Will Montague folding bikes fit in c or e models

I have two folding montague bikes.
wife and I like to have these for our trips

will two of these bikes fit in a m20c or m20e 

ive have transported them in a 63 c172d with the rear seats folded down successfully.

will I need the m20f or j model ?
not sure what options I have for rear seat folding or rear back removals, I’ve seen some posts on this, but not sure if the c and e models would work with the shorter fuselage

They are each 36″ x 28″ x 12″ once folded and loaded

about32 pounds each

Welcome aboard Sportster.

Let me see if @aviatoreb is around…. He has plenty of bike packing experience…

He may even be able to point you in the right direction…

There are a few Threads around here about what bikes people have, and best ways to get them on board….

And best bags for wheels and bike frames…

Lastly, there is a thread about folding the back of the bench down… to allow for additional space…

Great question, plenty of answers… let’s see if we can lead you to where they are stored…

Start the search with BBQ covers….     Because they are a low cost device often used with the carriage of bicycles  in Mooneys…   :)

Best regards,

-a-

52 minutes ago, Sportster64 said:

I have two folding montague bikes.
wife and I like to have these for our trips

will two of these bikes fit in a m20c or m20e 

ive have transported them in a 63 c172d with the rear seats folded down successfully.

will I need the m20f or j model ?
not sure what options I have for rear seat folding or rear back removals, I’ve seen some posts on this, but not sure if the c and e models would work with the shorter fuselage

They are each 36″ x 28″ x 12″ once folded and loaded

about32 pounds each

I’ve had two of them in my M20E.  While easier with the seat down, I’ve put two on the back seat….one I. Front of the other.  Best to bag them or at least wrap them.  I now use a ratchet strap wrapped around the bike to hold it there.  Used to use the rear belts, but it was never satisfactory.  Be very careful.  They come so close to the rear windows and there is always a risk of dropping them on the wing.  I use a small bungee cord to hold the pax seat to the yoke so it doesn’t keep dropping in the way while trying to lift it through the door.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Sportster.

Let me see if @aviatoreb is around…. He has plenty of bike packing experience…

He may even be able to point you in the right direction…

There are a few Threads around here about what bikes people have, and best ways to get them on board….

And best bags for wheels and bike frames…

Lastly, there is a thread about folding the back of the bench down… to allow for additional space…

Great question, plenty of answers… let’s see if we can lead you to where they are stored…

Start the search with BBQ covers….     Because they are a low cost device often used with the carriage of bicycles  in Mooneys…   :)

Best regards,

-a-

Definitely all bike things go into bags to keep the airplane clean.  BBQ and straps for the bike.  Wheeel bags for the wheels.  e.g. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/chain-reaction-cycles-logo-bike-wheel-bag/rp-prod109044?gs=1&sku=sku390939&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv5uKBhD6ARIsAGv9a-zgWOoKZipQLDhj_6iFAP9CTnNOw6zzq7KtgPOTKopPepMI7b7N0J8aAkP9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

A Montague with both wheels off, and the bars turned sideways parallel the frame, and the frame folded in half fits through the luggage door, with the 26' wheels going through the man door.  Still much nicer than squeezing a full frame through the man door.

• Like 1

I don't know what a Montague folding bike is, I guess I don't get to eat lunch with the cool kids.  I have the cheapest aluminum frame folding bike I could get from Amazon.  It has little wheels like a clown bicycle.  It fits just fine in the luggage bay, and I could easily fit another in the passenger seat.

I just thoroughly degrease my road bike with red brake parts cleaner, I take the chain off and wash it in mineral spirits until it is squeaky clean and then lube it with a wax based lube and then rub it clean with a rag. throw the wheels in the baggage compartment and insert the bike through the passenger door. You can fit two.

3 hours ago, steingar said:

I don't know what a Montague folding bike is, I guess I don't get to eat lunch with the cool kids.  I have the cheapest aluminum frame folding bike I could get from Amazon.  It has little wheels like a clown bicycle.  It fits just fine in the luggage bay, and I could easily fit another in the passenger seat.

Its a pretty neat folder in that it is still a full sized bike with full sized 26'er wheels and it is tough enough to us for real as an off road mountain bike.  Most folders have small wheels.

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Its a pretty neat folder in that it is still a full sized bike with full sized 26'er wheels and it is tough enough to us for real as an off road mountain bike.  Most folders have small wheels.

That won't fit in the luggage bay of my Mooney.  Thankfully I don't fly to places where I can go out and mountain bike.  I mostly fly to places where I can get lunch.  And I'm surprised that I'm so fat.

