Will Montague folding bikes fit in c or e models

1 hour ago, Mooney Dog said:

On a real note, this is making me look at folding bikes now. 

I recommend getting the cheapest used example of folding bike you can find on craigslist.  Old Dahons and Chinese Amazon knockoffs are usually plenty deep there.  See if you really like the concept of flying and biking, or maybe you decide you might prefer the chargeable scooter option.  Then invest in something more expensive that rides better or fits in the plane better, etc.  The portable transportation pit is bottomless, and they never sell for as much as you paid for them.  

• Like 1

I use a onewheel. It’s 27 lbs does 20mph has 17 mile range and recharges 80% in 45 mins fully in 1.5 hours. Easily fits in baggage compartment. Good for time at lunch. Can ride it on surprisingly rough terrain and in the rain. Operates on the gyro principle like Segway. Feels like surfing. Even has lights for night riding. 

All good info gang.

I have two of the Montague bikes, one for me, one for the wife, we currently fly a 172, but are interested in the Mooney for it’s shorter cross country times. My post is mainly for help in discovering the capabilities of the Mooney to carry more than just passengers. For us , the back seats seldom carry people, but most often the bikes, and camping gear. So, it sounds like if I were to leave the rear tire on, and only remove the front tires on the bikes, I could still fold the front seats forward and fit them through the passenger door , to the rear seats ?

it seems like it would depend if the model we fly in has the rear foldable seats, if not sounds like the only clean way is removal of the rear seat backs, so I’m not sure if that is always possible ?

still appears the F model would allow for more room, given my bikes are only about 12 to 13 inches wide, the extra 10 or so inches of the stretched fuse could really help.

we typically fold the Cessna rear seats down, and both bikes fit, we strap them down so they can’t shift in flight.

it is super fun to get out on the bikes at the destination field, and be able to get into new towns and pedal around. The new scooters are of interest, now that battery power is capable of longer runs with these, however the weight can add up quickly, especially with two, plus gear as your baggage .

I see some of the posts, some are not familiar with the Montague, as someone mentioned, there big plus is, they are full sized bikes with decent hardware, and ride very strong and solid, they have full size 26 tires, the fold process is very simple and quick, I pull the front tire and fold, use Velcro straps around the frame to pull and keep the bike together for travel, Montague actually makes bags for their bikes, however they are a little pricey, but built for the task. I put detachable pedals on ours, which really helps, as the pedals tend to snag on seats or make it difficult to place flat.

I have the x70 model and one they made years ago for the Hummer, it’s paint matches a yellow hummer, I believe the bike was originally designed for the military to strap the bike to a parachuter, to jump , land , and deploy on a ground based mission .

Edited by Sportster64

There is a thread around here that details how to turn the back seat into one that can fold down relatively easily….

Or be on the look out for a 90s Mooney with the really nice fold down back seats…

You already have airplane ownership experience…. So getting the right Mooney for you, won’t be a giant risky leap of faith…

If you like speed and efficiency….

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

21 hours ago, Will.iam said:

I use a onewheel. It’s 27 lbs does 20mph has 17 mile range and recharges 80% in 45 mins fully in 1.5 hours. Easily fits in baggage compartment. Good for time at lunch. Can ride it on surprisingly rough terrain and in the rain. Operates on the gyro principle like Segway. Feels like surfing. Even has lights for night riding. 

You have a link to this thing?

Just now, A64Pilot said:

wwwonewheel.com takes me to this place, and I don’t think that’s it

http://iyfbodn.com/?dn=wwwonewheel.com&pid=9POT3387I&pbsubid=05d5c213-b702-e1cb-41d7-886726b8f19c

That’s www dot (.) onewheel.com NOT wwwonewheel.com or just copy and paste my link above should work. Also the board is built like a mooney wing a tank and the tire is a go-cart racing slick tire so easy to find and replace. 

2 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

That’s www dot (.) onewheel.com NOT wwwonewheel.com or just copy and paste my link above should work. Also the board is built like a mooney wing a tank and the tire is a go-cart racing slick tire so easy to find and replace. 

I got it, a neighbor has one, but she rides it slow, I didn’t know it was fast.

1K isn’t bad, my URB-E’s were I think about 3K ea for example and a Dahon Mariner is $500 and they aren’t a high end bike

is it  difficult to learn?

Edited by A64Pilot

12 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I got it, a neighbor has one, but she rides it slow, I didn’t know it was fast.

1K isn’t bad, my URB-E’s were I think about 3K ea for example and a Dahon Mariner is $500 and they aren’t a high end bike

(s or difficult to learn?

I took it to my friends house and all the Neighborhood kids were outside about 60 in total. Everyone of them was riding it within 2 mins. And getting good on it within 15 mins. It took me 30 mins to not be tensed up as your brain is trying to teach your muscles which way to balance lean and turn but the gyros help you balance. Within 2 hours i was trying to see what the  top speed was and caught the front edge and it launched me. Some have gotten to 28mph but that is on smooth surface as the faster you command by leaning further forward your nose to ground clearance reduces and all it takes is a small dip for the wheel to go into and the front lip catches on the ground. But these are at speeds higher than 20 mph. A guy down the street was a skate boarder growing up and he jumped on it and took off going so fast i thought he had ridden one before but he said no it’s just very similar to skateboarding but without having to keep pushing. He bought one the next day.   There are different modes and one is incline which sets the nose much higher to go over rocks branches etc but it’s not as comfortable on long cruises as you feel tilted. There is a kids mode to limit speed to 9 mph.  I generally cruise at 15 mph relaxed like riding a bicycle. It feels just like riding a snow board or surf board and that is what the inventor wanted. — something he could keep his snow boarding skills up on in the summer time off season.    It’s great for taking the dog out for a run and zipping over to a neighbor’s house. 

