Step retract boot patch?

Hi everyone,

The step retract servo boot on our C has a leak.  It stops retracting with about 8" left.   I've got one spare.   Before I replace the boot, I wonder if there might be a way to patch it to get some more life out of it. Access is great, this little tear is about 1/2" long on the downward facing side of the servo.   Anyone ever do this?

I can see that changing the material properties by applying a patch might create problems/stresses elsewhere on the membrane, which suggests a thin patch. It also must be a thin patch because it must roll around and not hang up as the membrane changes orientation during retract/extension.  Any ideas, or should I just bite the bullet and replace it?  In 2021 is there a really cool way to patch this so that we might get a few more years of life out of it?

I know about the excellent electric conversion, but I don't want to do that now.   I'm fully committed to the Brittain system and my vacuum pump is brand new.

boot_slit.jpg

40 minutes ago, hammdo said:

Liquid tape maybe? I have one of those boots etc after my electric step...

-Don

Looked at a video on youtube this evening of a guy who experimented with fixing bicycle tubes with "flex tape"!!!    Meh.  

Thanks Don.  I'll keep your extra retract boot in mind.  I'll follow up with a possible solution if I find one.

Fred

Acquired tire-patch kit from Wally-World for $4.00.   Figured there was enough gap between the cans for a thin patch from the kit to make the turn.  Scraped, slathered, pressed and waited 30 minutes.  Viola.  Fully retracting step.  How long will it last??? That's the question.

Had the same problem 4 years ago when I bought my M20C.  Someone disconnected and plugged the vacuum line and tied the step in the up position. Searched around looking for a way to patch 2 small holes in the boot.  Finally went to Lowe’s and purchased a 3 oz tube of “Loctite PL Marine Fast Cure Adhesive Sealant”. This sealant is nice and flexible with a 24 hour cure time.  Only used a small amount on and around each hole.  My step has been working flawless for the past 4 years.  Highly recommend it.  

• Like 1