Contemplating a move; tie down at SMO?

sleeper-319

Hey all, I’m contemplating a bit of a move, and would love to get some intel & opinions. 

I split my time between LA and the Bay Area. Plane is hangared in the Bay Area, and the ~10-15 days a month I’m in LA, I’ve been keeping it in transient parking at WHP. My office is in Hollywood, and I’d need to be in about 3 days a week on avg. I currently stay in West Hollywood, but would like to bounce to a new town for a while and am considering Santa Monica because, well… probably only about 5 more years of work before I retire, and living in a beach town for a year doesn’t sound bad.  :-)

I do want to be reasonably close to an airport though, and WHP, SMO, VNY, and maybe HHR seem like the practical options. And I doubt I’d get a hangar at any of those any time soon, so I’d be parked at a tie down. With all that in mind, any general advice for a home away from home? Is SMO a reasonable option, or would it be corrosion suicide for a plane? I know there are landing fees, and I know it’s closing in 28, but how is it otherwise?

Thanks. 

Oh, plane is an 87 M20J thats currently clean and corrosion free. I’m a pretty new owner (6 months now).

Currently Working at SMO for the past 13 years. I wouldn’t say corrosion is horrible. Keep it clean and waxed and you’ll be good. Cover is a must. CMA is dustier than SMO. Mixed in with the ocean breeze at CMA and I feel CMA is worse than SMO. SMO City hangars are still available. Aeroplex group runs some of the nicer hangars. Atlantic no longer controls the lease. City controls the lease on almost everything. 
All in all, it’s an awesome little airport. 
-Matt

1 hour ago, Tommooney said:

You can call if you want to know more 805-300-6621

I dig Camarillo, but it’s way too far from where I need to be for work when I’m in LA. 

1 hour ago, MB65E said:

Currently Working at SMO for the past 13 years. I wouldn’t say corrosion is horrible. Keep it clean and waxed and you’ll be good. Cover is a must. CMA is dustier than SMO. Mixed in with the ocean breeze at CMA and I feel CMA is worse than SMO. SMO City hangars are still available. Aeroplex group runs some of the nicer hangars. Atlantic no longer controls the lease. City controls the lease on almost everything. 
All in all, it’s an awesome little airport. 
-Matt

OK, wait… I just assumed that hangar wait lists would be years deep, so I didn’t even ask initially. I talked with a dude at Aeroplex earlier today, and he confirmed tie–downs are avail. Does Aeroplex manage the city hangars as well, or do I have to call the city airport folks for that?

Thanks for the info. 

Aeroplex only manages a few larger corporate hangars on the north side. They have a few smaller hangars on the north side as well. 
You’ll need to call the  city airport office directly for their hangars. Also try The Barkers. Bob Barkers wife runs a few hangar rows on the south side. 
-Matt

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 6:41 AM, MB65E said:

Aeroplex only manages a few larger corporate hangars on the north side. They have a few smaller hangars on the north side as well. 
You’ll need to call the  city airport office directly for their hangars. Also try The Barkers. Bob Barkers wife runs a few hangar rows on the south side. 
-Matt

Thanks Matt. I called the City and they said Aeroplex manages all of theirs. The Aeroplex prices were on the high side for what I need. I'll give the Barker's a call too, but if they're in the same range as Aeroplex, it's looking like it's a tie down for me. :-)

• 4 months later...