Recommendations For a New Pilot

ARiehl

I've given transition training to no less than a dozen new Mooney owners this year, and only a couple had any high performance and/or complex time.  You'll be just fine.  I want to echo what others have said - make sure you fly with an experienced Mooney instructor, preferably one that has vintage experience.  Let me know if I can help in any way!

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 10:53 AM, ARiehl said:

Hello ya’ll. I’m in this early stages of buying a short body Mooney. I am a fairly new pilot. I have had my certificate for 18 months or so and just wrapped up the instrument. This would be my second airplane. I am at about 250 hours total with 80 or so in C150 and 172s and the rest in a two seat Grumman. I have a little bit of complex time in an Arrow. Am I completely off the rails to be buying a Mooney? I would like a J-bar gear because it is simpler. 

Ditto to what others have already said.  In fact since you already have experience in multiple types, complex and you have your Instrument, it should not be hard at all for you.  I trained exclusively in 172's but I bought a Mooney J model about a month before my checkride in a flightschool 172.  I immediately transitioned to the Mooney and have been flying it for the last 22 years.  I personally like the electric gear so don't pass up a good purchase candidate Mooney just because it does not have a J bar,

• Like 1