Tail Fairing tinnerman nuts

Shadrach

3 hours ago, RLCarter said:

+1 for rivnuts. If you want to use an adhesive to secure tinnermans in place, thread a piece of safety wire from the outside into the hole and then up where you can get to it, slide the tinnerman onto the safety wire and apply the adhesive, next twist a loop in the wire so the tinnerman can’t slide back off, but don’t capture the nut, pull the wire from the outside and it pull the tinnerman into place, once dry pull the wire out from the inside. This works with hard/ impossible to reach places with nuts and washers, use sewing thread the same as above to hold everything in place and run the screw in, the thread gets cut fairly quick. 

Brilliant! The only trouble is that the surface is likely covered in crud and I cannot see or reach to clean it.

16 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Brilliant! The only trouble is that the surface is likely covered in crud and I cannot see or reach to clean it.

It’s amazing how crapped up things can get, kinda messy but you can use one of the blowguns with a siphon hose to blindly drown it with your favorite solvent/cleaner….. Rivnuts are looking better and better :D

7 hours ago, RLCarter said:

It’s amazing how crapped up things can get, kinda messy but you can use one of the blowguns with a siphon hose to blindly drown it with your favorite solvent/cleaner….. Rivnuts are looking better and better :D

I blast the whole airframe with mineral spirits every annual. the problem is I can’t use a shopvac on it after.

Edited by Shadrach
J
  • Like 1