5 hours ago, steingar said:

That won't fit in the luggage bay of my Mooney.  Thankfully I don't fly to places where I can go out and mountain bike.  I mostly fly to places where I can get lunch.  And I'm surprised that I'm so fat.

Aren’t all of our luggage doors the same size?  It does fit through.  Not the wheels - just the folded frame with the wheels removed.

it rides nicely on the road too.

11 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Aren’t all of our luggage doors the same size?  It does fit through.  Not the wheels - just the folded frame with the wheels removed.

it rides nicely on the road too.

If I have to pull off the wheels to go anywhere the bike is staying home.  Its all I can do to unfold the one I got.  Different purposes, mine is just to get me from the airport to something interesting.  I don't fly to places and bicycle recreationally.

2 hours ago, steingar said:

If I have to pull off the wheels to go anywhere the bike is staying home.  Its all I can do to unfold the one I got.  Different purposes, mine is just to get me from the airport to something interesting.  I don't fly to places and bicycle recreationally.

Actually - I quite hear you on that!  Its too much trouble pulling the wheels off if I just want ground transportation for 3 miles say.  So as it turns out I just ordered and I am waiting on a bike Friday "tikit" that I already ordered and is supposedly the world's fastest folder.  They claim 10 seconds.  

I am attracted to that model because its a fast fast folder (compromise on the ride but we talked about that) AND it comes in sizes vs most folders say the Brompton that is also a very fast folder which is "one size fits all" which at 6'4'' means immediately to me "one size so it will be too small for you but we will still sell it to you".  I am sure the tikit will be a compromise on the ride but anyway its for those short jaunts. If I like it I will get one for my wife too.

Yeah - I have too many bikes.  But I figure there are worse vices a guy can have than a garage full of bikes.

• Haha 1

Since we are talking about folding bikes in the Mooney I thought I'd share the folding scooters I recently purchased.  Voro Emove Cruisers.  With a blanket and 2 tiedown straps they fit pretty good.  They are heavy. 52 lbs a piece. They go 30 MPH and have a 60 mile range on a full charge.  Plus they are Mucho fun!

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kerry said:

Since we are talking about folding bikes in the Mooney I thought I'd share the folding scooters I recently purchased.  Voro Emove Cruisers.  With a blanket and 2 tiedown straps they fit pretty good.  They are heavy. 52 lbs a piece. They go 30 MPH and have a 60 mile range on a full charge.  Plus they are Mucho fun!

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

I have a pair of Xootr Scooters - adult sized kick scooters - https://xootr.com/products/xootr-kick-scooter-mg?gclid=CjwKCAjwhaaKBhBcEiwA8acsHK9fxbRTo-VWqHg3CuLrQm3USEpeI9G91sBlcmUnFj1U5RMxwp-zChoCtioQAvD_BwE

but entirely kick powered - so appropriate for 1 or 2 mi on flat terrain.

I have thought a lot about an electric scooter as you have, but I always worry about battery powered "hoover" devices which have a reputation for self combustion.  Do you know anything about the battery safeness of the lipo in those units?

5 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I have a pair of Xootr Scooters - adult sized kick scooters - https://xootr.com/products/xootr-kick-scooter-mg?gclid=CjwKCAjwhaaKBhBcEiwA8acsHK9fxbRTo-VWqHg3CuLrQm3USEpeI9G91sBlcmUnFj1U5RMxwp-zChoCtioQAvD_BwE

but entirely kick powered - so appropriate for 1 or 2 mi on flat terrain.

I have thought a lot about an electric scooter as you have, but I always worry about battery powered "hoover" devices which have a reputation for self combustion.  Do you know anything about the battery safeness of the lipo in those units?

The scooters have top of the line LG batteries and they are fully encased in aluminum.  I feel safe as long as they're not powered up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Kerry,

How much skill/learning is required for that electric scooter device?

I have a passenger that isn’t much of a bike rider….  :)

Best regards,

-a-

The deck you stand on is big.  There are different modes which can be programed so that the ride is more gentle.  It took me 5-10 minutes to get use to the jerkiness of the throttle.  Other then that it's not to difficult to use.  There's lots of videos and reviews online.  

• Thanks 1

I have two URB-E’s, they are very similar to a scooter, except there is a bike seat to sit on, that makes the thing a whole lot more stable, folds in seconds.

30 ish lbs I believe and the battery is I’m nearly certain a bank of Panasonic 18650 cells. the same batteries Tesla uses.

I chose an URB-E as it’s a US made vehicle, made in California. I don’t delude myself into believing the electronics are, but the frame is.

https://youtu.be/jMXziu6GHCw

Probably 15 years ago I motorized a Dahon Mariner, it’s actually pretty good but the motor is as loud as a weed eater of course and with Lipo batteries the day of the gas motor bike is past. Carried in in my Maule for visiting grass strips where there was no transportation.

