screen crack on GNS 530 W

sekomel

hi everyone

unfortunately, today I got very bad surprise with the picture below..

have no idea how did it happen, but probably someone dropped it off while working on the panel..

anyway..do you guys know any avionics shop to fix/repair this issue as Garmin is off.

thanks a million in advance

seko

30B5AEC6-5E6A-4A15-BEF9-508F97305BDA.jpeg

DDCE7DBF-036E-406F-8D78-A4211357DAA8.jpeg

On 9/8/2021 at 3:48 PM, PT20J said:

You can take it to any Garmin dealer and they will send it back to Garmin for a flat rate repair charge. Garmin will exchange your unit for a refurbished unit.

Skip

I sent my 430 back yesterday to Garmin for flat repair repair after having no success with a replacement memory battery.  I'm hoping it comes back with a new membrane key pad, display, and memory battery.  I've heard they do all that but have been unable to verify exactly.  The flip flop key was fussy, the display washed out from the pilots seat, and the battery was kaput.  Will know in about two weeks.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

I sent my 430 back yesterday to Garmin for flat repair repair after having no success with a replacement memory battery.  I'm hoping it comes back with a new membrane key pad, display, and memory battery.  I've heard they do all that but have been unable to verify exactly.  The flip flop key was fussy, the display washed out from the pilots seat, and the battery was kaput.  Will know in about two weeks.  

My understanding is that newer units returned for repair just go into a pile for refurbishment and a refurbished unit is shipped back. That's certainly what happened with my GTX 345 warranty repair. But, at some point, Garmin starts running out of spare parts on the older units and will probably do the minimum to get it going again. Let us know what you get back.

Skip

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PT20J said:

My understanding is that newer units returned for repair just go into a pile for refurbishment and a refurbished unit is shipped back. That's certainly what happened with my GTX 345 warranty repair. But, at some point, Garmin starts running out of spare parts on the older units and will probably do the minimum to get it going again. Let us know what you get back.

Skip

For $1700 or so, I hope they do more than replace the battery.  :/    

30 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

For $1700 or so, I hope they do more than replace the battery.  :/    

The museum sent in a 430 a while back and Garmin sent it back. Apparently they are no longer repairing 28v units -- it has to be a multi-voltage unit. I can't imagine a battery being an issue, but I understand from my Garmin dealer that the displays are no longer manufactured and are in short supply.

Skip

On 9/11/2021 at 10:32 AM, DCarlton said:

You should definitely report any problems when you send it in and not expect them to look for things to fix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

You should definitely report any problems when you send it in and not expect them to look for things to fix. 

That was my thinking.  I told the avionics shop exactly what I would squawk.  Don't know if it made it to a work order.  Experience suggests Garmin sends everything back "like new".  I had my KX-155 overhauled by Mid Continent with a new display and love it.  Still a great #2 radio.  Hoping for the same with the 430.  I'm used to it; it's all I need if it's working well.     

• Like 1

hi guys

thanks a million for your valuable time and your posts.

unfortunately, there are not any garmin dealer in turkey (I have contacted them already but they have a very long process) can you guys suggest me any avionics shops in the states (does not matter where it is I will ship it anyway)

thanks a million again, really appreciated 

seko