AC Condenser Fan Motor source

Lee A.

2008 Acclaim S:

My mechanic just removed my fan motor for the air conditioning condenser.  The bearings are worn out and the the brushes as well.

Mooney only supplies the ENTIRE assembly (fan, motor, condenser coil, numerous shrouds and mounting brackets) and the cost is around $20k.

All I need is the motor overhauled:

Who makes it?

Who can overhaul it?

What is the part number?

Is there a source for brushes and bearings?

Here is a photo:

FanMotor.jpg

• Sad 1

On 9/7/2021 at 1:46 PM, Lee A. said:

2008 Acclaim S:

My mechanic just removed my fan motor for the air conditioning condenser.  The bearings are worn out and the the brushes as well.

Mooney only supplies the ENTIRE assembly (fan, motor, condenser coil, numerous shrouds and mounting brackets) and the cost is around $20k.

All I need is the motor overhauled:

Who makes it?

Who can overhaul it?

What is the part number?

Is there a source for brushes and bearings?

Here is a photo:

FanMotor.jpg

Lee,

Did you see the reply from M20Doc?

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

On 9/11/2021 at 12:52 PM, carusoam said:

Lee,

Did you see the reply from M20Doc?

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

Yes, thanks.

I called AeroMotors and gave them the Mooney and OEM part numbers.  Unfortunately it is not a part within their capability.

• Sad 1

The part is OEM by Enviro Systems.  I spoke with them on the phone:

The last year they manufactured this motor was 2006.

The last one they overhauled at a cost of $7000!

Apparently all the new Mooneys are getting all electric AC from Kelley Aerospace under an STC now for $30k.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:20 PM, Lee A. said:

Apparently all the new Mooneys are getting all electric AC from Kelley Aerospace under an STC now for $30k.

The Kelley system is much better in many respects.  

1. it doesn’t add work for the fragile starter adapter 
  2. it gets the weight aft, which is big for the acclaim
  3. it can be run from an apu 
  4. it can operate during takeoff, though I’d carefully monitor CO levels

that said, I’d be really surprised if a motor repair shop couldn’t fix it.

i hade the same issue with a Carrier A/C unit on my motorhome.  Carrier got out of that market and ceased supporting the low profile units.

very frustrating, but if you’re going to keep the plane for a while, consider the Kelley unit.

-dan

• Like 3

On 9/15/2021 at 10:17 PM, Lee A. said:

Yes, thanks.

I called AeroMotors and gave them the Mooney and OEM part numbers.  Unfortunately it is not a part within their capability.

If you call back and explain you just need it fixed they may help you.  They just can’t issue an 8130.  But repairs are not the same thing as overhauled 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lee A. said:

Good news!

One of the bearings had disintegrated, save a part number.  My mechanic was able to source a replacement bearing and fixed it!

Brushes still have 50% life left.  Going to keep it running. 

That's the way to do it.

• 1 year later...

I had my AC motor lock up on the way to the Summit last year.   

Air Mods took care of it during this years annual..   The rear bearing had disintegrated.  $13 in bearings, $3000 in labor. 

It can be done without pumping down the AC system, there is just enough flex in the hoses to get the motor out. 

On 9/17/2021 at 6:04 PM, Lee A. said:

Good news!

One of the bearings had disintegrated, save a part number.  My mechanic was able to source a replacement bearing and fixed it!

Brushes still have 50% life left.  Going to keep it running. 

I would replace the brushes now, you can take brushes that are slightly larger and file them down if you have to.

Reason I would replace them is worn brushes / slack brush springs will arc the commentator, and then you’re done, new motor time. Back in the day often you could get motors rewound and commutators turned on a lathe, but not anymore, motor rebuilders have gone the way of TV repairmen and shoe cobblers it seems.