I also have two newer Dahon Mariners that I took with us on the boat cruising, scooters etc are great, but don’t do so good off of pavement, that’s where a bike comes into its own.

‘But finally a good padded cover is required, not just for keeping the aircraft clean, but to protect it and the bike, a bike will have lots of things sticking out brake levers etc and a padded bag will make sliding a bike in and out of the airplane much easier and nothing catches but also nothing digs into the interior when your flying in turbulence etc.

‘If your a cyclist like I used to be, nothing is as good as a Bike Friday, but you pay for it, Bromptoms are also good, but again not cheap. Dahon’s are a good value, if your a cyclist you’ll not like them, but for the average person they are just fine.

B18FFF6E-F987-4251-A002-B7B735D1B791.jpeg

B90053C3-3643-4957-9DE3-487807A19B67.jpeg

41C7D804-0F5D-47F4-95CB-10FE52102EF5.jpeg

Edited by A64Pilot

Speaking of Bike Fridays, I will attest that the Family Tandem will fit through the baggage door of a J, and is compact enough that the entire bike sits in the baggage area below the top of the back seat.  Just hauled ours from CA to NJ and back.

It takes up significantly less space than our two single folders, and as a bonus I can leave the back seat up and use it.

2015.family.clipped.WEB_.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/21/2021 at 8:31 AM, aviatoreb said:

Actually - I quite hear you on that!  Its too much trouble pulling the wheels off if I just want ground transportation for 3 miles say.  So as it turns out I just ordered and I am waiting on a bike Friday "tikit" that I already ordered and is supposedly the world's fastest folder.  They claim 10 seconds.  

I am attracted to that model because its a fast fast folder (compromise on the ride but we talked about that) AND it comes in sizes vs most folders say the Brompton that is also a very fast folder which is "one size fits all" which at 6'4'' means immediately to me "one size so it will be too small for you but we will still sell it to you".  I am sure the tikit will be a compromise on the ride but anyway its for those short jaunts. If I like it I will get one for my wife too.

Yeah - I have too many bikes.  But I figure there are worse vices a guy can have than a garage full of bikes.

I have a pair or Bromptons.  They fold fast, but not as fast as that demo!  There are two threaded knobs that lock the frame and handlebars into position, and they take about 5 seconds each, if you are not trying to race.  The Bromptons do ride with big bike comfort on good surfaces.  The small wheels are not as bad as you think, but I have also had small wheel folders that felt wobbly and clown-ish.  There is a variety of designs, prices, and performance in folders.  I am much shorter than you, but you can get a tall seat post, and the P-type bars I have are a decent height already. 

I can fit the Brompton through the hatch if I am patient.  With the tall seat post, I suspect it would be just large enough to not clear the hatch, and be relegated to the rear seat. 

For people with Bromptons, they fit in $10 IKEA Dimpa bags, which are very durable.  Forget the +100 bag from Brompton.

-dan

1 hour ago, Bolter said:

I have a pair or Bromptons.  They fold fast, but not as fast as that demo!  There are two threaded knobs that lock the frame and handlebars into position, and they take about 5 seconds each, if you are not trying to race.  The Bromptons do ride with big bike comfort on good surfaces.  The small wheels are not as bad as you think, but I have also had small wheel folders that felt wobbly and clown-ish.  There is a variety of designs, prices, and performance in folders.  I am much shorter than you, but you can get a tall seat post, and the P-type bars I have are a decent height already. 

I can fit the Brompton through the hatch if I am patient.  With the tall seat post, I suspect it would be just large enough to not clear the hatch, and be relegated to the rear seat. 

For people with Bromptons, they fit in $10 IKEA Dimpa bags, which are very durable.  Forget the +100 bag from Brompton.

-dan

Thanks for the bag alternative hints!

I have once ridden Brompton set up for largest riders.  I am 6'4''.  The problem with little bikes with big seat posts is - they are still little bikes with big seat posts.  And they do ride like clown bikes if you are just too big for it.  The wheel base is just too short for me and there is too much unsuspended seat post makes for a crazy flex ride and the fact that it doesn't use a real stem means my hands are just too close for me.

I am really hoping this bike friday tikit will work for me - they come in S M or L and the tubes are actually beefed up for L and also I can use a standard long stem.  Fingers crossed!

Careful measurements suggests it will EASILY go into the baggage door with the front wheel removed which is very easy, but the rear wheel stays in place which is the one that is a pain in the neck.

Fingers crossed!

If I like it I will get one for my wife, who is a much easier person to fit as she is one foot shorter than me.