Fun surprise during my oil change

ShuRugal

Found a fun surprise in my oil suction screen Saturday doing an oil change... Looks like a piece of well-cooked electrical tape.

Engine was overhauled in 2007... Must have been hanging out in there the whole time? I certainly haven't put any tape into the fill tube in the 4 years I've owned it...4cb3786eb5f5e617b8f5ee5e07076a8a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I found a piece of shop rag in my old F suction screen the first time I ever did an oil change on it when I first bought it. I learned proper shop English trying to re safety tie it the first time putting it all back together.
Yeah, the throttle linkage is exactly where my hand and pliers need to be for doing the safety wire on that cap. Took me longer to wire the cap back on than the rest of the oil change.

Lynn found a piece of twisted safety wire, about a half inch long, clipped at each end in my strainer.  Even though it was written in my logbook the strainer was checked, Lynn looked me in the eye and said he didn't care what was in my logbook, it hadn't been done in some time.  The relocated oil cooler, late model cowl flaps and undrilled throttle bracket make removing the strainer quite a task.

Great pic Shu!
Wonder if they used the tape to hold something in place during the OH / reassembly process…
Definitely didn’t melt away at engine oil temps…
Best regards,
-a-
My guess is that it was used to position something like a bearing shell, and got dropped into the case by accident when all such aides were being pulled.

• Thanks 1