Help!!! My wife wants a boat!!!

Mcstealth

14 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Please give me advise on how to handle this. My wife has it in her mind to purchase a live on 40ft or bigger used yacht down in Corpus Christi, and go float around the Gulf of Mexico and live in it.... 

I was speechless. Of course I am saying, "yes dear", and obviously all I want is a Mooney. 

if you get a big enough boat, you can land a mooney on it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Will.iam said:

I’d be happy too if i could afford both an airplane and a 40ft boat. Haven’t figured out how to swing that yet. 

I passed on the boat so I could have more airplanes!

Clarence

Back in the day…

Dad bought two books…

Something about boats… and ‘Anyone Can Fly’

Several decades have gone by…

The boats got as big as a single guy and his wife can handle…. See reference above… not very big.

I read the airplane book….

Today’s discussion… driving around in a motor home…

Today’s realization….

We can fly the loop in three days… stay in hotels the whole time… use Uber for the ground transportation…

Sure, I would love to cruise @ six knots for thousands of miles… leaving a 52’ Grand Banks with twin diesel Cats… all over the east coast and missisip… fly home for weekends and shower in a full scale shower… and cook dinner in a full scale kitchen…

Go for it David!

:)

YOLO!

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, thinwing said:

spoken like a ragbagger begging his powerboat neighbor with twin desalinators and a walk in fridge for some ice!

I made 30 GPH of water, a countertop icemaker is fine, Our fridge / freezer was 14.5 cu ft. ( a 55 gl drum is 7.3 cu ft) and we had an Engel that we packed with usually Filet Mignon before we left as a deep freeze, washing machine in the guest head, KVH satellite TV

A stand up fridge/ freezer works great in a Marina, not so much in rough weather

On 9/9/2021 at 11:22 AM, Will.iam said:

There are yacht rentals in the bahamas for $8000 / wk. they check you out in it and let you go. Far cheaper to go this route to see if you both love it like it or hate it. And if you can’t swing 8k then that right there shows you shouldn’t get a yacht. 

Great idea. I will look into that. 

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

The Bollt family supporting the other MS families with their important decisions….

All the way from New England!

Go MS!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks.

I should have said - I kind of like the blue one.  There’s a space on top for your helicopter.

• Haha 1

Some of the boats passing us in the Anchorage at Lake Worth (Palm Beach), popular place to wait for a crossing.

Last photo is of all the Cayman Island boats that live tax free in the US, they have cages built over them and shrink wrap large Yachts to keep them from getting dusty in the off season I guess.

They are of course not really Cayman Island boats, just flagged there to avoid US taxes. None of these Yachts flew US flags

718AC627-3E94-4CA7-98D6-0D48519D2130.jpeg

CFAABD7A-4458-4B68-954B-209FF0298ACF.jpeg

0CE338C3-38E4-476A-936B-0F10908930D9.jpeg

E7579CB8-E376-43F8-852B-FB277B0B3BC7.jpeg

5CDFE900-42D4-4448-AE43-DBA1C2463453.jpeg

81DACC0E-DEFC-47C9-899D-5F13570C5392.jpeg

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 10:01 AM, Mcstealth said:

Please give me advise on how to handle this. My wife has it in her mind to purchase a live on 40ft or bigger used yacht down in Corpus Christi, and go float around the Gulf of Mexico and live in it.... 

I was speechless. Of course I am saying, "yes dear", and obviously all I want is a Mooney. 

My EX-wife was not interested in flying...

• Haha 1

If you are going to live on a boat, sell the house, there might be enough proceeds to buy a boat and a Mooney….sounds like a win-win.
I owned both, during a hurricane evacuation having a Mooney that allows you to fly away is a luxury. You’ll need to pick a base of operations. Personally I would choose east coast of Florida, then you can make leisurely trips to the Bahamas.

On 9/11/2021 at 9:58 PM, A64Pilot said:

They are of course not really Cayman Island boats, just flagged there to avoid US taxes. None of these Yachts flew US flags

718AC627-3E94-4CA7-98D6-0D48519D2130.jpeg

It just makes me sad cheapskates with many billions of dollars to their name but too cheap to pay taxes on their hundred million dollar toy.