Anyone use an oximeter

Dream to fly

Been doing some training up in the low teens, learning the hills and mountains and using oxygen as required but I was interested in seeing if an oximeter would be a good tool to have like a CO meter.  I did a quick search and there are literally hundreds all claiming the world will be a better place with their product.  Does anyone use them and if so which one?  

11 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

Been doing some training up in the low teens, learning the hills and mountains and using oxygen as required but I was interested in seeing if an oximeter would be a good tool to have like a CO meter.  I did a quick search and there are literally hundreds all claiming the world will be a better place with their product.  Does anyone use them and if so which one?  

I've got 3 of them. I really like the Innova model. It provides a PI% which helps you understand whether or not the unit is sitting correctly on your finger. 

https://www.amazon.com/Innovo-Fingertip-Oximeter-Plethysmograph-Perfusion/dp/B077ZJ1ZKZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=22HAXNPYXZMCG&dchild=1&keywords=innova+oximeter&qid=1631113276&sprefix=innova+ox%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTEEyTzFCNUlaSDc4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzMxNDMxMkdEUVJMNEpWUERaJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNTM4NDUzTDRDM0k5NTNSSjFYJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Of the 3 units I own, I have used all 3 at the same time and they all are within a single digit of the % they report.

• Thanks 1

They're really common for cockpit use.   Even the cheapie pulse oximeter units on Amazon work well.   I've been using them for years, and it's a good idea to use them frequently enough to get an idea of your own sensitivities and typical reponses.   Different people react differently to altitude, and knowing your own typical saturation levels and pulse behavior is beneficial to knowing when things are going well or not.

I've recently done a few trips around the country in the mid-teens. I don't have a dedicated pulse oximeter, but my Galaxy S7 has one built-in. It might not be as convenient or accurate as dedicated ones, but it's good to know I'm at least carrying something around with me all the time.

I've been taking lessons in a C172 up in the teens to get used to flying to the west.  My CFI and I use O2 be but neither one of us had a way of really knowing where our O2 levels were.  So I figured it would be a good investment and they are not stupid expensive.  

• Like 1

If you use an altitude compensated O2 unit. Get to know the flow rates that work for you, not what is written on the gauge or tube. Do this by observing your O2 saturation vs the dial. Lot's of variables are involved, but the oximeter has the final say, so learn where to adjust your O2 dial. Sort of like being able to quickly adjust your engine mixture.

5 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

I have 2 portable OXIMETERS and one installed in the plane.

3C11823C-541D-4CAB-8356-9B1894CFB00E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, MisfitSELF said:

Has anyone used the new Apple Watch as a oximeter in flight?

yes.  very hit or miss, and i do not feel all that accurate.  when you can get it to read (maybe 10 percent of the time) i get saturation levels in the high 90s at 11500 feet.  i KNOW it is not that high.  checked with a finger oximter, its usually 5-10 percent lower.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MisfitSELF said:

Has anyone used the new Apple Watch as a oximeter in flight?

I do, I stopped using my dedicated meter because its good enough for the girls I go out with. I find you need to snug the watch down or just slide it up your wrist enough to make sure it sits well on your arm.

If you are looking to buy one wait until the 3rd week of this month as there is a new watch coming.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dzeleski said:

I do, I stopped using my dedicated meter because its good enough for the girls I go out with. I find you need to snug the watch down or just slide it up your wrist enough to make sure it sits well on your arm.

If you are looking to buy one wait until the 3rd week of this month as there is a new watch coming.

i have tried both of those with not real good results.  i just cant seem to hold still enough, lol.  

5 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

I've been taking lessons in a C172 up in the teens to get used to flying to the west.  My CFI and I use O2 be but neither one of us had a way of really knowing where our O2 levels were.  So I figured it would be a good investment and they are not stupid expensive.  

I didn’t know a C172 would make it to the Teens in the summertime with 2 adults onboard.:D:lol:

• Haha 1

You can usually improve your O2% by just sitting up straight and taking some deep breaths. I’ve seen as much as 6% gain. See mamma was right don’t slouch it’s bad for posture and oxygen uptake. If you do this you need to remember to breathe as your body’s natural response to breathe is triggered off your CO2 levels and not your O2 level and you can get lower than you started if you are not careful.  

• Like 1

I didn’t know a C172 would make it to the Teens in the summertime with 2 adults onboard.
It takes a long freaking time. I was turning back twice on the trip. I just keep telling myself it will make the Mooney seem so much better

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MisfitSELF said:

If I have to use O2, I use a pulse-oximeter.  If I get near or below 90%, I ramp up the flow and remind myself to breath through the nose more.

I use oxygen in my 231 in the exact same manner. Manage to your SPO2 numbers via oxygen flow, using the flow meter as a general reference.  That way, you don’t let hypoxia convince you that you’re fine when you’re not. 

46 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

It takes a long freaking time. I was turning back twice on the trip. I just keep telling myself it will make the Mooney seem so much better

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

The real question is why? You can get just about anywhere at 12,5 and below. Climbing to the teens for the sake of it over flat land doesn't teach you much 

Edited by philip_g

3 hours ago, bmcconnaha said:

i have tried both of those with not real good results.  i just cant seem to hold still enough, lol.  

It has worked well for me, no problem getting a reading and I compared it to my medical grade pulse oxymeter and it is within 1% for all of my measurements.

5 hours ago, philip_g said:

The real question is why? You can get just about anywhere at 12,5 and below. Climbing to the teens for the sake of it over flat land doesn't teach you much 

Are you saying you stick to low altitudes? Up high can be better weather, better winds etc. Why slug it out jn the low vis weather and get kicked in the pants over the mountains when you can sit back in the smooth clear up high?

• Like 1

I feel exactly the opposite. I don’t understand why anybody would fly in hot and bumpy weather when they can fly in cool smooth comfort above 10K AGL. With rare exceptions every trip is between 11.5K and 17.5K. The key is an O2 system that is comfortable and efficient to use.
  • Like 3