New iPad Mini announced today 9/14/21

LANCECASPER

New mini announced today. Complete re-design. Narrow borders, larger 8.3 inch display, but same overall size as older ones. Retina display. 40% jump in CPU performance, 80% jump in GPU performance. They showed Foreflight on it at the introduction. USB-C connection rather than lightning. 5G on cellular models. Supports 2nd Gen Apple Pencil. Looks like most of the features of the iPad pro in a mini size. Starts at $499. Orders start today, available next week.

image.thumb.png.645bfe852a570611d29743151b3c05ad.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Too much of a tech geek.  Already ordered a new one.  My logic is they don't update them too often so grab one while you can.  The difference between the 5 and 6 is significant. I will let you know if it was worth it from a pure pilot point of view. 

Rumors were Apple was going to cancel the Mini. If that ever happens I will buy a 2nd. 

• Like 3

Watched the presentation live today….

the iPad mini included ForeFlight in the presentation… and was called out specifically…

The Ipencil clips magnetically to the side, while charging… makes writing more similar to pencil and paper….

The new iwatch has an O2 sensor and improved heart monitoring as well… unfortunately, the battery life is still a daily recharge issue… even that got improvements… fast charging…

So…

When it comes to speed and efficiency… the Apple bionic multi core chips have impressive performance when you need it… and impressive battery life when you need that too…

The presentation was about an hour long, delivered by about a dozen different people…

If you are still paying for the last iphone… there isn’t a tremendous compelling reason to get a new one…  except for the people that like to take movies inside the cockpit…. The multi focus capabilities generated after the video is recorded might capture the instrument panel details and the scenery out the window at the same time….  :)

If it were all free… I’d take several, in different colors….

Wow…!  Looks like the outlook calls for more of the good stuff going forwards…

There is sooo much detail covered from the 100% recycled aluminum, to the materials used for the tough screen, how well sealed things are from dust to water, and dimensions of the 5-nanometer chip layouts…

Have a look… see how much you can pick out of value…. To you, for aviation, your health, and your other interests…

Go Apple!  Lots of co-branding from ForeFlight to Nike products….  Need to get a New Mooney into next year’s presentation… :)

PP thoughts only, not an Apple guy…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dfurst said:

Rumors were Apple was going to cancel the Mini.

I believe thats for the mini iphone, not ipad. 

Ill also be getting the new mini and probably a iphone 12 or 13 some time in October at this rate... the 4 to 6 should be a nice upgrade, as the 4 really does slow down a whole lot these days. 

The new iPad Mini looks good.  I just purchased an iPad Pro 11.  Somehow I cracked the screen on my older iPad and looking at it the actual iPad was bent in the middle.  I have no idea how that happened.  Anyways....The Pro 11 is very nice with great clear video screen and is quite fast with the M1 chip.  It does fit on my yoke and I like the fact that I can view a full approach plate with out having to scroll around or zoom in.  Question for mini users....can you view a complete approach plate on the screen legibly without having to zoom in to areas to see the fine print like frequencies, altitudes, etc...?

5 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:The Pro 11 is very nice with great clear video screen and is quite fast with the M1 chip.  It does fit on my yoke and I like the fact that I can view a full approach plate with out having to scroll around or zoom in.  Question for mini users....can you view a complete approach plate on the screen legibly without having to zoom in to areas to see the fine print like frequencies, altitudes, etc...?

The 11” has been a good upgrade from the mini especially for my aging eyes. I could no longer put the whole approach play on a mini without having to zoom in.

• Like 1

FWIW there is a site called iMore that is saying that the 6th generation iPad Mini won't fit in cases designed for 5th generation.  I don't know if that would apply to the type of mounts we use on the yoke.  As a CB member I'm thinking that the yoke mounts for 5th generation could be modified to work with the new Mini.

hmm, this might just be the upgrade i've been waiting on, currently run Garmin PIlot on a samsung tab s7 and an ipad mini 5. 

Due to the iPad having an internal cell connection, it’s more used, but the S7 with the better screen is what I prefer using.

this may just give me the best of both worlds

38 minutes ago, whiskytango said:

FWIW there is a site called iMore that is saying that the 6th generation iPad Mini won't fit in cases designed for 5th generation.  I don't know if that would apply to the type of mounts we use on the yoke.  As a CB member I'm thinking that the yoke mounts for 5th generation could be modified to work with the new Mini.

I was going to say something about that. Each mini that I purchased resulted in my buying a new RAM cradle. Sigh.

20 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

I love my Ipad Mini. It fits perfectly well on my yoke. I run Garmin Pilot on it and think that its functionality IMHO is much better than that of the Garmin 760. The only issue that I am always a bit disappointed is its brightness and readability in sunlight. 

