are they the same? Or two different places?

I’m not familiar with either…. :)

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

KLNA and KLAN….

Best regards,

-a-

KLNA and KLAN….

Best regards,

-a-

KLAN … typo KLNA Lantana. By West Palm Beach. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, MMsuper21 said:

Anyone willing to do an owner assist insight g2 and Ei R1 tach install? 

See if Phil Jimenez can be helpful for you…

How skilled are you with wiring projects?

Do you need a lot of guidance, or just the official signature at the end?

Best regards,

-a-

See if Phil Jimenez can be helpful for you…

How skilled are you with wiring projects?

Do you need a lot of guidance, or just the official signature at the end?

Best regards,

-a-

It’s my first plane project and would like someone to watch over my shoulder for the first time. Probably a bit more than just sign off.

Warning tangent:

I build computers, tuned and build cars motorcycles, engineer by education. I learned have somebody competent around for the first few rounds. 

I would love to have a hands on course for Mooney owners this is how to take apart your cowling, check spark plugs, soak injectors, change oil , tires, etc.  Even if you don’t do the work knowing how to verify your APs work and ask the right questions. 
(If there is interest I wouldn’t mind organizing one)

I am so particular with my cars I would not take it to shops because they never did things up to my standards, and with today’s AP workloads things get rushed. 

Many Thanks

19 hours ago, MMsuper21 said:

It’s my first plane project and would like someone to watch over my shoulder for the first time. Probably a bit more than just sign off.

Warning tangent:

I build computers, tuned and build cars motorcycles, engineer by education. I learned have somebody competent around for the first few rounds. 

I would love to have a hands on course for Mooney owners this is how to take apart your cowling, check spark plugs, soak injectors, change oil , tires, etc.  Even if you don’t do the work knowing how to verify your APs work and ask the right questions. 

I am so particular with my cars I would not take it to shops because they never did things up to my standards, and with today’s AP workloads things get rushed. 

Many Thanks

As Tom pointed out… PJ may or may not be taking on new customers…

If you have the opportunity to stop by and ask… it would make a great visit…

Getting to know other owners and mechanics is really helpful…

Getting a good pic of wire layouts under the cowling would be really helpful…

TC wires are tiny voltage… easily interrupted by spark plug wires that are maxi voltage… The whole EM thing…

FF sensors have some good places to go and some not so good places… 

So… copy a good example… :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

Warning tangent:
Many Thanks

Before Covid-19 there was a 2-3 day seminar on Mooneys put together by well known AP shop in east Texas (Maxwell), I think it was in May, hopefully next year it will return. It would be announced here.
  • Thanks 1