New M20J Owner - Miami

WAFI

Hi guys! 

Just purchased my first Mooney. I live down in Key Biscayne and l'm looking for some local knowledge on the south FL areas Mooney Owners/Experts. 

Trusted mechanics for annuals, basic maintenance, AV Techs, etc... 

Any good general knowledge is welcome, as I am a Mooney novice. 

I haven't pick up my bird yet and haven't decided where to keep it yet. I leaning towards KHWO or KTMB. 

Don't go to the local Mooney service center (Premier) at KFXE. Unless you have unlimited funds, and don't mind going back six times for the same problem. Which is often a problem that they created.

HWO is a decent airport and is the most GA friendly in the area due to the shorter runways and lack of jet traffic.

Edited by philiplane

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 1:15 AM, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Bumpy!

While we wait for the FL group to show…

Did you have a Pre-purchase inspection done?

Have you planned out your Transition Training at all?

Probably the third spoke for the newbie wheel is insurance…. Got that covered?

Best regards,

-a-

All in process. I won't be picking up the my mooney until late November. Transition train will be done then, up in North GA. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 9:04 PM, philiplane said:

Don't go to the local Mooney service center (Premier) at KFXE. Unless you have unlimited funds, and don't mind going back six times for the same problem. Which is often a problem that they created.

HWO is a decent airport and is the most GA friendly in the area due to the shorter runways and lack of jet traffic.

I might continue to do the service up in GA at Collins or North FL if I find someone up there. Any suggestions in south FL?

• 2 weeks later...

When I was flying, I was out of KFXE. T-hangars were running about $750. But it's an extra 10min on top of the drive to KHWO if you're coming from Key Biscayne.

Congrats on the plane btw, I just joined the community as I'm looking to do some more research on Mooneys as I look to get back to flying.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

My Mooney Just Arrived from the UK now tied down at PMP, Looking to join the local community and happy to share flying experiences. My bird is as an Acclaim 2007 with G1000. Looking for advise on good places to fly.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in KLNA and wouldn't mind a meetup. I am working with Alain AP/IA out of KLNA 786-660-3447 he is very reasonable and knows his Mooneys I was quizzing him the other day he knew the differences between models and was aware of a lot quirks about the planes.

Also when getting estimates Avionics shop wanted 65 hours to do an engine monitor vs Alain 30 hours. He actually cares about keeping you in the air not only financially but also squeezes me in between jobs if its grounding my plane :)