Oscar 

Have you used the Aera 760 extensively?  I have.  I'm an Apple Computer user since its beginning and I will finally be upgrading from an Android phone to an Apple Pro 13 and also an iPad Pro (I'd been waiting to see if a new Pro would be coming out. It didn't), but when it comes to the flexibility, brightness, and speed of inflight use, it's the special use Aera 760 all the way.

I recently flew with a student who had just purchased an Acclaim ultra with the G1000 NXi.  We were doing transition training.  We flew from Fredricksburg (T82) to San Jose (KSJC) where we did the training.  Prior to the flight he asked me about purchasing the 760.  I said let's talk about it after the flight where he could see how I used it.  While I can't tell you all the different ways it was used, by the end of the flight he was a believer.

22 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Have you used the Aera 760 extensively?  I have.  I'm an Apple Computer user since its beginning and I will finally be upgrading from an Android phone to an Apple Pro 13 and also an iPad Pro (I'd been waiting to see if a new Pro would be coming out. It didn't), but when it comes to the flexibility, brightness, and speed of inflight use, it's the special use Aera 760 all the way.

I recently flew with a student who had just purchased an Acclaim ultra with the G1000 NXi.  We were doing transition training.  We flew from Fredricksburg (T82) to San Jose (KSJC) where we did the training.  Prior to the flight he asked me about purchasing the 760.  I said let's talk about it after the flight where he could see how I used it.  While I can't you all the different ways it was used, by the end of the flight he was a believer.

I purchased the 760 mainly because of my disappointment with the brightness of the mini ipad screen. I unboxed it with very high hopes. But then the disappointments started to roll out, but let me start off with my positive reactions:

a) Screen: really great definition and brightness. I loved it

b) battery life superb.

c) sturdiness: superior to the ipad.

BUT:

a) To update my jeppesen approach charts, I can not update the charts via wifi (I fly often internationally, so I need Jepp). I need to download the update to a SD card and then proceed to update the unit. Cumbersome if it works well, nightmare if it does not work (Neither jepp nor Garmin are very responsive).

b) I update my GTN750 and 650 via Garmin Concerge services. I can not use the 760, so I need to do this via Garmin pilot anyway. So regardless I need an Apple device.

c) logic: may be it is because I have used Garmin Pilot for a while, but the logic of garmin pilot seems to me more user-friendly... but then again this may just be a question of habit.

May main issue are, that the ipad is more flexible and allows me to do things, that the 760 can not do (update databases) and somehow I like the logic of garmin pilot better than the 760. 

Oscar

b) 

I have not used the Aera 760 ever.  But a couple of things jump out at me that would probably prevent me from purchasing.  #1 - for less than the price of an Aera I can get an ipad that will give me what I need for aviation as well as other things non-aviation related.  The Aera is dedicated to aviation only and it is listed for $1599 on Garmin's website.  #2 - what they show on Garmin's website is nearly identical to Garmin Pilot that I use on my iPad and the GNC355 I have on my panel.

However, with that being said, I can see how it can be a very useful tool in the cockpit.  I just think that the iPad works better for me because for the money it gives me what I need both with aviation and outside of aviation.

14 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

I purchased the 760 mainly because of my disappointment with the brightness of the mini ipad screen. I unboxed it with very high hopes. But then the disappointments started to roll out, but let me start off with my positive reactions:

a) Screen: really great definition and brightness. I loved it

b) battery life superb.

c) sturdiness: superior to the ipad.

BUT:

a) To update my jeppesen approach charts, I can not update the charts via wifi (I fly often internationally, so I need Jepp). I need to download the update to a SD card and then proceed to update the unit. Cumbersome if it works well, nightmare if it does not work (Neither jepp nor Garmin are very responsive).

b) I update my GTN750 and 650 via Garmin Concerge services. I can not use the 760, so I need to do this via Garmin pilot anyway. So regardless I need an Apple device.

c) logic: may be it is because I have used Garmin Pilot for a while, but the logic of garmin pilot seems to me more user-friendly... but then again this may just be a question of habit.

May main issue are, that the ipad is more flexible and allows me to do things, that the 760 can not do (update databases) and somehow I like the logic of garmin pilot better than the 760. 

Oscar

b) 

The issues you seem concerned about have nothing to do with the actual in flight use of the 760.  I, too, use Jeppesen Charts and just download the updates to the mini SD Card.  I plug it in and it just works.  Jeppesen support works 24/7.  I've had no problem reaching them when one of my downloads failed.  Call the main number at any time.   After they say they are closed, another option will be presented to speak with support.  They answer immediately and have provided excellent support.  They just give me another download and I'm off and running.  Monthly, the updates download via WiFi.  The Maps take awhile to download and install.  While I use GP, at least for my older iPad Air, it is slow and clunky in flight and bombs out frequently just when it would be useful.  Foreflight does not.  I have both.  Even with my soon to buy new iPad, it will be a backup to the  760.

