Stuff in the taxi/landing light bay

Derek

I'm going to clean this stuff out, but before I do wondering what y'all think it is.

I haven't opened up this lens since acquiring the plane a few years ago. And honestly I never looked so closely inside it so I haven't noticed it until now.

Does stuff tend to blow around inside the wing and accumulate in the lens area?

Hoping it's detritus from some old situation before my time. Either way going to ask for some boroscope action at annual this fall.

PXL_20210912_144308751.thumb.jpg.0cc0b26bacb6f90330ea215d54bf406c.jpgPXL_20210912_144306245.thumb.jpg.b1be984fe29ecec742670ff18a8aebea.jpg

I was thinking it looked bug-like. Previous owner had a dirt floor hangar. I have it in an asphalt floor hangar. As far as I know, it has spent no meaningful time parked outside.

I do have my eyes on the LED lights... I actually have annual and then going into avionics in November. Maybe I should just "while you're in there" some LEDs.

Did you make that lens for the landing light @ArtVandelay?

Take a closer look…

Those appear to be seeds… that have all been opened, and the meat eaten out of them… then left for you to find….

Expect that there was a little critter doing the work…

To get this collection in any other way…. Would mean the plane would be full up with seeds…

Unfortunately, this means it’s time to be looking for the waste that these seeds were turned into….

Follow the wires to the next bay… all the way to the MLG… there is probably a nest in there somewhere…

PP thoughts only…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I was thinking it looked bug-like. Previous owner had a dirt floor hangar. I have it in an asphalt floor hangar. As far as I know, it has spent no meaningful time parked outside.
I do have my eyes on the LED lights... I actually have annual and then going into avionics in November. Maybe I should just "while you're in there" some LEDs.
Did you make that lens for the landing light [mention=11849]ArtVandelay[/mention]?

No, bought new lenses from glapinc.com

Take a closer look…
Those appear to be seeds… that have all been opened, and the meat eaten out of them… then left for you to find….
Expect that there was a little critter doing the work…

To get this collection in any other way…. Would mean the plane would be full up with seeds…

Unfortunately, this means it’s time to be looking for the waste that these seeds were turned into….
Follow the wires to the next bay… all the way to the MLG… there is probably a nest in there somewhere…
PP thoughts only…
Best regards,
-a-

If true, I expect the critter is a bird, and was getting into the wing via aileron control rod hole, so I would start tracking the path from there.

2 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

But the rat socks should stop that (assuming they’re in good shape)?

Field mice have an amazing ability to squeeze through the tiniest of openings. It would take a very thorough inspection of the socks to ensure they weren't compromised.  It could be a bird, but they seem to favor entering through the tail cone in my experience.

Expect the small teeth of the little critter are needed to gnaw the seed in half…

mice have incredible skill at fitting into tight spaces…

The same can be seen with squirrels and larger spaces… under the hood of a Chevy…

Birds don’t typically have the teeth or seed storing skills… their skills are more in line with nest building in the tail…

+1 on checking the rat socks and the duct tape that hold them in place…

-a-

If you go LED, you will have to grind new key ways in the retainer rings. Your filaments are oriented vertical which is a trick to give them longer life and orientation makes no difference on the incandescent bulb, but it does on LED.

A mouse only needs 1/4" opening. I would check carefully there is no damage from urine etc. in your wing.

• Like 1