23 hours ago, Will.iam said:

Ha.  My wife and I just saw 3 guys cruising on one wheels on a gravel park trail.  Except they bolted a piece of plywood on top for a platform, then screwed a cheap lawn chair onto that.

Maneuvering with just a little bit of arm and leg weight shifting, it was quite a site to see.    Not sure how they got on to start the process, but I wish I would have taken some video of them zipping along the trails.

That’s the thing, most electric scooters and my URB-E’s are pure on road vehicles, even sand on pavement can make one slip and fall, forget gravel or dirt etc.

A bicycle is more tolerant for off road than a scooter, but is bigger, this one wheel things seems to have some off pavement capability?

1 hour ago, A64Pilot said:

That’s the thing, most electric scooters and my URB-E’s are pure on road vehicles, even sand on pavement can make one slip and fall, forget gravel or dirt etc.

A bicycle is more tolerant for off road than a scooter, but is bigger, this one wheel things seems to have some off pavement capability?

I ride on grass all the time. Steep hills are tricky going up but easy going down and the battery is regenerating going down hill too. I haven’t tried deep sand or mud but did see one guy take his completely underwater at the beach for minutes at a time on youtube. He made the comment it stopped working the next day but at least i stopped worrying about riding in the rain. It’s splash proof but not scuba diving water proof. 

On 9/23/2021 at 5:09 PM, Jerry 5TJ said:

We carried our CoMotion tandem in the C model.  It fit into the baggage area tho  only via the door.  Admit that the bike does have S&S couplers so the frame splits in three.      

Nice!

we have a commotion tandem too / with a soft ride beam for the back but no s&s.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:44 AM, aviatoreb said:

It looks like something Marty McFly would bring back from future. :)

• Haha 1

I used to take Montague Paratrooper in M20J, still lot of hassle to get in/out but if you have time it’s doable (sorry, I don’t have a picture of it inside Mooney), you have to remove front wheel, fold front seat and be careful not to scratch anything,

I used to do the same with mountain bikes in DA40 & D42 piece of cake with 3rd door 

Maybe time to get the two doors Acclaim :D

ACA75DFA-84B2-48F2-B79F-DC63AEE7FC62.jpeg

99032564-E0EF-42F4-9DB6-9FB7F58B889A.jpeg

C90E2A57-6183-4B91-8EB0-582B7194D0D5.jpeg

23C55122-2CAE-419D-9559-8B3664452776.jpeg

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ibra said:

I used to take Montague Paratrooper in M20J, still lot of hassle to get in/out but if you have time it’s doable (sorry, I don’t have a picture of it inside Mooney), you have to remove front wheel, fold front seat and be careful not to scratch anything,

I used to do the same with mountain bikes in DA40 & D42 piece of cake with 3rd door 

Maybe time to get the two doors Acclaim :D

ACA75DFA-84B2-48F2-B79F-DC63AEE7FC62.jpeg

99032564-E0EF-42F4-9DB6-9FB7F58B889A.jpeg

C90E2A57-6183-4B91-8EB0-582B7194D0D5.jpeg

23C55122-2CAE-419D-9559-8B3664452776.jpeg

That’s what I have.  With both wheels off, seat post off, pedals off (Grt quick release pedals then they come off in 5 sec) the frame fits easily through the baggage door.  And in wheel bags the wheels fit easily through the man door snd nothing scratches.

• Like 1

So here is my new to me Bike Friday Tikit.  I got it off craiglist crawler coming across the country.   I am very impressed with it - it is a large - most folding bikes don't come in sizes but this brand does.  Which is important since I am tall, plus it is beefed up to match my size/weight.  I am 6'4'' 212lbs and this has a max of 230lbs.  I wanted the tikit even though it is discontinued for a newer model - the pakit - that that folds slightly smaller, but slightly slower, mostly because its weight limit is 220lbs.

So it rides quite reasonably for a folder!  More like a real bike.  Compared to most folders that ride like clown bikes.  I wouldn't mind going on a 10 or 15 mile ride on it.  Probably if I were planning a 30 mile ride or a mountain bike ride I would bring either my hummer, or my non folding bikes.

It folds in literally 10 seconds - no kidding.  It really does.  To the fold you see.  However to get it through my mooney baggage door - which it does quite nicely, I need one more folding step which is to remove the seat post, which is like 5 more seconds.  The pedals also remove quick release but it is not necessary.

This brand seems to be the best trifecta of

-rides reasonably well

-folds very very fast and easy no hassle.

-folds small enough to fit through the baggage door.

I like it so much that now I will shop for one for my wife - which isn't as tricky since she is not as tall.  So her bike wouldn't be as rare to find.  It will be some bike Friday though.  Hopefully a tikit or pakit.

IMG_3289-1.jpg

IMG_3288-1.jpg

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Sounds like 26” folding bikes like Montague are a pain - gotta take wheels off to load easily. What about the 24” Tern Verge series?  Anyone have experience there, particularly in a short body?  I don’t have the folding seat.  It would be nice to have larger than 20” wheels to preserve some ride quality…

https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/472/verge-p10