According to Apple's website the dimensions are:

iPad Mini 5:      8" x 5.3" x 0.24"

iPad Mini 6:      7.69" x 5.3" x 0.25"

I currently mount a mini 5 to the yoke with a RAM mount. The screen legibility and size are fine for me. I like it for the versatility of having one portable device that can do many things, and I like ForeFlight. I have run into a few issues with it as a cockpit device: battery life, hot shutdown, glare on the screen, turning the brightness all the way down accidentally making it completely unreadable in sunlight -- it was so dark that I couldn't see the control to increase the brightness.

The battery life issue was easily solved by mounting a MCI USB charging port behind the panel and running a charging cable along the underside of the yoke shaft. No wires stretched around the cabin and infinite power. The last problem I solved by never messing with the brightness in flight -- it needs to be full bright anyway, except at night. The hot shutdown issue is solved in flight by directing the pilot's lower wemac up toward the back of the iPad. I find that if the iPad is too hot, so am I. I do have to remember not to leave it on the yoke parked in the sun, however. The glare is annoying because the screen is highly reflective. I have a static cling sun shield that I place on the pilot's side window when the sun is at a bad angle. There are screen protectors available that might help, but I haven't tried one.

Skip

PS (Edit): I have no doubt that the Aera is a better cockpit device than the iPad. However, I currently maintain 2 laptops, 2 Garmin Nuvis two iPhones, one iPad, and will soon me maintaining a G3X, a G5, a GNC 255 and a GTN 650Xi. I don't think I can stand one more computer in my life :D

ipad mini 5 with Guardian flush panel mount here...I love the look of it and the ipad mini 5 is fine with the exception of the display.  Garmin pilot running on the ipad mini is noticeably dimmer than the other Garmin avionics in the panel.  I'd estimate the others are 20% brighter.  If the new Ipad mini is brighter, I'd upgrade but other than that the mini 5 does everything I ask of it.  Now I haven't flown with the 760.  It looks pretty good for sure.  My ipad mini is in front of the copilot and is 90% there for the passenger to play with.  No one has every complained about the brightness but it bugs me.

On the 760 vs iPad inflight question..  I have limited experience with the 760, but my understanding is that it cannot display real-time EIS data like Garmin Pilot can display on an iPad.  This seems like an obvious use case for the 760, and a strange oversight for the 760 software - maybe it's a planned future enhancement?

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about EIS on the 760..)

4 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

ipad mini 5 with Guardian flush panel mount here...I love the look of it and the ipad mini 5 is fine with the exception of the display.  Garmin pilot running on the ipad mini is noticeably dimmer than the other Garmin avionics in the panel.  I'd estimate the others are 20% brighter.  If the new Ipad mini is brighter, I'd upgrade but other than that the mini 5 is nice.  Now I haven't flown with the 760.  It looks pretty good for sure.  My ipad mini is in front of the copilot and is 90% there for the passenger to play with.  No one has every complained about the brightness but it bugs me.

According to apple.com the new ipad mini has the same brightness in nits as the mini 5.  Both are 500 nits maximum brightness.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

ipad mini 5 with Guardian flush panel mount here...I love the look of it and the ipad mini 5 is fine with the exception of the display.  Garmin pilot running on the ipad mini is noticeably dimmer than the other Garmin avionics in the panel.  I'd estimate the others are 20% brighter.  If the new Ipad mini is brighter, I'd upgrade but other than that the mini 5 is nice.  Now I haven't flown with the 760.  It looks pretty good for sure.  My ipad mini is in front of the copilot and is 90% there for the passenger to play with.  No one has every complained about the brightness but it bugs me.

Same - looks like  the 6 is going on the yoke and putting my one year old 5 on the copilot side flush mount with the panel mod this december..... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, toto said:

On the 760 vs iPad inflight question..  I have limited experience with the 760, but my understanding is that it cannot display real-time EIS data like Garmin Pilot can display on an iPad.  This seems like an obvious use case for the 760, and a strange oversight for the 760 software - maybe it's a planned future enhancement?

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about EIS on the 760..)

You are correct.  No EIS.  If you have an Engine Monitor in the panel, is that really a necessity?

20 minutes ago, donkaye said:

You are correct.  No EIS.  If you have an Engine Monitor in the panel, is that really a necessity?

Well - the Garmin Pilot option has always been a very nice-to-have thing in the event of an LCD failure.  If EIS is working, but you can't see your engine gauges because the display is broken, having a second display (especially one that comes for free with Garmin Pilot) is helpful.  This is especially true where you're displaying EIS on your single MFD screen (e.g., a G3X touch display that's doing EIS+PFD+MFD).